hi guys im scared to lose weight because of loss skin help please :(

Options
is there any way around surgery or is it the only way out ? please help me :s im just so sick of being fat :( my gf left me cause i was fat so i want to loss the weight but soooo scared of lose skin :\ plus is 1 pund a week better than 2 pounds im a noob at this and have no cue what im doing plz help :'(

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Loose skin is dependent on a lot of different factors, including how much you have to lose, genetics, etc. Your age is probably going to work in your favor here. For what it's worth, I lost about 55 pounds and I have very little lose skin. You won't know whether or not you have it until after you've lost the weight, unfortunately.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree that your age is going to work in your favor. I've lost around the same amount as the previous poster and have a bit to go yet but I'm pretty confident that my skin will mostly be okay. You are 20 years younger than me so I feel like you are probably in a pretty good spot. Just keep in mind that it can take a couple of years once you are done with weight loss for the skin to go back to its eventual shape. You might feel like it gets more stretched out looking or flabby during the weight loss process but that's because there's less flat to make it stretched taut. That is completely normal and it will eventually shrink.

• farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Um girlfriend of mine went from 220 to 160something, no loose skin. Exercise and toning are huge parts that play in it I think.
    Wouldn't worry bout it.
  • nypdpolicemfp
    Options
    thanks for your help guys <3B)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It helps if you lose slowly. Skin does regenerate, but slowly.
  • teemama2
    teemama2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I agree with farmers_daughter post.
    As far as I am concerned yes surgery would be great if it weren't so inhibitive and expensive BUT I look at myself and I know I am better off with extra skin then the way I used to be!
  • nypdpolicemfp
    Options
    thanks guys im feeling a lot better about it now ;)
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    You're 19. The younger you are, the less likely to have loose skin. You should be fine.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    As long as you do it in a healthy, well-paced manner, you should be fine. And even if you do end up with some loose skin (and I really mean loose skin, not just residual fat that's hard to lose), you'll still be healthier than if you wouldn't have lost the weight at all.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I am 63. I have lost 160#. Have been maintaining for about 11 months. I did have loose skin, but it has tightened up some over the past year, certainly nothing I can not live with. Bottom line, I would much rather have the loose skin than the excess weight.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I dropped about a third of my body weight and got loose skin. I'd rather have the loose skin than the 40% bodyfat again.
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i'm 24, been overweight/slightly obese since I was 7 years old. i've lost 72 lbs from my highest weight and i'm down in the lower healthy BMI range for my height now, the lowest i've ever been in my adult life. and i do have loose skin. even though i'm young, my skin has not "snapped back", but it might get better in a year or two... but it won't be perfect and i'm pretty certain i'm going to get surgery at some point. so, everyone's different, but i think how long you've been overweight DEFINITELY has an effect on your skin.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Weight train and you should be okay.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    It's something that worries me too. I've always had great skin. Nice and smooth and even, and most people don't believe I'm 40. I noticed the other night I have fine wrinkles above my knees, and my belly is saggy now. I'm terrified I'm going to end up looking like a giant scr0tum and age 15 years overnight.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Loose skin has been reported to get better in around a couple of years. I'm 25, have lost over 60 pounds in two years, and have loose skin around my belly, thighs and arms. They have gotten slightly better, so I'm hoping that my skin will get firmer eventually. That being said, I am comfortable in my own skin, and my loose skin and stretch marks are firm reminders of my weight lost, and I wear them proudly like battle scars so that's always a positive. :) I'll take survivable loose skin over obesity any day.