Mcdonalds large choc whirl frappe. WHY?!?

Options
So I've been a good person, losing weight, being healthy and all that. Tonight I went out to dinner and ate a fair amount of calories. But I figure it's alright to have a treat every now and then. But as I drive home I feel like a bit of chocolate milk, and I always love frappes, so I splurge and get a large frappe from McDonalds. I figure it would be alright, probably around 3-400 cal, it's only chocolate milk, ice and whipped cream with a lil hot fudge right?

I check MFP when I get home.

....it's 684 calories.

with 87g of sugar.

...WHERE DID ALL THOSE CALORIES AND SUGAR COME FROM?! Not that I have a problem with sugar and all but what the heck!?! IT'S CHOCOLATE MILK. WITH ICE. AND WHIPPED CREAM.

'Sighs' anyone else fallen into similar traps?

Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Yeah, Dairy Queen small pumpkin spice blizzard 570 calories, but I looked it up before I went and refrained from having one. Stuck to the grilled chicken sandwich no mayo and ice water...............sigh
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    pokesushi wrote: »
    So I've been a good person, losing weight, being healthy and all that. Tonight I went out to dinner and ate a fair amount of calories. But I figure it's alright to have a treat every now and then. But as I drive home I feel like a bit of chocolate milk, and I always love frappes, so I splurge and get a large frappe from McDonalds. I figure it would be alright, probably around 3-400 cal, it's only chocolate milk, ice and whipped cream with a lil hot fudge right?

....it's 684 calories.

with 87g of sugar.

...WHERE DID ALL THOSE CALORIES AND SUGAR COME FROM?! Not that I have a problem with sugar and all but what the heck!?! IT'S CHOCOLATE MILK. WITH ICE. AND WHIPPED CREAM.

so next time you know to get a small!!
  • tdhdee
    tdhdee Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yep..... That's why I try to check first. The other day I took a Lean Cuisine for lunch but I had my mother's car for the day instead of mine and I always take lunch in the car away from the office when the weather permits. I forgot plastic ware (go figure) so I thought, I'll hit Arby's and get one of those market fresh sandwiches that are healthy or a wrap. So I looked up the nutrition online and sure enough each one was over 500 calories! Needless to say, I ate my hot lunch back at the office.

I try to never 'spur of the moment' get anything without looking it up first because what we think it will be, never is.

Maybe the next time something like this happens you could just get a small instead of a large. That way if it turns out to be way more calories, sugar, etc... you only had a small serving. :wink:

57763017.png
  • pokesushi
    pokesushi Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Dairy Queen small pumpkin spice blizzard 570 calories, but I looked it up before I went and refrained from having one. Stuck to the grilled chicken sandwich no mayo and ice water...............sigh

Ouch, that is a lot of calories as well for a small ice cream :(

....it's 684 calories.

with 87g of sugar.

so next time you know to get a small!!

LOL Yes, I'll get a smaller one next time XD It's just annoying to misjudge something so badly. For now I plan to keep away from those.
  • pokesushi
    Options
    tdhdee wrote: »
    Yep..... That's why I try to check first. The other day I took a Lean Cuisine for lunch but I had my mother's car for the day instead of mine and I always take lunch in the car away from the office when the weather permits. I forgot plastic ware (go figure) so I thought, I'll hit Arby's and get one of those market fresh sandwiches that are healthy or a wrap. So I looked up the nutrition online and sure enough each one was over 500 calories! Needless to say, I ate my hot lunch back at the office.

I try to never 'spur of the moment' get anything without looking it up first because what we think it will be, never is.

Maybe the next time something like this happens you could just get a small instead of a large. That way if it turns out to be way more calories, sugar, etc... you only had a small serving. :wink:

57763017.png

OVER 500 CALORIES FOR A SANDWHICH?!

ugh...what do they put in these things
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    From McDonalds:
    CHOCOLATE FRAPPE BASE: Sugar, Milk Solids, Cream, Milk, Cocoa Powder, Malt Extract, Chocolate Flavour, Emulsifier (471), Stabilisers (412, 410, 466, 407a, 407).
    ICE: Water.
    WHIPPED CREAM: Cream, Propellant (Nitrous Oxide), Emulsifier (471), Flavour, Vegetable Gums (407, 401).
    CHOCOLATE SAUCE: Sucrose Syrup (Cane), Water, Cocoa Powder, Thickener (1442), Colour (150d), Flavour, Salt, Food Acids (330, 331), Preservative (202), Vegetable Gums (415, 417, 401).

