Using cauliflower to replace carbs (Pizza, mashed potatos, tacos)

Options

Replies

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »
    Cauliflower is carbs. You're replacing simple carbs with complex carbs, but they're all carbs.

I've been on maintenance the last few months which really simplifies things, but all along I've eaten pretty much whatever I wanted to eat, if I really wanted it. Over time I just learned to fill up on "good" things throughout most of the day, and I learned to stop and think about cravings before deciding whether or not I'd give in to them.

HOWEVER, with insulin resistance the type of carb DOES matter.

The first line of the OP says "due to insulin resistance and hypothyroidism".

• mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    This is not something I would have ever made myself, but my good friend was diagnosed with celiac disease, so she made us a cauliflower crust pizza one night.

While it was *not* pizza, it was, in fact, delicious! She has made it a whole bunch, so maybe she has perfected the recipe, but her crust was crunchy, cheesy, delicousness. So, I say, try it. You might like it!
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm not sure about all the recipes out there, but I've tried making the cauliflower pizza crust from Cooking With Jax, and I agree with those who have tried it; it definitely doesn't make up for the delicious, carby breadiness of a real pizza crust, but it's a nice vehicle for the toppings.

It doesn't taste TOO cauliflowery if you make sure to add plenty of parmesan cheese to the dough (I don't like my pizza to taste like cauliflower,so it was worth the extra calories!), and definitely make sure to drain the cauliflower well! On the bright side, I was able to eat half of a very large pizza for just 500 calories with that crust, lol! ;)

ETA: Also, about the low carb wraps: I've tried the Tumaro ones, and they're delicious with fillings! Without adequate fillings, they taste like cardboard, but once you fill them you don't taste that. For soft-shell tacos, I would definitely recommend! :)
  • jessakittyis
    jessakittyis Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've used cauliflower to make pizza crust before.. I wouldn't really call it pizza but it was pretty good. You definetly couldn't pick up a slice but it tasted like pizza minus the chewy crust (which is obviously the best part).

I've had more success using cauliflower as a rice replacement. If you don't over cook it the texture can be sort of like rice and I usually eat it under chili or some other kind of stew so it's not to noticeable.

I used to cut out all carbs like rice and potatoes and bread but I really craved it and didn't have any medical reason not to eat it so now I just try to eat those things in moderation because I know leaving them out of my diet all together was not sustainable in the long run.

Good luck!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    redheaddee wrote: »
    No. I eat what I want, in moderation. If I want pizza, I have pizza...but 1-2 slices instead of a half a large pizza like I used to eat. I have found over much trial and error that if I try to deprive or make poor substitutions (such as cauliflower for pizza. Why god, why?! :# ), I will fail miserably in the long run. So eat what you like, make it fit your calorie and macro goals, and for the love of god, stop the cauliflower madness. It is not a substitute for anything ever.

I feel like people are ignoring that the OP has a medical reason why she can't just eat carbs in moderation...

Nope. My brother is diabetic, eats carbs in moderation. Like I said, if it fits your calorie and MACROS goals (of which carbohydrates is one). I feel like people are ignoring the entirely of what was written.
  • brewinggirl_butskinnier
    Options
    I know that this thread is about cauliflower (or something completely off-topic lol) but I wanted to put in a plug for zucchini lasagna (skinnytaste has a good recipe). It's a great way to get some veggies in and tastes awesome. My kids even love it!!
  • sarabeth624
    sarabeth624 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Google "Meatza" :)
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else, but I've been putting califlower (actually it's called Normandy blend) in some soups lately and Omg the califlower breaks up like rice. It's divine!
    I'd like to try the pizza once, see what it's like!
    Ive found that taco salad is really good. If I put all the things that I normally would on nachos....like olives, good salsa, and sourcream...I sometimes don't miss the chips!

Bahahah and for the humor of it....you could always try those weaved bacon crusts! I've never done it but drool everytime I see them.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    No. I eat what I want, in moderation. If I want pizza, I have pizza...but 1-2 slices instead of a half a large pizza like I used to eat. I have found over much trial and error that if I try to deprive or make poor substitutions (such as cauliflower for pizza. Why god, why?! :# ), I will fail miserably in the long run. So eat what you like, make it fit your calorie and macro goals, and for the love of god, stop the cauliflower madness. It is not a substitute for anything ever.

I feel like people are ignoring that the OP has a medical reason why she can't just eat carbs in moderation...

Nope. My brother is diabetic, eats carbs in moderation. Like I said, if it fits your calorie and MACROS goals (of which carbohydrates is one). I feel like people are ignoring the entirely of what was written.

