Emotional eating

Options
kaykay2105
kaykay2105 Posts: 4 Member
edited October 2014 in Motivation and Support
I was wondering if anyone else struggles with seasonal depression/emotional eating and trying to lose weight? I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety over 10 years ago but now it's kind of a seasonal depression. I am having the hardest time right now getting myself to get back on track and eating right. I kind of fell off the wagon in August when the season slowly started changing up here. I have no motivation to exercise either and loved to run but have also getting injured more with exercise recently when I do.

Does anyone have any tips from their personal experience on how I can get back into the swing of things?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• gottagettoguatemala
    Options
    Hey there! Right there with you. Emotional eating is my biggest struggle as I am a binger like no other. I love working out but when I am out of the loop, then it is hard to get back in. I think if you can even just force yourself to go for a walk or yoga or whatever it is that is small it's a start. Would love to see what advice others have, this is definitely a real struggle and I am worried about falling into that trap.
  • Delyla07
    Delyla07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hey I can't say I'm in the same shoes as you, but I have an issue with motivation. I have so many goals and can recognize what I need to do but am not sure how to get started again. I was successful a while ago, lost about 20 lbs but gained about 5-10 back depending on the day. I think having a strong support group is the best way to get back into the swing of things, knowing you have individuals on your side is a great motivator!
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hey. I have been into fitness for 4 years now. The coolest and most promising tip I can give you. that works for me too is that all it takes is one good solid day back in the game. Whether it'd be precise calorie counting, hard at the gym or mental reassurance and belief in yourself, is all you truly need. It's the moment where you know and believe YOU are in control. You are the captain of your soul and can do anything you want. You have desire it deep enough. If not, you will find excuses. ~ One good solid day, and you mentally restart and you are on your way.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Some people are very sensitive to seasonal changes like you describe. Do you have "Seasonal Affective Disorder?"
    (I hate the change of seasons from summer to winter and I live in the South.)
    Try to get some sun light on your face in the middle of the day.
    Avoid sweets.
    Get more exercise and plenty of sleep.
  • luckylc123
    Options
    I too binge on junk food more so in the winter when it's dark outside and all you want to do is cosy up and snack. I also binge when i'm bored, stressed, depressed, happy, sad....ok i love junk food!!
    I find it hard to get out at night to go to fitness classes but i am lucky enough to work part time and manage to run in the afternoon. This helps me to not put on too much weight but not lose any :-(
    What i have been doing is entering races. I just ran a mountain marathon in July with 3 friends.This keeps my exercise going otherwise i would sit on my *kitten*.....and eat!
    I have only just joined MFP so not sure how much i will benefit. I like the fact that u have a diary which shows exactly what u are eating/exercising so u can then tell yourself u r about to overeat! STOP!! Lol.
    I think if u could enter a race of some sort it might motivate u to exercise. Get a friend to also do it then u won't back out.
    I also like if you have exercised you can give yourself a wee treat.
    Keep telling yourself you can do it whether its backing away from the biccie tin or putting on your running shoes and taking that step outside the front door. Little steps big rewards.
    Good luck :-)

• SimonCypher
    SimonCypher Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if what I go through would be classed as 'emotional eating' but it sounds like something similar. Every year around the time where I have lost someone close to me, for a week either side of the exact date I withdraw from everything / everyone and don't stick to my healthy eating and don't even exercise.

I moved from London to Newcastle (opposite ends in England) and have no family up here so being able to speak to someone isn't viable. I'm a very quiet person most of the time but having no-one to speak to is hard so withdrawing makes it easier so I can kind of hide my feelings until they pass. I have great friends in real life, however I've not opened up to any of them as I just don't feel like sharing my story for some reason. There are some friends who I used to talk to but we lost contact when I moved and I miss them terribly.

I know it's random for something like this to come from a guy, but I'm one of those who is more comfortable talking about things to strangers.

Thankfully I'm coming out of my withdrawn stage now and will be getting my head back in the game and smashing the gym / diet to get myself into the best shape I can. If anyone would like to add me as a friend from reading this then please feel free, I'd like to help as many people as I can in anyway possible, :smile:
  • erinthebish
    erinthebish Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The lack of daylight definitely leads to seasonal depression in me. In the summer, I'm up at 6:30 am to head out and work in my garden for an hour daily, before work. And I'm up later. This leads to 2-3 more active hours in my day than in the winter, when I go to bed around 9-10pm and stay in bed until almost 8am every day. It's dark when I get off work so my walks with the dogs are dramatically shorter. (1 hour in spring and summer to 15-20 minutes in the winter). I've lost around 24 pounds since last late winter and I'm very scared of gaining weight due to inactivity this winter. I'm hoping to find some extra cash to join a gym and get me out of the house during the week. I'm already counting the days until spring again!

I've had some friends have success with the light box... that helps them get up and be active. I may give that a try too.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Lack of daylight amen.... Ugh. I hear ya...but I agree about getting back on track with a good day or two. But I can tell you it takes patience of a turtle and determination, to get thru those two days!

I have found that if I'm organized, and I it doesn't just happen, I have to make time to be organized I can keep on track, so if that means on Sunday's you cook up a storm and make meals or lunches for the week so be it. I can keep on track and at least "feel" like I'm doing well if I'm organized. As far as exercise, I have an accountability partner, we got to the same gym and we take turns making up the routine for the day. So if I slack we give eachother super big *kitten* about it.