Tips and tricks for losing weight

Options
2»

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    There are no tricks, it's about a calorie deficit, plain and simple. Do that, and you'll lose. Don't do it and you won't.

Now, there are most definitely tricks to helping maintain/be consistent with your diet, but those will vary person to person.
    • some people have to eliminate certain "trigger" foods, some people don't
    • some people do better eating 1 or 2 large meals per day, some people like several smaller meals
    • some people need to keep busy to prevent eating out of boredom, others don't have a problem with it.
    • etc etc etc

Ultimately, the key to long term success is to find your happy place - where you're eating the right amounts of the correct foods without unnecessarily restricting yourself.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Here's a handy Halloween candy work-out chart q8kwlsnmx3k2.jpg

I'm sorry you look at food this way!

I'm not sorry that I will eat some of those today and not worry about it.
  • Artificer22
    Artificer22 Posts: 68 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

That chart is absolutely awful. It makes exercise seem like a punishment. That is the exact OPPOSITE of what you want to do. I went off on a long post about this exact sort of thing where they were thinking if changing the dietary listing of foods to better reflect what it would take to burn. It's down right criminal. Having a treat is a great way to keep yourself on track. It's all about moderation and exercise. You can gain weight just as easily from over indulging in something that's "healthy" as something that's not. EXERCISE is not punishment
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

That chart is absolutely awful. It makes exercise seem like a punishment. That is the exact OPPOSITE of what you want to do. I went off on a long post about this exact sort of thing where they were thinking if changing the dietary listing of foods to better reflect what it would take to burn. It's down right criminal. Having a treat is a great way to keep yourself on track. It's all about moderation and exercise. You can gain weight just as easily from over indulging in something that's "healthy" as something that's not. EXERCISE is not punishment

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Your calories are too low to lose 10 lbs. You should be aiming for .5 lb loss/week now that you're in the final stretch. By doing this slowly (and sustainably), you're less likely to gain it all back when you stop because:
    1. Losing weight slowly means you're retaining more muscle/lean mass. That muscle/lean mass becomes even more important when you're trying to maintain your weight when you hit your goal.
    2. You're less likely to go "Well, I hit my goal, now I can eat whatever" when you arrive at it because you will be slowly transitioning to your maintenance calories.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that if I ate a mini snickers and then "worked it off" with 50 Burpees, I would vom. Does MFP have an exercise entry for "throwing up mini snickers"?
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that if I ate a mini snickers and then "worked it off" with 50 Burpees, I would vom. Does MFP have an exercise entry for "throwing up mini snickers"?

The better question is... how many of those cals do you log?

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    AliceDark wrote: »

The better question is... how many of those cals do you log?
    Well, I suppose you'd have to weigh the "leftovers"...

• mdboss10
    mdboss10 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The best thing that worked for me is to follow a low-sugar, good carb diet. Books like the South Beach diet and Sugar Busters really opened my eyes to what added sugar (emphasis on the term "added") and refined, white starches are doing to our health and waistlines. At first, it is really, really hard to break your refined starch and added sugar addiction. But once you do, you are forced to eat nothing but fruits, veggies, proteins, healthy fats, and 100% whole grains instead. It took about 2-3 weeks of painful adjustment, but once you get over the hill, you will feel great and the weight will come off. It also makes it really easy to track your calories because practically everything you are eating is already highly nutritious and low-calorie.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    skype19.gif
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    mdboss10 wrote: »
    The best thing that worked for me is to follow a low-sugar, good carb diet. Books like the South Beach diet and Sugar Busters really opened my eyes to what added sugar (emphasis on the term "added") and refined, white starches are doing to our health and waistlines. At first, it is really, really hard to break your refined starch and added sugar addiction. But once you do, you are forced to eat nothing but fruits, veggies, proteins, healthy fats, and 100% whole grains instead. It took about 2-3 weeks of painful adjustment, but once you get over the hill, you will feel great and the weight will come off. It also makes it really easy to track your calories because practically everything you are eating is already highly nutritious and low-calorie.

huh?
  • ChubbieCanuck
    ChubbieCanuck Posts: 45 Member
    Options

I just posted this a joke.........who so serious!!!

• Tim_Simons
    Tim_Simons Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hey girl, looks like you are in the right weight scale. The goal of exercise is to be fit, not skinny. You eat to nourish your body and have a stronger body. But if you want to go skinny then you can consult a professional trainer so he/she can advise you.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Weight loss only requires a deficit. Log accurately and stay in a deficit.
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Weight loss only requires a deficit. Log accurately and stay in a deficit.

Yup.

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

I just posted this a joke.........who so serious!!!
    I thought it was funny. I also think it's funny that so many here believe that you MUST eat back every exercise calorie but you must NOT exercise off any junk food calories. :D

Because you know it's all about that face (stuffing it, that is).