Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

HELP! this food label is WAY confusing

Hi all, I love to have some popcorn at night before bed. I've been eating the brand below but I really don't think I'm calculating the calories properly...SO, please help me. To make this easy, what would you say the calories are in ONE bag?

Thanks so much! I tried calling the company, but the person on the phone wasn't in the States and didn't really understand what I was asking.

2w1s7lw.jpg

Replies

• Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    I read it as 1275 calories per bag. 170 calories per serving x 7.5 servings per bag.

I actually have that in my pantry and was going to pop some the other night until I did the math.

Edit to fix! mcarter and wftiger corrected me that this was per carton, not bag -- it's 425 calories per bag (bowl) and the 1275 is for the box containing 3 bags.
  • Having a hard time posting a pic you can see....trying!
  • okay, hoping this works (glad I'm not the only one challenged with posting photos for the first time!)

jry1ao.jpg
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Not sure if you saw my post above while adding your additional ones.

Best to buy your own popcorn and dry pop it yourself if you really want some. All that oil/butter is probably adding lots of calories, but to me, popcorn is empty calories anyway. I was only going to eat some this week because I just got back from a trip and didn't have anything in my fridge to eat... until I remembered something in my freezer.
  • brandee1212
    brandee1212 Posts: 20 Member
    It's 425 calories per bag (2.5 servings of unpopped kernels per bag, at 170 cal/serving).
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    I would interpret that as 2.5 servings times 170 calories per serving equals 425 calories per bag. I think Mellie's 1275 is for all three bags in the box?
  • ssjellybean
    ssjellybean Posts: 5 Member
    -edit- nevermind xD read the wrong part, sorry ><
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    If I am reading that correctly its 2.5 servings or 1.5 cups per bag, and that's 87.5calories per bag.

If you at every bag 7.5 1 cup servings is 262.5 calories.

HTH.

Pop Corn companies should really only put the POPPED calorie count on the label. ugg.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    2.5 servings per bag x 170 cal per serving = 425 calories per bag.

Before even opening this thread I KNEW it would be about popcorn lol. They are always confusing to me too.
  • ackrause
    ackrause Posts: 1 Member
    There's 425 calories per bag, 1275 in the entire box (i.e. if you ate all three bags at once).
  • amwalcott
    amwalcott Posts: 29 Member
    I calculated 88 calories for one bag. 35 calories times the 2.5 servings. It's 7.5 servings per carton.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    I read it as 1275 calories per bag. 170 calories per serving x 7.5 servings per bag.

I actually have that in my pantry and was going to pop some the other night until I did the math.

No, it says there are only 2.5 servings per bag. The 7.5 servings is in the whole carton. So, there would be 425 calories per bag. I usually can't eat more than a half a bag in one sitting, so that would be about 213 calories. However, you also need to take into consideration the fat and sodium. Not because they will contribute greatly in weight loss/gain, but because it is simply not healthy to eat too much fat and sodium.

Also, it is telling you that 2 Tbsp unpopped is equivalent to 4 c. popped. Either way, it's still 170 calories/serving.

Another thing to consider:

1 g fat=approx 10cals, so of the 170 calories per serving, 120 of them are just from fat (there is 12g of fat per serving)
  • I can't really tell in that picture, but this website ( http://www.orville.com/homemade-popcorn ) has the nutritional info. so it should be the same. If it is, there are 170 cal in EACH serving and each bag would feed 2.5 "people". Soo, if you eat the whole bag, it would be 425 calories. This kind (the movie theater butter) is has 4 cups popped for serving size, but they have one that is in the pop up bowl as well that is "SmartPop! 94% Fat Free" and for 6 cups, it is only 100 cal. and stil butter flavor :) Enjoy-I love, love, love eating popcorn at night too!
  • Ugh...I knew I was doing the calculations wrong! Thanks all. It irrritates me that they mention the 4 cups with the unpopped amount, but then give you the cals by cup. I should have looked at the details more closely. Sabotaging myself! I knew it was too good to be true!
  • myfitnessisavirtue
    myfitnessisavirtue Posts: 673 Member
    350 calories in a bag (10 cups in a bag x 35 cal per cup popped)

Why is everyone using the unpopped calories? Some of the butter remains in the bag so unless you lick the bag...just my thoughts
  • I'm happy to see that there are lots of different opinions...I don't feel so badly now!

THANK YOU all for your help :-)

I think I have to find a new popcorn!
  • amwalcott
    amwalcott Posts: 29 Member
    Dumbo me. It is over 400 calories a bag.
  • showaqha
    showaqha Posts: 1
    Ok so a "serving" is either 2T unpopped or the 4c it pops in to. Each bag seems to contain about 5T unpopped which would pop into approximately 10c of popcorn. If you follow the unpopped calorie count, each bag contains about 425 calories - if following the popped calorie count with a 10c yield would make it 350 calories per bag. They probably factor in the each and every kernel doesn't pop, but regardless I'd say it's about 400 calories a bag and you should be plenty safe.
    Personally I LOVE air popped and it's so easy to just measure your kernels!!
  • kajpen
    kajpen Posts: 120 Member
    WAY too confusing!! :) darn popcorn!!
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member

is it not 2.5 servings per bag and 7.5 per carton......