NSV - Tough Mudder!

Options
RoseTears143
RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
Well, I did it!!! I participated in the Tough Mudder NC on 10/25 and didn't die :D.

I was doubting myself leading up to it because I had the mindset only elite athletes could do it, and I was way to big and out of shape to do it. But once I was there and saw the variety of people ready to go have fun - my mind was eased.

It's sort of funny how we can tell ourselves we can't do something based on our weight, or convince ourselves we aren't fit enough to try something. It's all in your mindset. If you tell yourself you can't do something, you won't be able to do it. Needless to say, my entire body was sore before the 10 miles was even done. But I made it all the way to the end, and got my awesome headband :D. I am still recovering, and have several wicked bruises still healing, but I can't wait to do my next one!!

This experience has tought me a lot and has given me a new perspective on things. Don't tell yourself you can't do something!!!! Set your goals and keep going until you reach them. Even if others run past you when you're walking. Don't give up on yourself. Rock on!!

Replies

• Jenism1
    Jenism1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    wow!! Congrats! You should be very proud of yourself! I have been thinking about doing one for a couple of years now...I should "Just do it"! Way to go!
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    Jenism1 wrote: »
    wow!! Congrats! You should be very proud of yourself! I have been thinking about doing one for a couple of years now...I should "Just do it"! Way to go!

Definitely go for it. Just sign up for one and do it. It's such a great experience!! :)
  • fitfatty88
    fitfatty88 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! That's such an excellent mindset :)
  • seren1ty74
    seren1ty74 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    congrats!!
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Congrats! A friend of mine did the same one! When I asked her if she would do it again- she very quickly replied NO. Lol. She said once was enough and glad she did it but she will move on to something else. What about you? Would you do it again?
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    thanks guys :)
    Congrats! A friend of mine did the same one! When I asked her if she would do it again- she very quickly replied NO. Lol. She said once was enough and glad she did it but she will move on to something else. What about you? Would you do it again?

I am already planning on doing at least 3 next year, and a Warrior Dash. I had so much fun!
  • Local_Atlantis
    Local_Atlantis Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    That's amazing!! That is a new ultimate goal of mine, once I get my fitness up!
    What did you do to prepare?
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    lisajo89 wrote: »
    That's amazing!! That is a new ultimate goal of mine, once I get my fitness up!
    What did you do to prepare?

I was doing Crossfit on and off for a few months. But for the 6 weeks or so leading up to it work got insane and it was either give up the 7 hours of sleep a night I was getting or workout. Working out was sacrificed. And with travelling home on weekends, I didn't really make time to commit to working out.

So while I didn't do too horribly, I could have done better. I needed help on most of the obstacles (which a lot of people did so I didn't feel too bad about that). But with the next one, I want to do most (if not everything) on my own without help. And without having to walk most of the way. That in itself could be a huge challenge because different locations have different terrain (hills, fields, woods, rocks, etc).

But now that I have done one and know what to expect, training will be easier for me. I plan to get back to running and start completely over with doing a couth to 5k program, then progress to a 10k, and then a 21k (half marathon). And I plan to do some sort of strength training (preferably get back to Crossfit classes) 3 days a week to get my strength back up. There is a lot of climbing involved in a TM, so upper body strength is important...which I severely lack. My legs are pretty strong, but that doesn't help you pull yourself up onto things. :)
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    great job!!! I'm signed up for a Spartan race coming up here in december....

I'm starting to think....what the f was I thinking??? lol
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    great job!!! I'm signed up for a Spartan race coming up here in december....

I'm starting to think....what the f was I thinking??? lol

that's so awesome!!! Good luck on it :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!