Made Serious Changes Seeing Little Results...

Options
13»

Replies

• Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    cotybadge wrote: »
    I do log everything on fit pal, I measure everything, on myfitpal I have it set for 1260 calories a day I think I've only gone over maybe 2 times in 5 weeks and by under 100 calories. I also drink a TON of water.

Measure or weigh? Cups can be inaccurate. What a manufacturer says should be a cup for a serving may come out to 1 1/4 cups when you weigh it on a food scale.

Even still, that would hardly make a difference if she's only eating 1260 calories a day... Even if she was wrong by a few hundred calories and was actually eating 1600-1700 a day, she should still be losing weight.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    "You're wasting money and effort on the wrong stuff."

I disagree with this statement. You have made some very positive changes for your health. You state that you feel so much better, healthier, more energy. So no, you aren't wasting anything. But you may be eating more that you think you are...

I agree wholeheartedly. Eating nutrient rich foods is healthy and will benefit you down the road... health is the most valuable asset we have and trading junk food for food with nutrients is always great choice to make. However, as others have mentioned if you are in a calorie deficit and have been for 5 weeks and your still not losing you probably should see a doctor. I eat 1200 calories (or a little over) and I lose weight (I'm also much shorter and less active than you are).

I will just throw this out there. Are you monitoring your macros? Protein, Carbs, Fats? Some people find reducing the Carbs and increasing healthy fats/protein (and keeping the calories the same) gives them better results. It can be done with simple changes like eating a handful of pecans instead of a piece of fruit at breakfast etc.

Ask your doctor to do a full blood panel, plus check your thyroid (full T panel not just the basics), hormone levels, and vitamin levels. Its a good idea to do this anyway since your focused on improving your health. It can't hurt!

• cotybadge
    Options
    "You're wasting money and effort on the wrong stuff."

I disagree with this statement. You have made some very positive changes for your health. You state that you feel so much better, healthier, more energy. So no, you aren't wasting anything. But you may be eating more that you think you are...

I agree wholeheartedly. Eating nutrient rich foods is healthy and will benefit you down the road... health is the most valuable asset we have and trading junk food for food with nutrients is always great choice to make. However, as others have mentioned if you are in a calorie deficit and have been for 5 weeks and your still not losing you probably should see a doctor. I eat 1200 calories (or a little over) and I lose weight (I'm also much shorter and less active than you are).

I will just throw this out there. Are you monitoring your macros? Protein, Carbs, Fats? Some people find reducing the Carbs and increasing healthy fats/protein (and keeping the calories the same) gives them better results. It can be done with simple changes like eating a handful of pecans instead of a piece of fruit at breakfast etc.

Ask your doctor to do a full blood panel, plus check your thyroid (full T panel not just the basics), hormone levels, and vitamin levels. Its a good idea to do this anyway since your focused on improving your health. It can't hurt!
    I have gotten checked within the past year and no major problems that came up, but I also didn't express my concern with weight loss at that point so probably a good idea regardless like you said. I do watch Protein, Carbs, and Fats. I actually follow that more, then I look at calorie consumption to make sure I'm were I'm supposed to be. I try to make sure that my pie graph is equal it is harder for me to eat protein so that is my main focus every day is how to incorporate the right amount of protein since it is the hardest thing for me to eat.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    You're eating more than you think you're eating.

Eating organic/Paleo/like a caveman/like a rabbit/like an anything is not necessary (and often not sustainable) for weight loss. I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian. I became overweight while eating primarily vegetables. I have lost the weight without changing what I was eating, just how much and how often (oh and I drink less beer. that has helped too).

Open your diary and we can help tell you what's off. Many MFP entries are inaccurate. Many foods HAVE to be weighed (or else you will be VERY far off with calories), like gooey nut butters, nuts, anything that is hard to level off in a measuring cup. High-calorie produce, like avocados, can vary greatly. Even the good old fashioned banana can vary from 70-120 calories.
  • cotybadge
    Options

Eating organic/Paleo/like a caveman/like a rabbit/like an anything is not necessary (and often not sustainable) for weight loss. I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian. I became overweight while eating primarily vegetables. I have lost the weight without changing what I was eating, just how much and how often (oh and I drink less beer. that has helped too).

Open your diary and we can help tell you what's off. Many MFP entries are inaccurate. Many foods HAVE to be weighed (or else you will be VERY far off with calories), like gooey nut butters, nuts, anything that is hard to level off in a measuring cup. High-calorie produce, like avocados, can vary greatly. Even the good old fashioned banana can vary from 70-120 calories.

