Question about Running!

Options
I have been doing some jogging/walking intervals for a few weeks now. I am currently walking 5 minutes warm up then alternating 1 min jog 1 min walk for 30 minutes then 5 min cool down. When I am finished Im sweating and breathing hard but feel ok. At what point do I increase the time or distance. I am not waking up sore or having any kind of pain just typical getting winded but quickly resolves. I am working towards being able to jog a whole 5k. Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    There's no reason not to up it a bit every session or after every couple of sessions. So next time you go out do 90 second jog, 2min walk and see how you feel. Time after that make it a 2min jog, 2 min walk etc etc until you get to a point when you feel comfortable just going the whole 5k. I did the C25K and that's the stucture it worked of.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Try the Couch to 5K program, it has a stepped up slowly increasing program over several weeks (not sure how long because I didn't do it, just kept running until tired, repeat, repeat, get injured, try again), that gets you to 5K.

And read the pinned post (top of the fitness and exercise forum) "so you want to start running". ThickMcRunFast authored it and she has valuable advice for the new runner that I didn't read until I was a year in and already injured.

Do yourself a favor and read that post.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing great. Try to work towards 2 minutes running and 1 walking. Beware though running is addictive. I got in 11 miles yesterday. Most importantly have Fun.

29509743.png
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    your off to a great start and sound like you have realist goals

i can't recommend the Count to 5K program high enough, its a walk/run program like you have started with, just follow the plan and you'll be running 5k in no time

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to download an actual C25K app, you can still find a program online that will give you an idea of what to strive for each week. I just prefer the app, because the dude just tells me when to walk or run and I don't have to watch my phone or set interval timers, etc.
  • NurseandMom1981
    NurseandMom1981 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    So with the C25k app would I just start with week one when Im probably ready to move passed that?
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    So with the C25k app would I just start with week one when Im probably ready to move passed that?

Only if you want to. Find a week that looks like what you're doing and start there.

• newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You might start at week 2 (90 sec of jogging & 2 min of walking for 20 minutes), but week 1 isn't that easy (60 sec of jogging & 90 seconds of walking for 20 minutes). I'm about done with the app (3 workouts left), but it's taken me much longer than 8 weeks to complete.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with C25K! There's no reason not to start at the beginning, because it really helps condition you to move up. Good luck!
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options

Personally, I was very out of shape when I started so I ended up repeating weeks 1, 2, and 3 to get a good base. By week 4, though it was still a challenge, I didn't repeat and went to week 5 with no trouble. Then I fell, sprained my ankle, and am currently in a walking boot, but that is another story!!

Good luck!!

• CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    In addition to reading the pinned "so you want to start running" post or trying the C25k app (I personally didn't use it), you could try mixing longer intervals with the intervals that you currently do and see how your body reacts. E.g., do your normal warm up and alternate one minute walk/jog intervals with 90 second jog/90 to 2 minute walk intervals. This will help keep you in a consistent state while steadily increasing your total running time. If this is easy after a couple of workouts, it would be safe to transition to longer intervals throughout.

Listen to your body at all times. You can push through being tired, but if you're in *pain*, walk. HTH and good luck!
  • NurseandMom1981
    NurseandMom1981 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I tried to couch to 5 k again and did week one but felt I was too far along for it so I jumped to 2 then 3, 4 and finally got week 5 and it is the first one I feel has given me a good workout so I think I will continue to from week 5. I had already been jogging for several weeks just hadn't increased my intervals. Thanks for all the advice.
  • RachelAngel01
    RachelAngel01 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with sticking to your 1 min run/ 1 min walk routine for a while. Just try to up your overall pace each week, or add distance. (I wouldn't do both on the same run). You will see your fitness increase, and then you can jump into a transition to straight running. You can pick up C25K now, or later. It's totally up to you. But don't discount running in intervals. I totally overhauled my fitness level running intervals, and it was injury-free and fun.

Good luck!
  • photojunk
    photojunk Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    What would happen if you went out with the aim of running 1 mile without stopping? I bet you could do it.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    photojunk wrote: »
    What would happen if you went out with the aim of running 1 mile without stopping? I bet you could do it.

Yes, but running is hard on the ligaments and tendons. It's best to work up to longer bouts of continuous running, even if you have the cardiovascular fitness to do it off the bat.