I'm not sure basic IIFYM is the best advice for someone with hypothyroidism and IR. Types of carbs can matter, meal composition can matter, etc. Flexible eating is fine but since when did it become the cure to every problem?
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Google "Paleo/Primal/Clean-eating [thing you want to eat]" and find a zillion ways to enjoy the things you miss for a fraction of the carbs. I always have coconut, garbanzo bean, and almond flours on hand.

I make a cauliflower pizza crust with coconut flour, eggs, and nutritional yeast. It's very flavorful and super low in calories and carbs. Haters gonna hate, but vegetable substitutes help me get more veggies and keep me on track.

For nachos, I've heard of people using pork rinds. You could use plantain chips though they have a few more carbs.

I also think sprouted grain breads and tortillas are ok for insulin resistance. I always have a loaf of Ezekiel bread in the house.
  • sb41288
    sb41288 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of great suggestion's and comments so far. Thank you all!
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Idk many cauliflower recipes, but I damn sure love me some cauliflower mash! Its sooo good. Oh and I also make cauliflower fried "rice" and cauliflower "rice" pilaf. Amazing. I am not a low carb eater, but I love eating it cause it taste delish.

I am sure there are plenty recipes that you can find on pinterest.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I personally enjoy cauli-crust pizza. As has been said, doesn't taste like real crust. We also stopped b/c it's kind of time-intensive and we kept putting more cheese into the crust to make it stick together and taste better. Still, those pizzas were pretty decent. Highly suggest chopped garlic as a topping.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    sb41288 wrote: »
    Cauliflower is carbs. You're replacing simple carbs with complex carbs, but they're all carbs.

I've been on maintenance the last few months which really simplifies things, but all along I've eaten pretty much whatever I wanted to eat, if I really wanted it. Over time I just learned to fill up on "good" things throughout most of the day, and I learned to stop and think about cravings before deciding whether or not I'd give in to them.

Yes cauliflower has carbs but it's meniscal compared to grains. I can eat lots of cauliflower and my insulin will not jump anywhere near it would, if I ate a slice of bread.

Sorry, I'm not trying to tell you how to eat or how to best deal with your medical issues. I'm just pointing out the obvious - that cauliflower is made up mainly of carbs. You're not the first person I've seen talking about eating veggies as a way to give up carbs.

Depending on how you compare the two, cauliflower can match grains for carb content. It doesn't work if you compare by weight or volume, but if you compare similar calorie counts of whole wheat bread and cauliflower, you'll find almost identical carb count. (113 calories of cauliflower with 24 grams of carbs vs 120 calories of whole wheat bread with 24 grams of carbs.) Most people wouldn't see that in their daily diets since those calorie counts come from just 2 slices of bread vs 16 ounces of cauliflower.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Do you have insulin resistance and hypothyroidism?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Just stop.

• sb41288
    sb41288 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Just stop.

lol, thanks
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Just stop.

lol, thanks

I'll never understand these posts. You told him your situation. You asked for specific advice. He replies with "I eat pizza if I want pizza".

Good luck. I do agree that some of the paleo sites (ignore the ensuing argument about that word) have good recipes. The low carb group here could help as well. The PCOS group has good recipes as well.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

Just stop.

Not gonna happen. Entitled to and stand by my opinion. This IS, in fact, a PUBLIC forum.

A person who is diabetic and has hypothyroidism does not have to stop eating foods. They do need to manage their intake as directed by their physician or nutritionist. Who would, unless there is more to this story, tell you pizza and all other foods are OK IN MODERATION. <~~key words here.

And regardless of anyone's medical anything, cauliflower is not and should never be used as a substitute to pizza. Ever.

• establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options

Yes cauliflower has carbs but it's meniscal compared to grains. I can eat lots of cauliflower and my insulin will not jump anywhere near it would, if I ate a slice of bread.

Sorry, I'm not trying to tell you how to eat or how to best deal with your medical issues. I'm just pointing out the obvious - that cauliflower is made up mainly of carbs. You're not the first person I've seen talking about eating veggies as a way to give up carbs.

Depending on how you compare the two, cauliflower can match grains for carb content. It doesn't work if you compare by weight or volume, but if you compare similar calorie counts of whole wheat bread and cauliflower, you'll find almost identical carb count. (113 calories of cauliflower with 24 grams of carbs vs 120 calories of whole wheat bread with 24 grams of carbs.) Most people wouldn't see that in their daily diets since those calorie counts come from just 2 slices of bread vs 16 ounces of cauliflower.

Low carb is not the same as no carb.

Most people don't eat 16oz of cauliflower in one sitting, so really your point is moot. Plus, that amount of cauliflower has 11g of fiber. Bread typically does not have that much fiber unless it's low carb/high fiber bread.