Going over sugars daily limit

Options
I am trying to lose 10 pounds. I just started tracking my food and I don't go over my daily calorie intake. But everyday I go over my daily sugar limit. And its because of fruit. Today a banana, some grapes and half a grapefruit is what put me over my limit. But my calories are still below. Should I try and lower my sugar intake or just worry about the calories? Especially because its sugar from fruit?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Since sugar (refined or natural) is just a carb and assuming you don't have any medical conditions that call for you to track sugar, if you are already tracking carbs, there is no need to track sugar as well. Just track your carbs and replace the sugar column with fiber or something.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't really fret over fruit. I DO limit my added (refined) sugars.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Are you diabetic/pre-diabetic? Speak with your doctor about a management plan.

If you aren't, ignore the Sugar. You can actually pick what you see in your daily dairy. Since I'm anemic, I have iron turned on instead of sugar.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to, you don't need to track sugars
  • minstine
    minstine Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    No I am not a diabetic and have no medical condition. I will just ignore sugars from the fruit then. I didn't know you could pick what I see and log, I'm going to delete the sugar column. Thanks!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    minstine wrote: »
    No I am not a diabetic and have no medical condition. I will just ignore sugars from the fruit then. I didn't know you could pick what I see and log, I'm going to delete the sugar column. Thanks!

Good plan!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

I would track sodium and fiber instead. They are much more important since you dont have a medical condition.
  • mdboss10
    mdboss10 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ditto to what other's said. If the sugar is only coming from natural sources like fruits and veggies, then you are fine. But read all of your labels and look for hidden sources of added sugar. You'd be surprise how many normal, every day things have added sugar in them.

Also, you can google for fruits with a lower Glycemic Index if you are super worried. I come from a long line of Type II diabetes, so I try to stick to fruits in with a low-med GI just as a precaution. This actually included a lot of fruits. Only certain items are off limits to me, like watermelon.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    mdboss10 wrote: »
    Ditto to what other's said. If the sugar is only coming from natural sources like fruits and veggies, then you are fine. But read all of your labels and look for hidden sources of added sugar. You'd be surprise how many normal, every day things have added sugar in them.

Also, you can google for fruits with a lower Glycemic Index if you are super worried. I come from a long line of Type II diabetes, so I try to stick to fruits in with a low-med GI just as a precaution. This actually included a lot of fruits. Only certain items are off limits to me, like watermelon.

The OP is not a diabetic so there is no reason to follow a low GI protocol. Even then, the whole GI index is misleading as the test were never done in the presences of other macronutrients.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    When the experts talk about limiting sugar, they mean added sugars, not sugar in fruit. I exceed my MFP sugar "limit" all the damn time. I don't care. I took it off and put fiber in there instead. Fiber is something I should be fixing.

I'm assuming you know you have no medical issues because you've already seen your doctor to determine that. If they didn't give you any dietary restrictions...

Limit added sugars. Don't worry about fruit.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I am trying to lose 10 pounds. I just started tracking my food and I don't go over my daily calorie intake. But everyday I go over my daily sugar limit. And its because of fruit. Today a banana, some grapes and half a grapefruit is what put me over my limit. But my calories are still below. Should I try and lower my sugar intake or just worry about the calories? Especially because its sugar from fruit?

As long as you don't have any medical reason to avoid sugars, it's not a big deal.

Carbs are not the devil unless your doctor has said they are the devil for YOU PERSONALLY.

I am personally nearly always over the limit on my sugar macro and still lose weight.

That INCLUDES "added"/"refined" sugar..it is not the devil either..in moderation and within your calorie limits.

If I want ice cream, I'm-a eat it B)

/thread
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I'm hypoglycemic and check my glucose 4 times a day and adjust my unrefined sugar and carb intake based on the numbers on the meter, I exceed my daily carbs and sugars given by MFP almost everyday. However I don't worry about it at all, because I am still losing.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

I would track sodium and fiber instead. They are much more important since you dont have a medical condition.
    What this person said!

It depends on the type of sugar! Natural sources are not something to fret about constantly :)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    arrrrjt wrote: »

What this person said!

It depends on the type of sugar! Natural sources are not something to fret about constantly :)

Even if the sugar is from a candy bar, it won't matter. The issue comes into play where eating candy and other "empty" calories takes away from other important nutrients such as proteins and fats... aka the essentials. Overall diet context is what is important. I frequently eat candy (look at my diary) and today I lost 4 lbs, of which I know is a lot of water weight. But even with eating candy, my protein and fats are high (about 160g and 90g respectively) and I train hard. With that said, my cholesterol, blood pressure, HR, etc... all have improved.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Even if the sugar is from a candy bar, it won't matter. The issue comes into play where eating candy and other "empty" calories takes away from other important nutrients such as proteins and fats... aka the essentials. Overall diet context is what is important. I frequently eat candy (look at my diary) and today I lost 4 lbs, of which I know is a lot of water weight. But even with eating candy, my protein and fats are high (about 160g and 90g respectively) and I train hard. With that said, my cholesterol, blood pressure, HR, etc... all have improved.

I like candy bars!
    m7lkrafchx58.jpg