How Do You Get Your Protein?

Options
I'm cutting out red meats and feedlot meats. I don't like very much meat in the first place. Also, I'm trying to get as much protein as I can...at least 75 grams per day. What can I add to my 2000 calorie diet that will give me that?

Replies

• cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    dont even know what feedlot is.
    i googled highest protein v lowest calorie and work off that list.
    turkey,chicken,fish and quorn are my mainstays.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I'm ovo-lacto vegetarian and get 120g daily through whey protein, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, eggs and some soy.
  • PaiPug
    PaiPug Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Feedlot is pretty much anything you find in grocery stores. Non organic...or whatever. I watched FoodInc. Commence puking.
  • PaiPug
    Options
    But what's quorn?
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Powdered protein, Greek yogurt, chicken beast, deli meat, eggs, egg whites.. I could go on.
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I get more protein from greek yogurt, egg whites, and babybel cheeses than meat. Tofu is also good.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Egg whites, greek yogurt, and I love chicken.
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    There are some high-protein plants out there. Beans (don't forget peas and green beans in there too), edamame, spinach, sprouts, artichoke, broccoli, kale, mushrooms, asparagus and corn are some that come to mind. Also, though high in calorie, nuts - especially almonds and pumpkin seeds - are another source, as well as soy milk, tempeh, tofu and seitan. Then there are oats, amaranth, bulgur, quinoa, whole grain rice. If you are only avoiding meat, then eggs and dairy have a lot of protein too.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I made chili recently that was hugely protein packed. Granted part of it was due to the inclusion of lean ground beef, but there were also several varieties of beans in it.

I vouch for homemade chili as a good protein source!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    crickets.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Split peas are surprisingly good for protein and would fit your dietary preferences (they're dirt cheap too).

~30% of their calories come from protein and the amino-acid profile is pretty complete. I don't think you can get better than that from plants.

Eggs and pork chops are my main sources.
  • tindeyy
    tindeyy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Eggs! I eat tons of them, covered in cheese.

And milk.

Basically I love dairy.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Beans-- any kind of beans
    eggs--whole, whites, or a mix.
    tuna fish, sardines
    chicken
    Slim Milk
    Regular oatmeal
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Chicken, fish, Greek yogurt, nuts, quest bars, eggs.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Swallowing! ;)
  • PaiPug
    Options
    I love oats! I'm trying to add a lot more carbs tho. Anyone have wheat/grain sources they use?
  • PaiPug
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    crickets.

Nah, I'll stick to weavils. Way cheaper. >.<
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Chicken*, fish including canned tuna dumped on top of salad greens, shrimp, eggs*, cheese, and organic/free range venison or beef when I can find it really boost my protein (I have red meat a couple of times a week). I don't like protein shakes or would use those, but have put protein powder into my oatmeal for breakfast.
    *Eggs and chicken are my superstar protein foods!
  • PaiPug
    Options
    There are some high-protein plants out there. Beans (don't forget peas and green beans in there too), edamame, spinach, sprouts, artichoke, broccoli, kale, mushrooms, asparagus and corn are some that come to mind. Also, though high in calorie, nuts - especially almonds and pumpkin seeds - are another source, as well as soy milk, tempeh, tofu and seitan. Then there are oats, amaranth, bulgur, quinoa, whole grain rice. If you are only avoiding meat, then eggs and dairy have a lot of protein too.

You just answered my every prayer <3