not losing weight

Options
2»

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Those are just some things to watch. Really, you lost a lot of weight in the first 4 weeks- pretty aggressive actually, for someone who doesn't have much to lose. Logging becomes critical with this small of a deficit.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    pander101 wrote: »
    Also, you're suppose to adjust calories for every 10lbs you lose if you are using MFP method. For TDEE method I use iifym.com site personally. But it stands for total daily energy expenditure. You do that minus 20%. Don't eat back exercise calories.

so you suggest I stay under 1300 a day and do not account for exercise? So to make sure I understand:
    if I exercise 400 calories, MFP tells me I have 1700 calories available for the day. I should stay under the 1300 to improve the weight loss?

If you do TDEE method, you calculate your calories burned through exercise, as well as other day to day activities into your calorie alotment for the day. TDEE is essentially your maintenance amount of calories, and then to lose a pound/week you would deduct about 20% from that to set your calorie goal. Once you do that, then you don't eat back exercise calories and in fact, most people just enter their excercise with a calorie burn of 1 to record that they did something.

Let's say that you figure out your TDEE to be 2200 cals. 20% deduction of that would mean your calorie goal for weight loss is 1,760. You would eat 1,760 and wouldn't eat back exercise calories because they would already be factored into your goal, if you calculated accurately and are fairly consistent with your exercise.

• shaun603
    shaun603 Posts: 75
    edited October 2014
    Options
    There's some pretty inexpensive heart rate monitors you can get that greatly help with accurate calorie burn during your work outs as its constantly monitoring your heart rate. MFP's calorie estimation for working out is way off I found in most cases. A buddy of mine recently tried logging in 4 hours of lawn mowing and MFP said he burned 2750 calories. We lol'd and he purchased a heart rate monitor.
  • sarahcarley
    sarahcarley Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Wendys - French Fry Small, 22.75 g 78 ??? (You ate 2 french fries)?? You have a lot of quick add calories in there, how come? Also are you weighing? How are you coming up with the calories for homemade items?

yep. It was 4 French fries. I try to put everything I can in there. I do the quick add calories when I make a recipe at home, and yes, I still weigh everything.
  • sarahcarley
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    pander101 wrote: »
    Also, you're suppose to adjust calories for every 10lbs you lose if you are using MFP method. For TDEE method I use iifym.com site personally. But it stands for total daily energy expenditure. You do that minus 20%. Don't eat back exercise calories.

so you suggest I stay under 1300 a day and do not account for exercise? So to make sure I understand:
    if I exercise 400 calories, MFP tells me I have 1700 calories available for the day. I should stay under the 1300 to improve the weight loss?

If you do TDEE method, you calculate your calories burned through exercise, as well as other day to day activities into your calorie alotment for the day. TDEE is essentially your maintenance amount of calories, and then to lose a pound/week you would deduct about 20% from that to set your calorie goal. Once you do that, then you don't eat back exercise calories and in fact, most people just enter their excercise with a calorie burn of 1 to record that they did something.

Let's say that you figure out your TDEE to be 2200 cals. 20% deduction of that would mean your calorie goal for weight loss is 1,760. You would eat 1,760 and wouldn't eat back exercise calories because they would already be factored into your goal, if you calculated accurately and are fairly consistent with your exercise.

That makes sense! How do I figure out my initial TDEE?
  • sarahcarley
    Options
    Those are just some things to watch. Really, you lost a lot of weight in the first 4 weeks- pretty aggressive actually, for someone who doesn't have much to lose. Logging becomes critical with this small of a deficit.

Thanks. I set the MFP to lose 2 lbs a week, so that is what I expected, and that is what happened for the first few weeks. Then nothing; maybe I should be expecting closer to 1lbs a week when I figure out what is wrong?
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options

Thanks. I set the MFP to lose 2 lbs a week, so that is what I expected, and that is what happened for the first few weeks. Then nothing; maybe I should be expecting closer to 1lbs a week when I figure out what is wrong?

MFP does not do a good job of explaining what expectations should be. Most people who are not at the high range of Obese or Morbidly Obese should be expecting to lose a pound or LESS a week.

How tall are you? You say 135 is your goal but we have no way to know if that is close to ideal body weight or not. People said that the final 10 pounds is hard to lose and that is true...assuming 145-135 is your final 10 pounds.

When you truly get to 10 pounds away from goal (sub 20% BF for women), then you should be seeking .5-1 pound loss per week at best.
  • sarahcarley
    Options
    I'm 5'4 1/2'' I have no idea what the medical ideal body weight is for me, but that is a weight that I was happy with
  • sarahcarley
    Options
    I'm 5'4 1/2'' I have no idea what the medical ideal body weight is for me, but that is a weight that I was happy with

I am also considered "medium frame" if that helps
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP - read this:
    - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

For determining your TDEE, there is a link in the above thread or in here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055

It is a lot of info but it is all very, very helpful in determining how to be successful.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I have been tracking my calories for about 8 weeks, and for the first few weeks was losing steadily, but over the past four weeks I have stopped losing. I am exercising regularly, and netting less than 1300 calories. (so more than 1300 calories, but accounting for exercise).

I started at 150lbs and am down to 142. My goal is 135.

Any suggestions would be very helpful!

You've averaged a pound a week. That's excellent!

Weight loss is not linear, especially when you have so little to lose. Be patient.:)