I'm sharing my blog post today here if you'd like to read it.

Options
The devil approached a guy in hell one day and told him he decided he was going to release him today. The man was an alocholic and had lived his life for another drink. Hell was awful and immediately the man agreed he would like to leave.

The devil told him he could leave now if he wanted, but if he wanted to stay one more day, they'd throw a party that night for him--all he wanted to drink. The man figured, what's one more night in hell? and decided to stay for the party. That night, he celebrated and had a blast into the morning.

The next day, he packed his things and went to see the devil off, who then told him if he stayed one more night, they would throw another party for him, and since tomorrow was only one day away and last night was so much fun, he agreed to stay one more night.

The man never left.

This story is a metaphor as to how I feel the bulk of the time about eating right and working out. As my weight constantly increases, I always optimistically say "one day I'll undo it all and get to where I want to be," but I constantly do this to the point that I'm incredibly unhealthy and overweight.

I'm only on day 3 of eating clean and working out. It's been a challenge and I'm happy to be here, but I know myself well enough to know it could end at any time. All I can think about is how much I wish I would have started back when I first said "I'll do it tomorrow." I'd be who I wanted by now if I had. Now, I constantly have to tell myself to do the right thing now, and I've been doing that for two and a half days. It hasn't been too hard, but I haven't felt much difference and obviously there's no visible progress. When that happens, I'll start feeling motivated and eventually I won't crave anything and will need to work out daily. Until then, I'm moving along a moment at a time. The only thing that matters is that I don't keep putting it off, so I've at least conquered that.

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I looked at your diary and I wonder what your definition of clean is. I would also be depressed as hell if that's all I ate in a day and would be ready to quit. You don't have to go about it that way.
  • mcbrainder
    mcbrainder Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Usually my lunch is a little fuller. Today I had to run between meetings for a quickie lunch.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    mcbrainder wrote: »
    Usually my lunch is a little fuller. Today I had to run between meetings for a quickie lunch.
    All I saw was 3 days of logging and they all looked the same. Please read, and re-read

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • mcbrainder
    Options
    I thought with the exception of today I used up my allowed calories pretty well. Maybe not? I enjoy the protein shakes and lunch salad quite a bit. I workout in the evening and follow my workout with a protein drink. I thought I was doing okay with all that. I'll give that a read anyway, but I figure if I have certain cravings, I'll do the moderation thing but still keep myself within my allowed calories. Because I have a fairly routine work week, I have pretty similar meals during the week. The weekends I'll probably be a little more creative. Anyway, it's pretty early so I suppose I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. If I happen to be struggling, I may have to re-evaluate. Like I said though: I'll give it a read and see how much I need to adjust what I'm doing.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I don't see much food… I see lots of shakes and cappuccinos.

Where are the fruits? Veggies? Meats? Grains?
  • mcbrainder
    Options
    Typically I have a salad for lunch. Today that didn't work. There's some oatmeal in the shake. I don't know if that's a very good source of grains but I usually use the shake as a meal replacement.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I want to get out of hell, too. I wish I had done something about my weight/health years ago.