Sick kid=me not eating enough

Options
Any advice from other parents about how you get your calories with a sick kiddo? We spent most the morning at the doctor office and I just really wasn't in the mood to eat with having to take care of him. So my calories are definitely way too low. How do you make sure you get enough calories in when you're tied up with a sick kiddo?

Replies

• markrichtsspraytan
    markrichtsspraytan Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If it's just a day or two, having low calories isn't a big deal. If your kid is longer term kind of sick or you have time to run to the store, then get some Ensure shakes to add a quick few hundred calories
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be mean, but if you didn't know how to get enough calories, you wouldn't be on this sight trying to lose weight.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    You eat.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. I've been dealing with throw up and high (104) fevers (two kids sick) for almost four days now. You eat - just like you wipe your bum after a poop or you brush your teeth before bed.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Lol. Really?
  • thatonegirl0619
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be mean, but if you didn't know how to get enough calories, you wouldn't be on this sight trying to lose weight.
    I'd like to get healthy calories not Dairy Queen calories thanks
  • thatonegirl0619
    Options
    If it's just a day or two, having low calories isn't a big deal. If your kid is longer term kind of sick or you have time to run to the store, then get some Ensure shakes to add a quick few hundred calories

Thank you!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

Then eat an avocado.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Good grief.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    My kids being ill has never kept me from eating. I can literally go from cleaning up puke to eating a sandwich in 5 minutes. If you're just exhausted and need to nap when he does, then whatever. A few days being low isn't going to hurt anything.

I've had so many medical appointments in the last 4 months that it's sort of pathetic - multiple blood draws, general practitioner a few times, an MRI, eye doctor, endocrinologist, and the dentist .. and I really should pay my gastroenterologist a visit since it's been a few years and I'm due soon for my 5 year scope. That doesn't include my two children that I also take to appointments. Actually, my eldest was recently sick and I had to take her to the pediatrician (with my other child in tow). Yet I've still managed to eat, because everyone else in the house needs to eat too as it's sort of required to live (and they're just needy like that).

Being a mom means you need to become a pro at multitasking.
  • DawnNathan
    DawnNathan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a small child too and when she is sick it is nearly impossible to find time to make healthy choices let alone prepare a decent meal. I fill in the gaps with proteins bars, fruit, hummus and pretzels thins, cut up veggies. Basically things that are easy to count and can also be carried in my purse. Good luck I hope your baby gets better soon.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    A day of under eating never killed anyone. If you don't have time to make a sandwich, you don't. You'll live.

But if you have time to post here, why not use that time to eat?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Prep your meals and snacks… Put things that are easy to eat on the go in plastic baggies… nuts, pretzels, popcorn. Apples and bananas are easy.

Other options:
    Peanut butter crackers
    Protein bars
    PB&J sandwich

Since your child is sick, I'm assuming he/she is sleeping frequently (which they should be doing in order to get better), so that would leave you plenty of time to eat.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

So you'd rather under-nourish your body than swing by (the very delicious) DQ? That's weird.

Anyway, whoever said a few days below won't matter is right. I do find it odd that you can't eat because your kiddo is sick (hope s/he is better soon). As the mama, you've got to learn to take care of yourself.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    A day of under eating never killed anyone. If you don't have time to make a sandwich, you don't. You'll live.

Because she was busy doing an hour of kickboxing.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I raised two daughters from birth to adulthood. They went through the usual assortment of childhood illnesses. I can't recall ever missing a meal because of this. Mostly, I remember periods of cleaning up messes followed by a lot of sleeping followed by cleaning up more messes. Plenty of time for eating.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

Prep your meals and snacks… Put things that are easy to eat on the go in plastic baggies… nuts, pretzels, popcorn. Apples and bananas are easy.

Other options:
    Peanut butter crackers
    Protein bars
    PB&J sandwich

Since your child is sick, I'm assuming he/she is sleeping frequently (which they should be doing in order to get better), so that would leave you plenty of time to eat.

Truth on both of those statements.

It's not like you have to prep a whole 7 course meal, just snack if need be. Yogurt and granola. A piece of fruit. Toss some yogurt and a banana into the blender with a splash of milk. String cheese, deli meat and a few crackers ... seriously it's eating. We're all quite adept at it or we wouldn't be here trying to (typically) lose weight.
  • thatonegirl0619
    Options

I workout at 4:30 AM... My son woke up sick at 6:30. Thanks for the advice everybody.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

I workout at 4:30 AM... My son woke up sick at 6:30. Thanks for the advice everybody.

Sorry, that was snarky of me.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

There is nothing wrong with DQ and sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Taking care of you, so you can take care of your child etc.