This is great thank you. I think through all this I have decided that maybe I am consuming to much, I really try to be careful and measure but I haven't used a scale yet, which from what I have gathered today is going to be my next step. You mentioned how often you eat?, what is the correct answer to how often you are supposed to eat. So many resources say different things.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

This is great thank you. I think through all this I have decided that maybe I am consuming to much, I really try to be careful and measure but I haven't used a scale yet, which from what I have gathered today is going to be my next step. You mentioned how often you eat?, what is the correct answer to how often you are supposed to eat. So many resources say different things.

When I say that I changed how often I was eating, I mean that, before, I would snack on baby carrots dipped in ranch all day. I was a grazer. I could mindlessly tuck away a lot of food. Meal timing doesn't have any impact on weight loss. If your goal is to eat 1,400 calories, it does not matter how you break up those calories. That comes down to personal preference. For me personally, I like having a bigger meal at dinner time. My breakdown:

Breakfast (7 am): 100-250 calories
    Lunch (11 am): 450-600 calories
    Dinner (5 pm): 600-1,000 calories
    Snack (10 am or 3 pm): 100-200 calories

Right now my goal is 1,730 calories a day to lose .5 lb/week. I usually earn an extra 200-600 calories in exercise and add it to my evening. Some days I go for bagels and have a relatively large breakfast, so I trim off some of my dinner. Some weekends I go to beer festivals, so I skip breakfast and snack and have a small lunch.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    You might want to give it a full two months before going to see a doctor for blood work. It's not clear but in your OP you mention having moved to the Outer Banks (how recently?) where outdooor activity is easy (compared to where you were before?) -- so if you had a big enough jump in activity, even walking and yoga, at the start of this four or five weeks, that could have led to some water retention, masking some fat loss, and then, depending on where you are in your monthly cycle, that could account for another week or two of additional water retention. If that's combined with a little underestimating of calories based on measuring nutrient-dense solid foods by volume rather than weight, a month is not long enough to panic over "little to no" movement on the scale. (And which is it, little or no? If you've lost two or three pounds, that's not so bad in a month.)

Also you mention looking for an organic replacement for your coffee creamer. In the meantime, you are logging the creamer (and measuring it, if it's not individual-serving containers), right? (I just use milk, half-and-half, or unsweetened nondairy "milks" because I don't like sweet coffee, but if you do, why not just organic milk and organic sugar or honey? -- uggh, it makes me nearly gag just thinking about honey in coffee; I really can't stand it sweet -- why doesn't the world understand that coffee is supposed to be bitter?!!! I can tell the cashier three or four times at McDonalds that I want no flavor, no sugar, no syrup, no sweetener of any kind in my iced coffee, but about 80% of the time they give me a sweetened iced coffee. I have to wait near the coffee-making apparatus and try to guess which drink is mine, so I can reinforce the request with the person making the drink. :s:o -- OK, rant over.
  • jself325
    jself325 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You've only been doing this five weeks?

I am in early stages of MFP as well (10 weeks or so), and I noticed that for the first few weeks I had the same effect: I feel great, but nothing on the scale. The more often I weighed myself the more I noticed huge fluctuations (like 4 lbs), making it look like I had no change. By my second month I was noticing the average of the fluctuations was going down.

Stick with it. Especially if it makes you feel better.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I can pretty much promise you that if you're not losing any weight, you're eating more than 1260 calories...well over. Either that or you have a medical condition or allergy that you need to get checked out...but 9x10, people are just consuming more than they think they are.

You might also want to look at you expectations...have you really lost no weight whatsoever or has it just been minimal and slow..because if it's the later then congratulations...that's how weight loss generally works...very slowly. Over time (way longer than 4-5 weeks...really, that's nothing in the grand scheme) most people average out to around 1 Lb per week...but this can also be masked on the scale with natural fluctuations...so then there's that.

Have patience, make sure you're being accurate in your logging, keep rocking your nutrition and fitness...and have patience...patience...patience.

