Lose More Weight or Begin Strength Training?

Options
Ok, so I just received the program "Body Beast" to begin strength training. I believe my body sorely needs some muscle because I got the sag going on. Bleh.

So, here's my question: I'm down to 135 lbs. (I'm 31, 5'5"), but I've still got some fat on my lower abs (baby pooch), and quite a bit on the hips, butt, and thighs. Do I need to lose more fat/weight before beginning strength training, or can I go ahead and begin my program and hope that it'll help kill the remaining fat on my body? I estimate about 10 lbs. still needs to go. I do want to maintain curves and not become a stick person.

Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    No. Almost every person that I've encountered here that has lost a bunch of weight w/o lifting, has regretted it. They lost muscle and fat and then had to go back to trying to gain muscle again. The right way is to lift, maintain a reasonable calorie count and get some cardio in as appropriate. Your scale weight might not move as much as your fat loss
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Eat close to maintenance and start a full body strength training program.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Por que no los dos?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    No...resistance training should be a part of any functional fitness regimen regardless of how much you weigh. One thing has nothing to do with the other.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Lose More Weight or Begin Strength Training? -- The answer is Yes. Do both, do them now. -- Odds are that you will get some nice newbie gains for the first couple of months, while losing fat (Fat is what you want to lose, right? Weight is just a number, but if you can lose 10lbs of fat while adding 10lbs of muscle you will be smaller and firmer...but still weigh the same) -- Basically start eating at/around your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure).
  • tsalagi82
    tsalagi82 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    No. Almost every person that I've encountered here that has lost a bunch of weight w/o lifting, has regretted it. They lost muscle and fat and then had to go back to trying to gain muscle again. The right way is to lift, maintain a reasonable calorie count and get some cardio in as appropriate. Your scale weight might not move as much as your fat loss

I'm in that boat. My weight went up and down with pregnancies, and I lost it all but never once exercised to get rid of the fat. Now I'm coined "skinny fat".

Thanks, I'll get to work!
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Do both. I would personally recommend Strength training while going on a cut. Granted you're not going to build muscle but you'll be adjusting to your lifts. Once you're at a body fat % you're happy with, up the calories and focus on building muscle and strength.
    Just my .02
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Por que no los dos?

haha I have nothing to add cause this is pretty much the perfect answer!!
  • nicolalane716
    nicolalane716 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The good news is: You can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time!

This is only possible for people who have lots of fat to lose and very little muscle, and as a bonus developing regular exercise habits will help you keep the fat off and raise your metabolic rate.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Start weight lifting now.
    Get calories and macros right
    I would shoot for around maintenance.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Start lifting now. And to any others reading that are wondering, never wait to start your strength training.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    My personal feeling is given the (false) choice between losing weight and gaining strength, go with gaining strength.
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Get started! I started lifting with over 80 pounds to lose, I'm down 42, but the amazing changes were not seen on the scale, but in the body transformation! I don't think my butt would be higher and firmer and my waist getting smaller with just cardio and no squats!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    you really should do them both in balance form the beginning to avoid injuries and out of whack body probs later B)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

• JeffseekingV
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    My personal feeling is given the (false) choice between losing weight and gaining strength, go with gaining strength.

Is there a reason why one can't lose weight and gain strength though CNS adaptation?
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

Is there a reason why one can't lose weight and gain strength though CNS adaptation?

Unless you're still in the beginner stages of your weight lifting that doesn't work so well; at least that's been my experience.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

Unless you're still in the beginner stages of your weight lifting that doesn't work so well; at least that's been my experience.

I've been lifting for the last 4-5 years while losing about 20lbs. I haven't lost any in the last year but all of my lifts are up from when I started. I took a 10 year hiatus from lifting. Went from 190 to 170 so I'm certainly not obese. I don't concentrate on total 1 rep lifts but my bench is about 240lbs, squat is about 335lbs and my last big dead was 385lbs w/o no belt.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Yes, CNS adaptation is part of what you are training in heavy lifting but there is a limit so you need to add to muscle fibre thickness as well.