taking proper measurements

Options
I want to record my measurements, not my weight, as I don't believe that lbs dictate health. What I would like to do is take a few inches off my waist, hips, and thighs. My question is, for women, where do you take your measurements? I have been going with at my belly button for my waist, and for my hips placing the tape around myself so that it sits at my hip bones. Thighs, I simply chose the largest part. I have witnessed people being measured at the gym, and they seem to be much lower for waist position and for hips its seems they are actually going around their butt. When I got measured for my bridesmaid dress the seamstress used different positions as well. I looked it up, but every diagram gives you this glorified stick figure that isn't helping much. So is there a "proper" position to measure, or does it not really matter? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I want to record my measurements, not my weight, as I don't believe that lbs dictate health. What I would like to do is take a few inches off my waist, hips, and thighs. My question is, for women, where do you take your measurements? I have been going with at my belly button for my waist, and for my hips placing the tape around myself so that it sits at my hip bones. Thighs, I simply chose the largest part. I have witnessed people being measured at the gym, and they seem to be much lower for waist position and for hips its seems they are actually going around their butt. When I got measured for my bridesmaid dress the seamstress used different positions as well. I looked it up, but every diagram gives you this glorified stick figure that isn't helping much. So is there a "proper" position to measure, or does it not really matter? Thanks in advance.

I keep track of three waist measurements. Natural, an inch above belly button, and belly button. I'm not sure which is "right", but when people ask me waist measurement I tell me my natural waist. Hip measurement should definitely be done at the widest point, which is usually around the butt, yes.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Well unless you're using them to calculate body fat or order clothing I'm not sure it really matters. The key in seeing change is consistency.

Waist - you can do belly button or narrowest part. I usually do the narrowest
    Hips - I measure around the hip bone but also do a butt measurement around the widest part of my butt. Mostly because the hip one goes down when your love handles shrink but if you're strength training the glute may grow or show no change
    Thighs - largest is probably right and I would do the same if I measure my calves, biceps, forearms etc.

You can also track the measurement around your ribcage (just under your boobs)
  • joydoncheski
    joydoncheski Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies, really appreciate the answers.
  • ominousdusk
    ominousdusk Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    your waist is usually the smallest part of your waist, where ever that ends up falling. it's different for different people. Your hips is usually taken at the fullest part of your hips which is usually also around the butt. Thighs and arms are taken at fullest part too.