It's not "milk with ice and whipped cream" so much as "cream with syrup and some more cream and more sugar."

I always knew that Dairy Queen's cookie dough blizzard (US) was high in calories. It's basically soft serve ice cream, but more dense, like a McFlurry. Well, a large is 1,340 calories. A small is 710 calories (so.. a little less than half, but still!). They had to come out with a new size, the "mini" in order to make one that is 420 calories. They don't advertise the mini or display the price for it.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Very naive. Chocolate and cream are never going to be low in calories are they?
  • pokesushi
    edited October 2014
    Options
    From McDonalds:
    CHOCOLATE FRAPPE BASE: Sugar, Milk Solids, Cream, Milk, Cocoa Powder, Malt Extract, Chocolate Flavour, Emulsifier (471), Stabilisers (412, 410, 466, 407a, 407).
    WHIPPED CREAM: Cream, Propellant (Nitrous Oxide), Emulsifier (471), Flavour, Vegetable Gums (407, 401).
    CHOCOLATE SAUCE: Sucrose Syrup (Cane), Water, Cocoa Powder, Thickener (1442), Colour (150d), Flavour, Salt, Food Acids (330, 331), Preservative (202), Vegetable Gums (415, 417, 401).

It's not "milk with ice and whipped cream" so much as "cream with syrup and some more cream and more sugar."

I always knew that Dairy Queen's cookie dough blizzard (US) was high in calories. It's basically soft serve ice cream, but more dense, like a McFlurry. Well, a large is 1,340 calories. A small is 710 calories (so.. a little less than half, but still!). They had to come out with a new size, the "mini" in order to make one that is 420 calories. They don't advertise the mini or display the price for it.

O.O;; Guess I got my answer

'stares at the amount of numbers' are they trying to preserve this food for a few eons or something? Seems excessive to add that much sugar and sweeter to something already sweet.
    eldamiano wrote: »

Indeed, but I wasn't expecting them to be THAT high.
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Costa raspberry and almond slice 480cals :'( i only had half, and then looked it up, had buyers ( eaters remorse ) for a day over it lol. What do they put in it to make it so high!!! the bit i ate was an inch square.
    Lessons learned.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    It's the very evil whipped cream, which is airy like a cloud, but mega dense on the calories.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    For a treat, when you can fit it in, I would substitute an Iced Grande Skinny Mocha.... 170 cals. (no whip). :D McD's drinks are made of calories for some reason!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    From McDonalds:

O.O;; Guess I got my answer

'stares at the amount of numbers' are they trying to preserve this food for a few eons or something? Seems excessive to add that much sugar and sweeter to something already sweet.
    eldamiano wrote: »

Indeed, but I wasn't expecting them to be THAT high.

As I say, naivety. I am surprised it was 'THAT low'.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me at McDonalds. When the McCafe stuff was first being introduced, I had a coupon to get one for free. Well we stopped at McDonald's while traveling and I got my grilled chicken breast without bun on a bed of lettuce with tomato and onion and drank water.... But then I thought.. HEY... I have that coupon in the glovebox and I haven't indulged for a while... and boy do they sure look good..... so I got the coupon and my husband and I shared a small chocolate McCafe shake and I thought to check the calories before we left so I could record it and it had 550 calories. Now I didn't expect it to be low calorie, but 550 calories for a SMALL????????? and it didn't really even taste that rich. I don't mind spending my calories on treats sometimes, but this was SO NOT WORTH that amount of calories. Oh well, live and learn.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I used to get a McD's iced caramel mocha on the regular. I thought I was being virtuous ordering it with nonfat milk. LOL Silly me. There's like 40 gms of sugar in that thing!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I went to a godiva chocolate store once and bought a small frozen hot chocolate thing they had. It was 12 oz.

750 or so calories. Delicious, but quite impressive. What was even more impressive was the number of people getting the one 2x the size and then going to have lunch.