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    A note on financials/organic - You might want to look around for a CSA/Farm Box program in your area and someone to split it with. This is where you pay a set amount and get a box of fresh organic local produce every week (or however often). They can still be a bit expensive but the farms often load up the boxes and they're great for sharing with a friend. I did that for a couple of years and it was the healthiest I've ever been able to afford to eat.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

When I say that I changed how often I was eating, I mean that, before, I would snack on baby carrots dipped in ranch all day. I was a grazer. I could mindlessly tuck away a lot of food. Meal timing doesn't have any impact on weight loss. If your goal is to eat 1,400 calories, it does not matter how you break up those calories. That comes down to personal preference. For me personally, I like having a bigger meal at dinner time. My breakdown:

Breakfast (7 am): 100-250 calories
    Lunch (11 am): 450-600 calories
    Dinner (5 pm): 600-1,000 calories
    Snack (10 am or 3 pm): 100-200 calories

Right now my goal is 1,730 calories a day to lose .5 lb/week. I usually earn an extra 200-600 calories in exercise and add it to my evening. Some days I go for bagels and have a relatively large breakfast, so I trim off some of my dinner. Some weekends I go to beer festivals, so I skip breakfast and snack and have a small lunch.

You're like my twin! I love big dinners and prefer to have a snack afterwords too. Pescetarian. And yes, drinking all the beer is a tricky thing. We are headed to Untapped (a beer and music festival) this weekend and I'm totally stoked!

OP, this is great advice. When I started using a scale, I was really surprised how much a difference it made. Especially with those calorie dense items. I think this will really help you get a handle on what you actual intake is.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    The past 4 weeks almost 5 I have completely changed my diet, which has not been easy. I read and watch a bunch of things on what the wrong food can do to your body and made a change right then and there. I was so tired, sick , moody, ect. I realized it was the stuff I was putting in my body. I now try to only shop in the produce section, get organic when possible, limiting packaged and processed items. This is a HUGE change for me I was always a carb person, I didn't even like vegetables really at all, but since this change I'm addicted to the way I feel I have energy all day and I feel great. MY new hobby is finding paleo and clean eating recipes off pinterest, i love food prepping for the next day, recording my food intake and making up a routine for myself. I feel like I'm really starting to do everything right but see little to no change on the scale.

A little background on myself I like in the outer banks nc, an active lifestyle is fairly easy I walk to work every day which is about 3 miles a day 5 days a week, yoga classes 1 to 2 days, a 2 to 3 days I can squeeze a jog in there as well, but a grocery store is 30 minutes away, WAY over price especially organic, and especially when you try and eat fresh and are going to the store 1 to 2 times a week. I moved here on an internship so I'm not making any money but I'm trying my best to keep up a healthy routine as best I can.

So my question is I feel as though I have made the biggest life change that I have ever made, and it is a work in progress still trying to go totally clean and paleo but just trying to switch things out gradually, but even though I will never go back just purely based on how I feel now, it would be nice to get a weight loss perk out of this as well, I for sure need it and that is not happening. Anything I'm doing wrong or need to be doing? Im sure it is just more exercise but hey thought I would give it a shot and ask.

cotybadge I think you are well on the road to success. Three months ago I started to eat better and for the next 60 days did not lose a pound and was cutting down on the carbs all of the time. But I did lose an inch on my belt and was feeling stronger. Finally I cut out everything that had added sugar as well as apples and other fruit then I started to drop some pounds. It is the carbs that do me in.

Keep up the hard work and your body will tell you what to take away or to add food wise.

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You might also want to look at you expectations...have you really lost no weight whatsoever or has it just been minimal and slow..because if it's the later then congratulations...that's how weight loss generally works...very slowly. Over time (way longer than 4-5 weeks...really, that's nothing in the grand scheme) most people average out to around 1 Lb per week...but this can also be masked on the scale with natural fluctuations...so then there's that.

Have patience, make sure you're being accurate in your logging, keep rocking your nutrition and fitness...and have patience...patience...patience.
    Considering I asked yesterday how much weight she's lost and she didn't answer, I'm thinking that's the answer.

But when you eat only organic produce for a month, it is going to feel like you've earned double-digit losses, because it's so strict.
  • ScottDowell
    ScottDowell Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    A calorie deficit is needed to lose weight. That's it. All that other stuff is fine if you want to do it, but is unnecessary in terms of weight loss.
    Agreed, with your statement completely. Caloric deficit is very important for reducing your unwanted weight or fats.

• HereLieWe
    HereLieWe Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Yes for sure I agree I'm trying to find a organic homemade solution to my coffee creamer so I can get some nutrients from it and no processed junk but haven't found the best solution yet.
    I've found that soy or almond milk tastes good in coffee. As I like my coffee to be very watered down, I add a 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk--which at 15 calories per 1/2 cup is less than most creamer packs.