anti-depression/anxiety medication and weight loss

Options
Hello all. I have been a member for a long time and have had some very good success. I have reached my goal and am now maintaining. I run a lot, eat right, have a great family, a great job, etc. However I feel like I am going to lose it at any moment.. that's why I think it may be time to get onto some medication.

My anxiety and stress is at an all time high. I am constantly thinking something is going to go wrong, either at home or at work. Nothing ever does but I am so worried all the time. I am so tired of living like this. My boss has noticed my stress level and has told me that I need to cool off. I don't want to ultimately lose my job because of my anxiety but I am afraid that may come. Again, not sure if that's my anxiety talking or what. I thought I could hide it pretty well but apparently not. I was talking to a coworker and she can also tell how stressed I am.

Anyway, my point in posting this is have medications like an anti-depressant or anxiety, caused any issues with weight gain? That's the last thing I want since I am finally at my goal and feel great, weight wise.

Any advise is much appreciated. Thank you for reading.

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I've taken meds for depression and anxiety in the past, and neither of them affected my weight at all. Weight-related side effects happen in a small percentage of people taking some depression or anxiety meds, and they only occur with some meds. Not all depression or anxiety meds cause weight-related side effects, and not every person taking those specific meds actually experiences those side effects. Additionally, they impact weight by increasing your appetite, (you gain weight because you're hungrier, not because they magically make you) so as long as you're tracking your intake, you are very unlikely to have any kind of problem.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Hey! ive been on depression and anxiety meds for several years. Depression and anxiety can lead to weight gain but the meds will not suddenly put lbs on you. If you are counting and tracking you will be fine.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Your doctor will be able to prescribe something that does not typically have that side effect.

Also, therapy might be another option. Calorie Free!
  • garnerish
    garnerish Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The weight gain tends to come from increased appetite or water weight.

Track your intake for a while when you start taking them to see if you've started eating more.
  • MJ_Watson
    MJ_Watson Posts: 180 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    garnerish wrote: »
    The weight gain tends to come from increased appetite or water weight.

Track your intake for a while when you start taking them to see if you've started eating more.

Exactly this. I've been on several different mood medication, and I have noticed that some make me feel hungrier, but counting calories has helped me still lose 75lbs in spite of that!

And as others said, different meds effect different people different ways. Express your concers to your pdoc, and don't be afraid to try a different medication if one isn't meeting your needs. And definitely don't let the anxiety talk you out of getting help because of some possible side effect that may or may not happen! I've been there. ;)
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I would mention that as a concern. I am on a number of psych meds. I find the more sedating ones worse for weight gain than the more activating ones, but that is just my experience.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Your mental health is paramount. If you do gain a little weight with meds, you should feel better knowing that you're getting your health back in check. When all has settled and you feel good mentally, then go back to worrying about your weight. If you're not in the right place mentally, your weight will not/should not be a number one concern. That's just my opinion taking it from my own personal journey.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I recently put on 10kg due to compulsive eating while on mirtazapine, so it is a bit of an issue, although I stopped taking them for that reason. Plus I maxed out my food budget by $$$$ However, the previous 7 antidepressants did not cause weight gain.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    My daughter is on anti anxiety/depression meds and it does not cause weight gain, in fact it is helping her control her appetite better. Now anti-phychotic meds will make you gain weight, as I have a relative on them who was major skinny and has gained a lot
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Oh by the way, congratulations on reaching goal weight, and also for maintaining!