Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

HELP! this food label is WAY confusing

Replies

• DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1
    DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1 Posts: 149 Member
    One bag is 88 calories popped. Unless you plan on eating unpopped kernels, you don't have to worry about unpopped calories.
  • You all have NO idea how validated I feel now that there are so many different calculations...I think I'll go with measuring out 1 cup and call it a day (although I know that won't be nearly enough to satisfy my popcorn craving).

I might have to buy the 100 calorie bags...WAY easier.

You're welcome for the brain teaser of the day :tongue:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    OMG! As confusing as this thread is and as many different opinions as there are I think I actually figured out these labels now! Or I'll just stick to the brand I buy that is 100 calories per mini bag so I don't have to do math or measure! :laugh:
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    okay, hoping this works (glad I'm not the only one challenged with posting photos for the first time!)

jry1ao.jpg

If you look under the serving size at the top of the box it states (makes about 4 cups popped). Then go to the "Amount Per Serving," it states "1 Cup Popped," look below and it is 35 calories. So, there are about 4 cups of popped popcorn per bag. Take the 4 cups popped and multiply it by the 35 calories for 1 Cup Popped and you get 140 calories per bag. 4 x 35 = 140. The calorie count of 170 is for unpopped popcorn. It seems like all the microwave popcorn boxes are just as screwed up. I don't know why they have to make things so confusing. Hope this helps.

The perfect explanation, great work...was everyone else ignoring the, "makes about 4 cups popped", line? That is the popped yield of the whole bag!!! To those thinking that it would make 10 cups of popcorn just think about what that would look like.

I have measured it out and it is about 10 cups popped! Your missing the 2.5 servings per bag. Each serving has four cups so that equals ten...
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    It's a real eye opener for people considering taking advice off of people on here, that's for sure.
  • IronSmasher
    okay, hoping this works (glad I'm not the only one challenged with posting photos for the first time!)

jry1ao.jpg

If you look under the serving size at the top of the box it states (makes about 4 cups popped). Then go to the "Amount Per Serving," it states "1 Cup Popped," look below and it is 35 calories. So, there are about 4 cups of popped popcorn per bag. Take the 4 cups popped and multiply it by the 35 calories for 1 Cup Popped and you get 140 calories per bag. 4 x 35 = 140. The calorie count of 170 is for unpopped popcorn. It seems like all the microwave popcorn boxes are just as screwed up. I don't know why they have to make things so confusing. Hope this helps.

The perfect explanation, great work...was everyone else ignoring the, "makes about 4 cups popped", line? That is the popped yield of the whole bag!!! To those thinking that it would make 10 cups of popcorn just think about what that would look like.

Wrong. That makes absolutely no sense.

Amount per serving is the title of the table. The two serving size options are listed to the right, with their corresponding nutrition values underneath.

Above is listed the convention ratio for unpopped to popped. 35g popped = four cups popped.

If the serving sizes were the same, the nutrition underneath would be the same?
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    I hate popcorn nutrition labels. WAY too confusing. I love popcorn and have it almost every day. I do it this way: 1/4 cup popcorn in a brown paper bag. Fold the top of the bag over, then microwave for about 1min 40 secs. (You really have to listen to your microwave to get the right time). When done I spray it with butter spray and sprinkle it with butter salt. Yum.
  • So annoying that they include the nutrition info for "unpopped". Who is eating raw kernels and then licking the salt and butter from the bag? Just use the popped column.

Who cooks a load of food to then measure out one portion?

I think because it's bagged, you have to pop the whole bag....otherwise, yea just pop your own kernels...
  • IronSmasher
    So annoying that they include the nutrition info for "unpopped". Who is eating raw kernels and then licking the salt and butter from the bag? Just use the popped column.

I think because it's bagged, you have to pop the whole bag....otherwise, yea just pop your own kernels...

It's a shame it annoys you, but it helps out. I only cook what I'm eating.
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    I eat the Pop Weaver brand if you can find that. It actually has the nutrition information for the whole bag on there. Or you could switch to the smaller single serve bags to make it easier.

My youngest son and I were talking about it this morning. Why do they even put the nutrition info for the unpopped kernels on there? I mean does anyone really grab a bag of popcorn, open it up, and just eat the seeds?
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Get a Whirly Pop. Makes the BEST popcorn ever.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    what about eating what you want and saving the rest for another time? I mean, that is what I do, per se. Except I buy it pre-popped, already bagged. Also, though, I don't eat the butter and salty kind either. Maybe movie butter popcorn tastes different if it is stored as popped? :shrug:
  • So annoying that they include the nutrition info for "unpopped". Who is eating raw kernels and then licking the salt and butter from the bag? Just use the popped column.

It's a shame it annoys you, but it helps out. I only cook what I'm eating.

I know, I just meant that since you can't take the kernels out of a microwaveable bag, there's no real point of putting the unpopped nutrition facts on there since you can't portion out the raw kernels from that type of bag....that's all
  • okay, hoping this works (glad I'm not the only one challenged with posting photos for the first time!)

jry1ao.jpg

Wrong. That makes absolutely no sense.

Amount per serving is the title of the table. The two serving size options are listed to the right, with their corresponding nutrition values underneath.

Above is listed the convention ratio for unpopped to popped. 35g popped = four cups popped.

If the serving sizes were the same, the nutrition underneath would be the same?

Actually, you make no sense, "35g popped = four cups popped", must be a "European thing". How about "convention ratio"? I've never heard of that one and I've had a lot of math classes. Did you mean conversion rate? And your last sentence, was a statement, not a question. Right? Hey, I do love the metric system though. Now down to business.

Despite all of that, I know what you are trying to say. And I admit that I was wrong with 4 cups to a bag statement. If I would have stayed with my original comment of "1 cup of popped popcorn consumed = 35 calories" I would have been okay.

According to that label, a full bag of that popped popcorn equals 10 cups of popped popcorn which equals 350 calories. If you want to eat the whole bag before you pop it, you will consume 425 calories.

However...

I went to the website and it had the nutrition for that specific popcorn being 170 calories for 4 cups of popped popcorn (the one in the picture must have been incorrect) and there is 2.5 servings, which makes it 425 calories for the bag. The same if it were not popped. My advice would be to eat it popped, it is the same caloric value and it taste better.
  • klynn06
    klynn06 Posts: 3 Member
    I was thinking the same thing!! 350 cal. I was starting to wonder if I was doing something wrong here, lol.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    350 calories in a bag (10 cups in a bag x 35 cal per cup popped)

Why is everyone using the unpopped calories? Some of the butter remains in the bag so unless you lick the bag...just my thoughts

lol I got this... Why not just buy 100 calorie mini bags...lol... alot easier. That box is way confusing. I think most who buy movie theater butter popcorn big bags don't really look at calories... I get 100 cal bags and use spray parkay to give it butter.
  • grammacarol1943
    grammacarol1943 Posts: 32 Member
    I say go to your food diary and enter the food information(orville reddenbachers popcorn) and go by what that says. Thats the easiest way for me. lol
  • kmmicco
    kmmicco Posts: 45 Member
    It's 350.

One bag popped has 10 cups (serving size= 4 cups x 2.5 Servings per bag)

10 Cups x 35 Calories per cup = 350 Calories.

Problem solved.
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    LOL @ this thread!

i get SmartPop 100 calorie bags. sooooo much easier. XD
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    We actually air pop popcorn right in the microwave. Just put a few tablespoons of kernels into a glass bowl, cover with something (parchment paper and some string, or a plate) and pop. Takes five minutes in our microwave, which is a little longer, but it includes the time to heat the bowl. Some people seem to have success doing it in a brown paper bag too.

I'm not usually one to complain about the chemicals in foods, but microwaving plastic is basically always a bad idea. Of course, the biggie in popcorn was diacetyl, which most manufactuers have removed from their formulation, but it's still some pretty nasty stuff. Plus, doing it yourself is SO cheap, and you can make all kinds of awesome flavors!