Why I struggle with the treadmill...(short video)

Options
LoneWolfRunner
LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
edited October 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
I know there are lots of opinions about treadmills vs. running outside and everyone has their reasons for preferring one over the other. But for me, once I started running outside, especially on trails, it made very difficult for me to go inside and use a tread mill. Here is a little video on my last two trail races and maybe you will understand why I struggle with the treadmill...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLyphBuSBic

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    100% understandable. There is a reason it's called a dreadmill
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm with you.....I run outside all year 'round (which is why I look like the abominable snowman in my profile pic). I haven't entered the world of trail running (yet) and dread the days I have to run on a treadmill (freezing rain, hurricane or thunderstorms)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I struggle because I fail at running in general lol. It's much easier on the ground thouhg, where you can control your own speed without hitting buttons.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Well you certainly look happy doing it.

I would love to start running outside. It has just become my new favorite cardio activity, but I am a treadmill woman right now. My area is not good for running.

Where should I start for outside running? What should I be looking for since I have to drive somewhere to do it? Parks? Hope that is not a dumb question, but I am not used to working out outside. I live off of a main highway that is dangerous. I also live one block from the hood lol...
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    Parks might be the best place to start... or look to see if there are any bike paths or Rails-to-Trails around.... I'm really lucky because I have lots of roads to run on and some of the trails in the vid are less than a ten minute drive from my house.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Parks might be the best place to start... or look to see if there are any bike paths or Rails-to-Trails around.... I'm really lucky because I have lots of roads to run on and some of the trails in the vid are less than a ten minute drive from my house.
    Okay I will start there. I am in a new area so will have to check out my options. Thank you.
  • TitikiOoh
    TitikiOoh Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    That's nice if it's an option for you. Where I live the police is telling people to stay inside because of the rain. One place on my usual walking route I can literally swim on the side-walk. The sun goes down before 5pm and isn't up before 8am. So I'm going to stick with the treadmill until spring.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    TitikiOoh wrote: »
    That's nice if it's an option for you. Where I live the police is telling people to stay inside because of the rain. One place on my usual walking route I can literally swim on the side-walk. The sun goes down before 5pm and isn't up before 8am. So I'm going to stick with the treadmill until spring.

Yeah... if I had all that going on, I would probably learn to love the mill too....
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    I agree that being outside is much better and beneficial both physically and mentally, but due to where I live, weather and safety causes many issues in this regard. I'm not saying I live in a terrible place; I don't. However, the trails that we do have are fairly secluded and as a female, I don't feel safe out there alone. Plus, we have pretty harsh winters. So, when necessary, the treadmill it is, for me!
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    @bzah10... that is a downside to running trails for women... I know a few that venture out on their own, but they tell me they never run completely stress free. And the trails get a little dicey here in the winter, too....

xz8542ov3a38.jpg
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I agree that being outside is much better and beneficial both physically and mentally, but due to where I live, weather and safety causes many issues in this regard. I'm not saying I live in a terrible place; I don't. However, the trails that we do have are fairly secluded and as a female, I don't feel safe out there alone. Plus, we have pretty harsh winters. So, when necessary, the treadmill it is, for me!

statistically, you are safer on the trail then driving on the road. Traffic accidents don't get any real news coverage but the rare attack on a runner is sensationalized in the news. Of course statistics don't really give a comforting feeling :D
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the video. :smile:

Personally, I run on a treadmill because I have difficulty running and moderating my speed. I like to know how fast I am going and it forces me to keep a steady pace. I am also really self conscious because I can't run very well or very fast. One day I hope to run trails (right now I walk them), but I don't have the confidence yet! That might sound silly, but that's just me.
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    Curt911 wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »

statistically, you are safer on the trail then driving on the road. Traffic accidents don't get any real news coverage but the rare attack on a runner is sensationalized in the news. Of course statistics don't really give a comforting feeling :D

Oh, I agree - I don't walk anywhere near traffic. Lots of inattentive, distracted drivers out there!
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    @bzah10... that is a downside to running trails for women... I know a few that venture out on their own, but they tell me they never run completely stress free. And the trails get a little dicey here in the winter, too....

xz8542ov3a38.jpg

Wow, that's a beautiful picture! Makes me cold just looking at it, though!
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Same here!!!!! Trail running is my absolute favorite. And I go out alone all the time as a fairly petite female, often in areas without cell service, and I don't ever feel unsafe. Maybe that's naive but I live in a really safe part of the country. Plus I bet I could outrun half of the would-be attackers out there :p
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    couldnt agree more, the friends i have made through running i likely never would have and nothing, and i mean nothing (exercise wise) beats trail running for pure enjoymentpjrlu7zrjoy6.jpg
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    that said, the tm is a necessary evil at times in my life. Its that or no run.... and i'll take the tm any day over no run :)
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    Wow.... beautiful trail....
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Since we're sharing! Here are a couple pics from earlier this fall at my favorite trails. The aspens were just insane this year!

aivvwarkswzw.jpg
    p7wc9cxaiq8j.jpeg

hj1.JPG 820.3K
    hj2.jpeg 789.2K
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    offtopic.gif
    There is a reason it's called a dreadmill

May I ask why it's referred to as that? I've seen it called that many times and I really don't get it.
    When I fast walk on the treadmill I put on epic soundtracks, {BrunuhVille, Adrian von Ziegler, Two Steps from Hell, Future World Music..etc} and read on my Kindle. I ride on and fight dragons, kick some demon booty, walk in the garden of Eden and help solve murders. I'm never bored when I'm on the treadmill.

Granted I'm not a runner so maybe that makes a difference? Sorry, just curious, no offense meant. :smile: