Keto - How to get enough fiber?

Options
I got my macro numbers from IIFYM. It tells me I need to eat 35-42g fiber every day! 11-14 at every meal! What in the world do you eat on a keto diet to meet those numbers? I thought I was doing great to meet my carb, fat and protein numbers.

Replies

• crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I don't recommend asking about keto on the general boards:nj7ni406iwnp.jpg
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
  • melissa968
    melissa968 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    ooops! thank you!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Those fiber numbers seem pretty high. Make sure you raise it slowly so that you don't bloat and fart like crazy.

I don't think people who do this "keto" thing get their fiber. They don't ingest carbs, right? Without carbs, no fiber. I'm not sure what the rules of that diet are, though.

I'd consider asking a doctor before I started this, if I were you.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    flaxseed is a good source of both fat and fiber. I fry eggs in bacon fat and then liberally spread groundflax seed over the eggs. Tastes great. I use USA FLaxseed from Amazon
  • d6melanie
    d6melanie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    That is a high amount of fiber even if you're not doing Keto. Look at flaxseed, avocado, raspberries, kale/spinach/greens, broccoli... typically 20-30 grams of is recommended for diets around 1400-2000 cals daily. But that would be difficult (impossible?) to do on keto, unless you're eating basically all your carbs from flaxseeds... You may have to choose between keto and your fiber goals. But that doesn't mean can't still eat lower carb.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    The recommended amount is about 1.4g/100 calories consumed so that sounds more like the fibre for a typical man than a woman. For a woman on a 1800 calorie diet it's about 26g.
  • Guitar1969
    Guitar1969 Posts: 33 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    In Keto you are still eating a lot of leafy vegetables so you should be able to get your fiber, but I don't shoot for as high of numbers as you've listed. Remember that most of us doing Keto are looking at "Net Carbs" so you subtract the fiber grams from the carbs of the food item to get the Net Carb count. Kale, spinich, greens, brocolli, avocados and califlower are all Keto friendly.

But as others have said MFP is not the place to talk Keto. There are other forums that embrace it more.

I do not do strict Keto, but try to adhere to most of the guidelines, and don't strictly count things, as I don't want to live that way, but doing very on it.
  • melissa968
    melissa968 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I'm thinking that calculator was wrong even though it considers what kind of eating plan you are on.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    chia seeds?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Psyllium Husk supplements...
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Those fiber numbers seem pretty high. Make sure you raise it slowly so that you don't bloat and fart like crazy.

I don't think people who do this "keto" thing get their fiber. They don't ingest carbs, right? Without carbs, no fiber. I'm not sure what the rules of that diet are, though.

I'd consider asking a doctor before I started this, if I were you.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/calories-in.asp?food=metamucil

This would be one option.

Kelikel I am researching 'keto' a lot and I have not found a way that one can eat and not ingest carbs. Carbs are not like bad themselves anyway but just not required to live a healthy life. Because sugar is physiologically addicting it is like playing with an drug for some people and some studies shows the addiction has similarities in the brain as does cocaine addiction. This is why sugars are not a take it or leave it type of food for some people

100 grams is about the max carbs one can ingest in one day in order to stay in nutritional ketosis. 50 grams max is a common goal because of all the the 'accidental' carbs out there like meat that has sugar added in the kitchen. To be on the safe side many shoot for 20 grams of carbs daily especially at first.

Many people have not operated in a state of nutritional ketosis since we were babies. Moving from burning glucose for powering our muscles and brain to burning ketone bodies to power our muscles and brains can take a few weeks for the body to adapt especially if one gets off of sugars cold turkey. It can feel like one as the flu but without a fever.

A keto lifestyle is not for many people and seldom do those not into nutritional ketosis ever gasp the details enough to discuss the subject openly. It is very simple but calls for a paradigm shift in one's thinking about how the body was designed as a Flex Fuel machine.

