Accessory Work

Options
So, I just started doing Wendler's 5/3/1 and had mapped out the accessory work I was thinking about doing for each day:
  • OHP - upright rows, lateral raises, shrugs
  • Deadlift - wide grip lat pulldowns, yates rows, seated cable rows, good mornings
  • Bench - incline db bench press, bicep curls, tricep pushdowns, pushups
  • Squat - front squat, lunges, Bulgarian split squats, weighted glute bridges

Are there moves that would be better to sub in for any of the accessory lifts I've listed? Always looking for input. Thanks!

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Looks good. It took me months to get assistance work I was happy with on wendlers so you'll probably find you're changing stuff up for a while.

I had a lot more 'strong curves' style stuff in there on deadlift night too (hip thrusts, RDL, SLDL etc) - oh and, overhead squats, ended up quite liking them.

I think I remember always running out of time when I had front squats and lunges in there =D

What about chins? I tend to try to do them instead of curls.

Have fun, it's a great programme IMO.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals, but those seem like solid choices.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I dont like upright rows myself but the rest looks good.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

I don't love upright rows, but I read somewhere they're one of the best shoulder exercises. As I said, I'm open to suggestions.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

I don't love upright rows, but I read somewhere they're one of the best shoulder exercises. As I said, I'm open to suggestions.

Are you looking something that targets shoulders specifically?
  • PwrLftr82
    Options

Are you looking something that targets shoulders specifically?

I'm just looking for something to round out my routine.

My goal is mass. I'm looking to bulk 10-15 lbs in the next 20 weeks or so.

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

You are hitting shoulders pretty good with the OHP, side lateral raises, bench and incline dumbell press. I would look at something to target the rear delt more like facepulls or rear delt fly.

Just my preference though you might like them and see good results with them.

• Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I feel like scarves/ necklaces are the best accessories because they stand out, but you don't have to think too much about them.

Oh wait...

Are you using a specific template, or choosing your own adventure? I would add/sub in some abs on lower body days. Ab roll outs, hanging leg/knee raises, or something along those lines. I just stick with roll outs on squat and dl day cause I'm a fatass and hanging turns into more of an upper body exercise than an ab exercise. Front squats, lunges, split squats, AND glute bridges might be a bit overkill. I've read (and experienced) that doing lunges after a main exercise can be a bad idea as you're less stable so there's a bigger chance of injury. YMMV.
  • LolBroScience
    edited October 2014
    Options

You are hitting shoulders pretty good with the OHP, side lateral raises, bench and incline dumbell press. I would look at something to target the rear delt more like facepulls or rear delt fly.

Just my preference though you might like them and see good results with them.

Facepulls are great. I second an upper back/rear delt move. Snatch Grip High Pulls are great too.

Starting my new cycle I'll have my split with:

OHP
    Close Grip Bench
    BB Rows
    Weighted Chins

BB Bench
    Incline BB
    Snatch Grip Rack Pulls
    Weighted Chins

For every press, a pull movement... Bigger movers too. Prior 13 week cycle I had a lot of pressing volume programmed in, and now my shoulder is hating me for it.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Thirded on facepulls, great exercise.

If your goal is strictly mass then you've got a fair amount of wiggle room as far as exercise selection.

I lean towards converting 5/3/1 into an upper/lower rather than a body-part type of split for most people to try to keep protein synthesis upregulated more frequently, and because it can get you squatting and benching and pulling 2xweek instead of 1xweek which can help performance in those lifts.

So for example on Deadlift main (5/3/1) you would squat as an accessory, and on Squat main you would deadlift as an accessory.

I'd typically use higher volume and lower intensity on the accessory barbell movement which then also gets you squatting/benching/pulling at multiple intensities and rep ranges weekly.

So you may see something like this:

OHP main
    Bench assist
    mix of press and pull assists/accessory

Squat main
    Deadlift assist
    Mix of lower assists/accessory

Bench main
    OHP assist
    Mix of press and pull assists/accessory

Deadlift main
    Squat assist
    mix of lower assists/accessory

Now none of this is to say that your split is bad or wouldn't work. If you prefer to hit lower frequency and higher volume, have at it by all means.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Thirded on facepulls, great exercise.

If your goal is strictly mass then you've got a fair amount of wiggle room as far as exercise selection.

I lean towards converting 5/3/1 into an upper/lower rather than a body-part type of split for most people to try to keep protein synthesis upregulated more frequently, and because it can get you squatting and benching and pulling 2xweek instead of 1xweek which can help performance in those lifts.

So for example on Deadlift main (5/3/1) you would squat as an accessory, and on Squat main you would deadlift as an accessory.

I'd typically use higher volume and lower intensity on the accessory barbell movement which then also gets you squatting/benching/pulling at multiple intensities and rep ranges weekly.

So you may see something like this:

OHP main
    Bench assist
    mix of press and pull assists/accessory

Squat main
    Deadlift assist
    Mix of lower assists/accessory

Bench main
    OHP assist
    Mix of press and pull assists/accessory

Deadlift main
    Squat assist
    mix of lower assists/accessory

Now none of this is to say that your split is bad or wouldn't work. If you prefer to hit lower frequency and higher volume, have at it by all means.

x2
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    SideSteel, that's pretty much exactly what I was doing pre Wendler's! I think you're right and I'll go back to that. Thank you!
  • AKDonF
    AKDonF Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Looks good although (as stated by others) don't neglect the rear delts especially if you want to avoid shoulder imbalance and impingement. The upright rows are good if you go very wide and lift to the lower chest which makes them more of a delt exercise and less of a trap movement.
  • TrailRunnermn
    TrailRunnermn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what your weaknesses are. Your weaknesses lie where you have pain, which is an effect of dysfunction. If you don't have any pain and your mobility is superb, then I would say your accessory list is decent. But, that is hardly ever the case...
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    It all depends on what your weaknesses are. Your weaknesses lie where you have pain, which is an effect of dysfunction. If you don't have any pain and your mobility is superb, then I would say your accessory list is decent. But, that is hardly ever the case...

I have hip flexor issues from weak glutes, hence the glute bridges. But, because of that also, I think keeping to an upper/lower split for accessories as advised above would be better so I can hit that twice each week.
  • TrailRunnermn
    Options
    Good plan :) Any lower back issues?
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    Good plan :) Any lower back issues?

Not so far!
  • TrailRunnermn
    Options
    Fabulous!
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    A lot of the movements you chose were bodybuilder(ish) movements. When training for strength, I usually recommend that people use 1 supplementary movement and at least 2 accessory movements supersetted afterward as a "finisher" so to speak. As far as which ones to go with, that's individual. You need to pick the movements that have the most carry over to your big lifts and that address one of your weaknesses. Below is an example that would work well for me:

Bench Press
    Narrow Grip Bench Press
    Barbell Row
    DB Curls/DB Skull Crushers

Squat
    Front Squat
    Prowler Push
    Glute Ham Raise/Weighted Sit Ups

Overhead Press
    Incline Bench Press
    Pull Ups
    DB Row/Tricep Pushdown

Deadlift
    Block Pulls
    Box Lunges
    Shrugs/Plate Pinches
  • NCSteveVH
    NCSteveVH Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bumping for later. great stuff in this thread....