Help - I've been logging now for about 10 days and finding it very difficult to stick to calories

Options
Hi,

I've been logging for about 10days, started well, but am finding it very difficult to stick to my calorie limit. I thought this 2 week period would be the perfect time to start because I am at home, and can really watch what I eat, but alas, I find myself getting very hungry (maybe because I am at home and have nothing better to do!) I have started regularly attending the gym for cardio and a bit of weights. I'm back at work next week and they provide lunch, so I'll have very little idea of the calorie content or cooking methods etc. I need some suggestions to what I am doing - the wine midweek will stop when I am back at work.

My thoughts for a standard day are:
Breakfast - eggs and spinach or porridge
Snack - banana or apple
Lunch - either chicken/fish/veggie option with plenty of veg or salad
Dinner - Something light, soup, salad or lean meat and veg

I don't eat too much at lunchtime, just a small portion of whatever. My downfall at work is the amount of cakes and biscuits that are in the staff room every day. I am trying to be strong and choose the fruit option or the super seeds!

Please, any advice you have would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    That doesn't sound like much food what's your calorie allowance and how much do you have to lose? Are you eating back any exercise calories?
  • bigbeff
    bigbeff Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    To lose 1lb a week, calorie allowance is 1350 - there was no way I could stick to 1200 if I wanted to lose 2lb!! Yes I am eating back exercise calories. I think I need some ideas of low calorie filling foods or I need to reduce portion size because I seem to want more and eat too much!! The exercise has made me hungry too.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    What are your stats (height, weight)? Are you using the MFP guidelines for cals? What is your activity level set at?
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    It won't make you feel satisfied but it might curb the appetite enough to be able to stick to it: carrots. When you are hungry just eat lots of carrots.

So you have 300 calorie breakfast, 400 calorie lunch and dinner and save the rest for munching on carrots whenever hunger pangs hit.

It's not ideal but it might get you through.

Also go for a walk when you are hungry (not near shops though! :P) often if I go for a walk I don't feel as hungry after.
  • bigbeff
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and weigh 148lbs. Yes using MFP guidelines, not sure what else to look at. Have set my activity to lightly active as I am a teacher so on my feet most of the day.

I think thats it, during this 2 weeks I need to distract myself when I get hungry!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    With 20lbs to go perhaps 1/2lb a week would be better esp if you are finding the limit for 1lb a week too little.

Goal should be not to lose as fast as possible but do it at a reasonable rate and still live life.
  • Ricksta1984
    Ricksta1984 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Make sure your drinking plenty of water aswell.
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    up you calories, MFP told me 1200 and i tried it for 2 weeks, lost too much weight too quickly and was struggling to keep in the calorie allowance, i now have 1750 and i dont feel deprived and can factor most things into my diet, i do work out daily but dont eat all of my calories back, as the post above says .... go for .5lbs a week. Remember it has to be a sustainable life choice, and who wants to live on 1200 a day for the rest of your life :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    First, with that little to lose, you should have your goal set less aggressively. Second, with 1350 plus whatever exercise calories your earning from that cardio, how is that little you're eating equaling this?
  • bigbeff
    Options
    Definitely not me! Thanks for the advice so far, I will try some of these ideas. I have been drinking plenty of water and I think I need to avoid the sugary options of snacks!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Not enough fat and protein. I know for a fact that I'd be starving if I only had oatmeal in the morning, and fruit as snack is pretty much useless to me. For me the key to staying full is a good ratio of complex carbs (and fiber), fat and protein.

For example, if I add a bit of nut butter in my oatmeal, it will keep me full twice as long... If I have tuna and veggies at lunch, I might be full for 2 hours, but if I add half a bagel or a potato or a wrap, I'll be full for 4 etc. And for snacks I eat protein bars, apple with nut butter, or Greek yogurt. Or try nuts.
  • jamesblood13
    jamesblood13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    candistyx wrote: »
    It won't make you feel satisfied but it might curb the appetite enough to be able to stick to it: carrots. When you are hungry just eat lots of carrots.

So you have 300 calorie breakfast, 400 calorie lunch and dinner and save the rest for munching on carrots whenever hunger pangs hit.

It's not ideal but it might get you through.

Also go for a walk when you are hungry (not near shops though! :P) often if I go for a walk I don't feel as hungry after.

Carrots - i agree. They take a while to munch through, and they make you feel full.

• mamamodge
    Options
    Try upping your fat to stave off hunger pangs but avoid processed foods and bread.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    The key is to find something you can live with for an extended period of time. Perhaps try a goal of .5 pounds per week, and only eat back exercise calories if you feel you've exerted yourself more than usual. If 1/week is 1350 then .5/week should be 1600. And gives you MUCH more room.

Dinner ideas:
    4-6 ounces lean meat 100-200 calories
    salad & baked/steamed veggie 100-150 calories (I use cheese, lite dressing)
    Something starchy - couscous, baked sweet potato, rice, etc. 150 or so calories

Lunches, I have something similar or a PB&J on light bread w fruit/veggies/pretzels/small salad.

Breakfast I tend to snack thru the morning on weekdays. An ounce of cheese, a small breakfast pita sandwich, a banana or apple. This morning Vitatops because they were on sale.

Snacks: nuts, yogurt, fruit, protein bars, sweet treats as you see fit.

For protein bars - look at labels IMO. I buy a brand that I like, has 180 or so calories and 13g protein. Not a TON of protein but also not loaded w/ a bunch of fat & sugar. And I don't like to eat things that remind me of cardboard!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you are exercising, you can eat more calories. So are you?
  • jenny3008
    jenny3008 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm in a soup phase just now. Can have a big bowl of home made vegetable soup for very few calories. Then chicken and veg or something like that. Fills me right up

I give myself 1500 calories a day and don't eat back my exercise calories mainly because I haven't found a reliable way of measuring them and it just seems like too much hard work

I personally try to minimise the amount of starchy carbs I have like bread and pasta, mainly because not only do they not keep me full for long but also because I blow up like a big balloon. Instead I try to fill up on proteins.

I snack on carrots or a small portion of nuts, cottage cheese things like that

Good luck
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Eat more fiber rich foods like low cal high volume veggies. That'd be my suggestion. Fat and protein also help with fullness but it looks like you've got that covered.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    bigbeff wrote: »
    Hi,

My thoughts for a standard day are:
    Breakfast - eggs and spinach or porridge
    Snack - banana or apple
    Lunch - either chicken/fish/veggie option with plenty of veg or salad
    Dinner - Something light, soup, salad or lean meat and veg

I don't eat too much at lunchtime, just a small portion of whatever. My downfall at work is the amount of cakes and biscuits that are in the staff room every day. I am trying to be strong and choose the fruit option or the super seeds!

Please, any advice you have would be greatly appreciated!!

Sounds to me like you are hungry because you are not eating enough. Try to have protein, a bit of fat, and some carbs at every meal.

The breakfast of eggs and spinach sounds ok, but how about adding some yogurt or milk or a citrus fruit to it. Porridge is something I eat most days, but I doctor it up with an egg, or some nuts, and often cook it on milk instead of water.

If you have having a banana or apple for a snack, add some peanut or other nut butter to it so it stays with you longer and doesn't set off a hunger lurch a short while later.

The lunch sounds ok. But if it's salad only, add some protein to it ... some beans, or a piece of chicken breast or tuna fish ... something besides just vegetables. Use a real salad dressing instead of low fat.

Dinner ... again, something light might be ok if it's balanced, but you will need a snack later on depending on what time you eat. You might get more lasting power if you add milk or cheese or yogurt to that meal.

Good luck.
  • KatJ_NZ
    KatJ_NZ Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I can offer my personal experience (I lost about 40 pounds this year netting 1300 a day)... fruit makes me hungrier. I found better snacks (for me!) were cup-a-soups, protein shakes, sugar-free hot chocolate, yoghurt, or even just a boiled egg. I also drink a lot of water, which helps.

I also find it harder to stick to my calorie limit when I'm home and not doing much. I think that's normal, because where else can your mind wander to if not the pantry? :smile:

Also, when you go back to work, do you *have to* eat the lunch that is provided? It is up to you, but as you don't have much to lose you could consider bringing your own food for the short term until you are confident about guessing the calorie content of your work meals.

Good luck!
  • d6melanie
    d6melanie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Choose the egg & spinach for breakfast, the fat and protein in the eggs and the fiber in the spinach will help keep you fuller longer. Make sure you're adding some protein and fat to each of your meals. Avocado is a good example of fat plus fiber. Hope that helps!