Running newb

Options
I decided to start running this week. I started on Monday and managed to jog/walk 3k in 35 minutes (I run like a stampeding herd of geriatric snails). I plan on going again tonight, but I don't know if trying to go three times a week to start off is realistic. I am slightly sore to my ankles and shines, but nothing to write home about. I used to be more fit in the olden days, but running had never been a thing for me so I'm kinda flying by the seat of my pants here....

How have people started running? How often did you run and how long?

Replies

• corinic91
    corinic91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    C25K is a great program for beginners. You can use the free app or just look up the program online. It'll help you get started with run/walking in a way that doesn't push you too much :smile:
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I second the C25K program, whichever variation you chose, other useful pieces of advice.
    1) Get proper shoes (doesn't mean they have to be expensive)
    2) Run slower, and then slow down some more. If you feel you can walk faster than you're running, you've probably found the right speed when you're starting out.

3 times a week for 30ish minutes (as per C25K program) is about right when starting out.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up, I will def check out that program. I do need to get better shoes- the ones I have aren't terrible, but I have noticed quite a bit of wiggle in the heel.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I did not follow a program. I just started running 3 or 4 times a week and tried to run a little further each time. I also spare no expense when it comes to shoes.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I think you are on the right track....I would suggest getting a book on running to answer any of your questions. Asking questions on a forum can give you information overload and some of it may not be very good! I have "The Complete Book of Running" and "The Runner's Body" both by Runner's World. Very good books full of all sorts of useful information! Best of luck and enjoy!
  • ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Yay for starting out running! Couch to 5k is great! :) and if you have a smartphone you can download a free app to literally talk you through it. If you feel like this is something you seriously want to pursue, go to your local running store and get fitted for the right shoes- it can make a huge difference in your comfort level and preventing injuries! And you'll probably hear this a lot around here- people generally have good experiences with smaller local mom and pop type stores where the people really know their beans rather than a large sports mega department store with high staff turnover..
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    My advice is just to take it slow when it comes to increasing speed/distance. Shin splints suck and put a stop when I was starting for about 4 months while they healed.

When I started back up I started with jogging about 10 minutes and then walking 2 and jogging another 5. after about a week I increased it to jogging 15 then have added time since.
  • kaseasteele
    kaseasteele Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Don't increase distance or speed to quickly; that only leads to problems. Get a good shoe. A program like C25K is great for beginners.
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    it's been said already but yeah, C25K + shoes are pretty much everything you need

3 times a week is a good place to start, make sure you have a rest day

and lastly run slower than you think you should be, if you're gasping for air you need to slow down
  • TanyaLafley
    TanyaLafley Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Good information. I am new to running also. I am run/walking everyday for 30 minutes. Guess I need to scale back a bit.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I just started running three weeks ago. I'm using the "Get Running" app on my apple phone. I've tried running apps in the past (although not couch25K so can't say about that) and this was the best one in terms of saying encouraging things at just the right time and starting with intervals I felt I could handle. I run three times a week and in week three the longest segment I have is three minutes. I just signed up for the 5K in December to encourage me not to give up around Thanksgiving when I usually slip and slide into non-activity!
  • kramrn77
    Options
    I find the times intervals hard to do- so I've been using music- alternating between fast and slow songs. So I jog anywhere from 2-4 minutes and then walk about the same. My pace is slow enough that my lungs keep up with me since I have exercise induced asthma and the last thing I need is a bronchospasm. I'm still a little sore this morning, but again, nothing concerning So I guess I will just have to invest in a pair of good shoes....
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I started c25k last week because I wanted to be a better runner. You should try it. I listen to Pandora while I use the c25k. The music lowers when the c25k app tells you to start walking or running.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    if you decide running is your thing then yes invest in good sneakers. get fitted don't just go to a random sneaker store and try on stuff. a good running store will have you get on a treadmill and run for a bit so they can watch how you run. slow and steady finishes the race. you're doing fine. i started running because i got bored with walking. i followed a similar model as you run a bit walk a bit. next month i'll run my 3rd half marathon. :) it is addictive.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Another vote for good shoes. I started and stopped C25K programs a couple of times the last few years. It was always because my back, feet or legs would get really sore.

Took the time to get fit for shoes at a running store and it made ALL the difference. The pain went away and it was just about building up endurance.

I went from barely being able to run 5 minutes without gasping in July to my first 5K in September and running 70 miles in October. It get REALLY addicting....
  • fitzbe
    fitzbe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello! I've always hated running but decided to make a big change, so I tried c25k. I made it to about week 5 when I had to stop due to pain/tenderness in the back of my ankles. Reading online, it looks like I injured my Achilles tendons. I stopped running and after about two months the tenderness has almost stopped (it faded little by little but I feel just a slight twinge if I try to jog still). Once it's over, I'm hoping to pick up running again, but I'm afraid it will happen again! Does anyone have any advice? How can I prevent this kind of injury?
  • stevesilk
    stevesilk Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Shoes, shoes, shoes. THey make all the difference. From a newb who's daughter encouraged him to get running shoes. What a difference!
  • kramrn77
    Options
    I tried the C25K program on my session yesterday. I noticed that I dropped some distance but felt more tired then last week's two runs. But I will continue to give it a go. I was able to crank out 2.4K instead of the three that I was doing last week.