C25K

Options
how do you start - i have the app but i am soooooo unfit i can imagine i will he in a right state even running a min at first. im worried i wont be able to do it so ive not tried - i know that sounds pathetic but thats how i feel.
has anyone got any tips for me or have been in the same boat etc. any advice would be much appreicated. xx

Replies

• Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    Oooohhhhh just go out and do it. I've just finished the programme and I thought there was no way I could ever do it when I started!!! You can so do it!!! :-))))))
  • Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    Take the break days, follow it consistently, never give up, slow down but do not stop, get a great pumping playlist and just do it :-)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Just go out and try it. The key is to not start running at full-speed. That is the biggest mistake most people make when they first start. Take it slow and find a nice, easy pace.
  • SmangeDiggs
    SmangeDiggs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    When i started C25k the first time i really struggled to run for 60sec but i did, the key is to run at a pace you can sustain. I was running at 7 - 7.5km/hr so i guess it really was more like a jog, but it was faster than a walk. Then you just build up from there, you will be surprised at how quick you develop stamina. Getting out there and trying it is better than not doing it because your worried you can't.
    - Good luck
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    just get out there and go slowly, the worst thing that will happen is you won't make it the full minute, if that happens no worries, try again another day, you'll be amazed how quickly you improve

i found for the first few weeks using the NHS podcasts really helped, they walk you through it all and give you nice positive encouragement throughout

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx
  • Ke11yann22
    Options
    thank you all so much for your support and encouragment. you are fab thank you. ill keep you updated.xx
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    You could try the Zombie run 5k phone app - it starts with only 15 second runs, and a free form time where you choose how much you run/walk for a few mins. Very gently into to running.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    It took me 6 weeks to get through the week 1 and 2 runs comfortably. My legs could keep running much longer but my lungs and my heart rate took a really long time to adjust. Just stick with it and give it time... run for as long as you can and focus on taking deep breaths and getting all the air you can into your lungs. If you need to stop running before the timer says to that's ok...just push for longer runs each workout even if its just by 3, 5, or 10 seconds each time.

I also found it helpful to wear less clothing than I normally would (shorts + t-shirt even in cold weather) because I got sooo hot and that made me fatigued and light headed 1/2 way through. Keeping cool helped a bunch.

As time goes by the interval training will help your lungs/heart rate etc to catch up to what the rest of your body can do. Its really incredible to be able to run for 5mins and look down and realize you're not even winded! You'll get there. Just give it time! :)
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    You do not have to go strictly by the schedule C25K sets. If you can only run/jog for 30 seconds at a time, then do that as long as you're moving. If you have to repeat weeks or days then do that too. As long as you are consistently getting better it will work!

You can do your own interval jogging routine before beginning C25K if you want. 5min warm up walk, jog for 30 sec, then walk for 5 (or 10) then jog for 30 sec....so on and so forth for 30 min, 5min cool down walk. When you're comfortable with that and still have energy to keep going -- then try to beginning of C25K and see how you feel. You'll notice quickly that you're able to run for longer periods of time.
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Nothing new to add except to say you can totally do this! I started in the same boat (couldn't finish the 60 second runs). But if you keep at it, slow down (many times I felt like I could move faster walking!), and aren't afraid of repeating weeks, you'll get there. I have my first 5k "race" (just a fun run with a running club, but they post times) next weekend. I fully expect I'll be dead last, but I'll definitely finish and hope to run the whole thing. It is possible!

One other tip that worked for me: commit to it. The way I committed was buying some good running shoes, which are NOT cheap. That way, if I ever thought about not doing a run, I had to justify the expensive shoes to myself. Worked for me :smile:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    you count how many seconds you can run. Then walk. Then do it again! you are the driver!
  • XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX
    XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Just try! I am on week one. I do struggle a lot and have no idea how I am supposed to progress but I am trusting in the process. I may repeat week one to try and learn to regulate my breathing better though.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Do what you can for now, and work up to running the full minute. It's fine to repeat weeks until you feel like you're ready to move forward. Everyone has told you this, but it bears repeating -- run slowly. Ideally, you're supposed to be able to hold a conversation while you're running. If you feel like you're burning out quickly at the beginning, you're trying to go too fast. The idea is to build up the ability to keep going for longer periods of time, not to move faster.
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Probably repeating here, but start out SLOW. Also, when I started I repeated the first few weeks still I got a solid foundation. No shame in repeating when necessary! Good luck!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I just started.

First, I walked. I was walking 5Kand feeling fine when I was done. I had this C25K thing in my head for a while and was just waiting for summer to end because it's just too hot and humid here to run in the summer.

When the weather broke, I added a little running. Ten seconds, then two bursts of 30 seconds each. It was dreamy and no problem, so I figured I was EASILY ready to start my C25K.

HA! Hahahahahaha. Ha. Ha.

The first day was horrible. I felt miserable when I was done. Hot - SO HOT. So sweaty, OMG. Heart racing. Lungs not really keeping up. Nauseated. I thought I might not do it again.

But I went out for Day Two and that was no problem. I was hot and sweaty, but felt pretty good. Whipped, but not conquered.

Day three is tomorrow.

I am not confident that I'll finish and expect to have to repeat weeks, even if I do make it through.

But that is how I've started. Off to a rocky start, lol. :)
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Run when you can, walk when you have to, and continue to put one foot in front of the other. Just don't start off too fast or try to run too much distance at first -- this will lead to injuries (mostly overuse injuries).

Remind yourself that you can push through "tired" but don't push through "pain" -- especially in your muscles and joints. It will get easier!

HTH and good luck!
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I just finished the program this morning and I completely agree with everyone. Take your time, go slow and it's okay if you have to repeat weeks or even days. Just get out there and don't give up.
  • MattNorrisUL
    MattNorrisUL Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Yep take your time, go slowly, if you have to repeat a day before making a "big increase in length of running" do it. It's worth it. I used to run a lot in my early 20s but let it slide for almost 12 years. The first day in my mid 30s when I began running again, I used one of those apps. It took a few days but then I really got into it. I still use the app occasionally to do some maintenance runs.

Good luck!!
  • geojeepgirl
    geojeepgirl Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others.. make sure you take the break days. Go at a slower speed to accomplish the time, you can always repeat days or weeks and slowly increment speed. Its amazing once your in for a couple of weeks what you can actually accomplish. I would scoff when saw the time jumps my app wanted me to do going from one week to the next, but I was able to accomplish it no problem. I went from where you are to be able to do week 5 day 3, then because I wanted to watch the rest of the movie (I was at planet fitness) I walked for a bit then jogged an extra 20 mins straight.. I was blown away. My trick is just to go at a pace you can maintain then work on your speed by repeating days.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    The best advice I got when I started c25k was to slow down. You should be able to hold a conversation while you are running. If you can't, you are trying to go too fast. Also good running shoes make a difference!

There is a great Couch to 5k Group!