Personally I think most people should never even try the keto concept. You are correct like before starting any diet you should check with a medical professional that understands all type of diets.

In my personal opinion/experience the only people who should consider a nutritional ketosis diet are people who have lost weight over and over only to regain it plus a few pounds. Well there are some who will do the diet for medical reasons other than to lose weight.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    20-25g of fiber is the general recommendation.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/fiber/art-20043983

1 medium avocado, 3 grams usable (net) carb, 12 grams fiber
    Flax seed is amazing. You can add it to salads or almost anything else I've heard people use flax seed in place of panko bread crumbs as "breading"
    Chia seeds (about the same as flax)
    Unsweetened Coconut and Coconut Flour 1 ounce, 2 grams usable carb, 5 grams fiber
    Broccoli 1 cup chopped, cooked, 2 gram usable carb, 6 grams fiber

Also: Asparagus, Celery, Eggplant, Romaine Lettuce, Mushrooms, Radishes, Red Pepper, Peas, Zucchini.

Raspberries and strawberries (just a few due to carbs) also pack good punch of fiber.

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    I've been keto for about 5 months. I rarely even get 10g a day. I have no trouble. It's not necessary to have a load of fiber.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    I've been keto for about 5 months. I rarely even get 10g a day. I have no trouble. It's not necessary to have a load of fiber.

I hear you but am starting to wonder. Fiber does things other than keep the plumbing from getting clogged.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

I hear you but am starting to wonder. Fiber does things other than keep the plumbing from getting clogged.

Interestingly enough, I did so research after my father was diagnosed with colon cancer and there doesn't actually seem to be a real concensus on the link between fibre intake and rates of cancer. I make an effort to get 45g per day just to be on the safe side but it might not be required.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Eat some non-starchy veggies like cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini. Avocado which is very keto-friendly has a lot of fiber.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

Interestingly enough, I did so research after my father was diagnosed with colon cancer and there doesn't actually seem to be a real concensus on the link between fibre intake and rates of cancer. I make an effort to get 45g per day just to be on the safe side but it might not be required.

Thanks Wheelhouse15. That was my concern if not getting a lot of fiber.

• icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Nuts and seeds, seeds especially. When I ate low carb, I found a half cup of nuts and seeds every day usually saw me hit around 30g fibre overall each day, not that I cared overly about my fibre intake.

Non-starchy, fibrous veg will help too, while still helping you meet your carb target.

Other things that added small amounts that all added up, included berries, dark chocolate, and of course avocado :smile:
  • jahouser77
    jahouser77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

This is wrong. There is a huge link between colon cancer and fiber intake. Also fiber does way more than just contribute to digestive health. There are more IMMUNE cells in the intestine than in anywhere in the body, and the good bacteria present in the intestine feed off of fiber and create byproducts that increase the activity of the immune cells in the gut, which contribute to overall health of the entire body.

If you'd like a non journal article link to see the connection between fiber and colon health, click here
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/high-fiber-diet-linked-to-lower-colon-cancer-risk/

I can find some journal articles as well.
  • GaleHawkins
    edited January 2017
    Options
    jahouser77 wrote: »

This is wrong. There is a huge link between colon cancer and fiber intake. Also fiber does way more than just contribute to digestive health. There are more IMMUNE cells in the intestine than in anywhere in the body, and the good bacteria present in the intestine feed off of fiber and create byproducts that increase the activity of the immune cells in the gut, which contribute to overall health of the entire body.

If you'd like a non journal article link to see the connection between fiber and colon health, click here
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/high-fiber-diet-linked-to-lower-colon-cancer-risk/

I can find some journal articles as well.

Very good info @jahouser77. Also lack of fiber can be a factor in developing type 2 diabetes.

who.int/nutrition/publications/public_health_nut4.pdf

everydayhealth.com/type-2-diabetes/diet/control-high-blood-sugar-with-fiber/

I use nutritional yeast flakes as a fiber and protein source daily.

nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/1323565/2