Never underestimate a good pair of shoes!

Options
I started working on my weight loss goal at the beginning of September. I bought some new workout clothes and shoes, but had to keep it on the frugal side. So, I got a cheap pair of tennis shoes for walking, hiking, and anything else I do that's exercisy. They stink! I mean stink! The bottoms are already worn down and it's not even two months later. When I hike on unpaved roads, I feel every rock like I was wearing nothing but socks. To make matters worse than just hiking pain, I've really done something to the bottom of my left foot by wearing them. Now, after walking I hobble around with shooting pain and it's starting to take away from my "walking every day" plan, not to mention, the enjoyment I was getting from it.
All this to say, if you're starting out, good shoes are a wise investment. I have two weeks to go till pay day, and then, I'm shopping!

If you have a good pair, or better yet, a GREAT pair of shoes to recommend, I'm all ears!

Replies

• brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I walk - a LOT - and I can tell after about 4 months that my shoes are wearing. I usually buy running/walking shoes at Ross because I can find a good brand at a discount. Walking in worn and/or cheap shoes can be super uncomfortable.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I agree with the first poster - go to a shoe store and get fitted. Tell the sales rep what specifically you need your shoes for - walking, hiking, cross training - whatever. I have a pair of Brooks and I got special inserts (I have hip issues) - these shoes are great! Love them so much I bought a 2nd pair (different color). Don't go cheap on your feet - especially if you workout regularly. You need to take care of yourself.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Skateboard shoes are excellent for walking, since they're cushy and have a low heel (most walking shoes have a raised heel, which is anatomically incorrect). Skateboard shoes are also durable & inexpensive. Their only downside is they don't have much traction for hilly hiking - but neither do most other non-hiking shoes.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize how important good shoes sport specific to what I am doing were until I got fitted. Turns out what I thought was my size wasn't necessarily my size in performance footwear. When I initially started hiking I bought a cheap pair at Big 5 that lasted about two hikes. I have since invested in workout shoes that I alternate depending on my gym plans for the day and a couple different hiking shoes based on terrain. My faves are New Balance and Inov8. I tend to rotate between minimalist and traditional styles. For hiking Merrill and Scarpa.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    It is great that you started exercising - I hope you find your way out of the foot pain. I agree with getting fitted for your outdoor shoes. For me doing very low impact aerobics in socks, and toe yoga, have helped strengthen my feet and my calves so that my feet can adapt to a day here and there in shoes that are not perfect. I also try to wear a different pair of shoes each day - they last longer.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    My Nike running trainers were about £14 from a sports shop (they were on sale). They are not the look I would choose, but I tried on a bunch of the cheaper trainers and they were really comfortable. Have learned to run and even done a 5k in them - well worth the small amount they cost me :-)
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Yes. I learned this lesson. I can't afford proper running shoes yet, so I had to replace my jogging and walking on the treadmill with pedaling on the elliptical and stationary bike.

I was walking on the treadmill the other day and my right arch started hurting, so I can't even walk until I get some decent shoes. My issues since beginning working out are all shoe related: I feel the balls of my feet when walking/jogging, my ankles and knees keep popping, my right arch hurts, and my knees feel loose and uncomfortable.

I don't want to hurt myself, so I've switched things up until I can continue jogging.

If anyone knows where I can find shoes for wide flat feet in large sizes that are decently priced..... please, let me know! I usually buy male shoes since they are wider, but I still need a wide in men's sizes....

The curse of having big duck feet....

:neutral_face:
  • ikkinr20
    ikkinr20 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the gret advice everyone! I went today and got my GOOD shoes. The Salesperson had me walk on a treadmill and showed me somethings on a video that was recording it. She measured my feet too. They cost a pretty penny but are worth every cent. They feel great! Also, the store does a 12 week couch to 5k program every spring and fall, so that's pretty enticing!
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Yep, I spent WAY more money on bad shoes than when I finally took the time and got fit for quality shoes. All of a sudden the back pain and foot soreness I had went away. I also learned the value of getting properly sized. Between my foot growing slightly (in my 40s) and needing a slightly bigger pair for running, I ended up with a pair I never would have stumbled to on Zappos.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    I can't get 'runners' for walking anywhere. I could get runners in pink with Cinderella on if I wanted to run, but I am a walker that competes in 10 k's.
    The reason, I cannot find any manufacturer that makes a true walker's runner in a size smaller than 5.
    Anyone out there know of any?
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Shoes are very personal, go to a running store, get your gait analysed and then try several different brands and models, I was over an hour finding my first pair of running shoes!! I love Brooks for road running and Salomon for trail running, but my friend loves, Asics for road running (can't remember her trail brand)!!
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I can't get 'runners' for walking anywhere. I could get runners in pink with Cinderella on if I wanted to run, but I am a walker that competes in 10 k's.
    The reason, I cannot find any manufacturer that makes a true walker's runner in a size smaller than 5.
    Anyone out there know of any?

Have you looked at Merrell?