Tough Mudder

Options
Hello!

I'm by no means new to MFP, I already lost 30-ish lbs a couple of years back and have been sat there all this time. Now I'm finally motivated to get rid of the rest. I've been at this solidly for a month now and have already lost 11lbs which I am chuffed about. I'm just trying to make it a bit more interesting by getting some new friends to keep me going in the long run

A bit of info about me:
- 23 years old
- Lives in the UK
- Works away from home, so I'm in a hotel and eat at restaurants every night (difficult at first)
- Fitbit user - happy to be friends there too
- Have entered Tough Mudder 2015 and am by no means a natural runner but getting there
- Started at 200lbs, currently 159 and my first goal is to get to 147!

So please, lots of friends with things in common or just the determination to keep at this would be appreciated! :)

Ashleigh x

Replies

• xjgirl94
    xjgirl94 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Wow thats great! I started at 203 lbs and after 2.5 weeks I am down to 196.4 with little working out!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I have heard about Tough Mudder - and it is more than I can take on at the moment. Good for you! I am training for a 1/2 marathon. Its week 2 of 16 with the 1/2 at the end of week 16. :)

I'm running Tue-Wed-Thur & Sat, with my long day on Sun. Not VERY long yet lol. I'm actually alternating between running & walking now, though I'm proud to say my running intervals are 2-3 minutes and walks 'only' 1 or less. Thinking that on Saturdays I may try something different: run 3-4 miles, without stopping, one at a time throughout the day.
  • Ashleigh_LP
    Ashleigh_LP Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)

It will be a massive challenge for me, which is why it's May next year! A few years ago I could literally not do 1 minute running so I definitely haven't started out the best. I have a long way to go still, seeing as the furthest I am yet to run without stopping is 3.5miles!

Staci, are you using the Bupa running plan or is this just a schedule you have made for yourself?
  • StaciMarie1974
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I honestly don't know. I found a 12 week training program online for half-marathon/beginning runners. I've done some running but not been regular. Like I'd start a C25K program but get off track. Or some days I'd run for .5-1.5 miles, or work on short sprints at faster speeds. But nothing consistent. Started looking for a 5k to do locally in ~2 months and instead found a very local 1/2 on Feb. 8. There is a 5k that day also, but training 4 months for a 5k seems a bit much. And the 1/2 has a time requirement of 3 hours - which doesn't seem so formiddable.

Anyhow - I repeated a few of the weeks to make it from 12 to 16. It just seemed right. Like I know I could shift the off days, but the way the schedule was written: it was made for my life. Like off days on Mon & Fri. Monday I work 8am-4pm and have class from 5pm-10:45pm. No running! And Friday I work 2 jobs, one from 8am-5pm and another from 6pm-9pmish. So also not a good day.

The long runs gradually get longer. Last week was: 3/3/3/3/4. And this week its 3/4/3/3/4. Then the next 2 weeks the long runs on Sun are 5, 6, 7 etc. The Wed runs will end up mostly 5-6, with Tue/Thur/Sat staying 3-4. Seems like a good plan, to work up endurance but understanding you don't need to run LONG everyday. The week before the 1/2, the Saturday run is 3 and Sun run is only 6. The week of, the Saturday run is a short 2.

I'm the sort that does the best when I set goals, and having something like this to work on seemed right for me right now. I've just gone into maintenance - lost 50 pounds from Dec. '13 to beginning of Oct. '14. My overall plan was not about weight loss, but about being active & fit. And ultimately: there is no reason why I can't do this!
  • Ashleigh_LP
    Options
    Wow, you work two jobs and run that much?! No one really has the excuse not to in that case, I thought I was tired enough from the one!

You sound very motivated so I'm sure you will get there with your running plan!
  • Csqueers
    Csqueers Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I did a Tough Mudder about a year and a half ago. Lots of hard work and the day of I thought I was a crazy person for doing it. Crossing that finish line was the best feeling ever!! Be sure to work on your arm strength because there are lots of climbing/pulling yourself up type obstacles.

I am a consultant so I spend most weekdays in hotels as well... still working on being better about my eating with so much restaurant time. How do you manage to eat healthy on the road?
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Those are intense. My friend wants me to do a Tough Mudder next year (ha!) but I told him I'd do a Spartan Super instead.
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    You find a way to make things work. I've learned to multi-task. :)
  • amyrichard34
    amyrichard34 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Are you still training for your event? I am doing one in August here in Canada. My husband has done 5 already and is addicted.
  • Ashleigh_LP
    Options
    Hey Amy, I have completed 3 Tough Mudders now since this post! Good luck with your training :)