Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

HELP! this food label is WAY confusing

Replies

• ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    How about you make it easy for yourself. Pop a bag, use a measuring cup to measure cups of POPPED popcorn. 35 calories per cup POPPED, so however many cups you eat times that by 35 calories.
  • How about you make it easy for yourself. Pop a bag, use a measuring cup to measure cups of POPPED popcorn. 35 calories per cup POPPED, so however many cups you eat times that by 35 calories.

Oh that would be the wasy thing to do :laugh:
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    I'm happy to see that there are lots of different opinions...I don't feel so badly now!

THANK YOU all for your help :-)

I think I have to find a new popcorn!
    The brand I buy has the calorie value for an entire bag on the label. Makes it a ton easier because I could eat a whole bag myself lol. I think its called Healthy Pop but I could be wrong :)
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,374 Member
    okay, hoping this works (glad I'm not the only one challenged with posting photos for the first time!)

jry1ao.jpg

The secret to figuring it out is to ONLY use the POPPED info b/c the unpopped is NOT what you are going to eat:

Here is what I came up with....

If you go by what it says for popped...

4cups popped equal a serving
    2.5 servngs per bag
    4x2.5=10 cups of POPPED corn

1 cup popped = 35cals

10 popped servings in the bag

10x35=350cals for the whole bag of POPPED corn....

All in all each serving which is 4 cups of popped corn is 4x35=140 calories per serving and with 2.5 servings per bag that would make it 10x35=350....Or 2.5 servings x 140 calories per serving = 350 calories for the bag..Make sense???

The other calculations are for unpopped if you read it right...Confusing for sure!!!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    I read it as 1275 calories per bag. 170 calories per serving x 7.5 servings per bag.

I actually have that in my pantry and was going to pop some the other night until I did the math.

7.5 servings per carton. Only 2.5 per bag. So the 425 is correct not the 1200+.
  • Janice032557
    Janice032557 Posts: 163 Member
    okay, hoping this works (glad I'm not the only one challenged with posting photos for the first time!)

jry1ao.jpg

Under the serving size at the top of the box it states (makes about 4 cups popped)...then go to the "Amount Per Serving"...it states
    "1Cup Popped"...look below and it is 35 calories per cup. 4 x 35 = 140. Your bag of popcorn is 140 calories per bag. Hope this helps.

I forgot to add the last step. There are 2.5 servings per bag 140 (for 1 serving) x 2.5 (servings per bag) = 350 calories per bag.

The more I look at this mess, the more I'm getting confused... I have to say it is either 140 or 350. The easiest way would be to figure out how many cups of popped popcorn you have and multiply it by 35 calories per cup. (I believe someone mentioned this in one of the posts.) I'm done!
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Take the 2nd column (which is for the popped product) and multiply the values by 2.5 (which is the amount of servings in 1 bag according to the top of the label). So it is 2.5 x 35 cals for a whole bag of popped kernels.

A popped bag always has unpopped kernels and much of the oil coating is left on the bag and not on the product itself.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Phew!

I'm so glad I don't live in America, for all the plus points, a label like that and the product would go right back on the shelf.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    It is either 425 or 350....definitely one of these two...

I would measure out how much you eat and each cup multiple by 35 to be more accurate. Sometimes when I pop it, I have a lot of kernels left over and sometimes hardly any.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    I read it as 1275 calories per bag. 170 calories per serving x 7.5 servings per bag.

I actually have that in my pantry and was going to pop some the other night until I did the math.

7.5 servings per carton. Only 2.5 per bag. So the 425 is correct not the 1200+.
    Oh... duh!!! You're right! I wasn't reading it carefully because it was supposed to be a "bowl", so I was reading carton as bowl and missed the whole bag thing. LOL!
  • autumnk921

jry1ao.jpg

Under the serving size at the top of the box it states (makes about 4 cups popped)...then go to the "Amount Per Serving"...it states
    "1Cup Popped"...look below and it is 35 calories per cup. 4 x 35 = 140. Your bag of popcorn is 140 calories per bag. Hope this helps.

But 4 cups of popped corn is 1 serving....There are 2.5 servings in the bag...4x2.5=10 servings of popped corn...10 servings x 35 cals per cup= 350 calories per bag....Make sense??
  • So annoying that they include the nutrition info for "unpopped". Who is eating raw kernels and then licking the salt and butter from the bag? Just use the popped column.
  • For each cup of popped popcorn you eat you consume 35 calories.
  • autumnk921
    For each cup of popped popcorn you eat you consume 35 calories.

Yes, exactly....And if you eat the whole bag which is 2.5 servings (10 cups of popped corn) then the whole bag is 350 calories... :)
  • IronSmasher
    So annoying that they include the nutrition info for "unpopped". Who is eating raw kernels and then licking the salt and butter from the bag? Just use the popped column.

Who cooks a load of food to then measure out one portion?
  • Janice032557
    Janice032557 Posts: 163 Member
    The more I look at this the more I get confused...:huh:
  • autumnk921

jry1ao.jpg

If you look under the serving size at the top of the box it states (makes about 4 cups popped). Then go to the "Amount Per Serving," it states "1 Cup Popped," look below and it is 35 calories. So, there are about 4 cups of popped popcorn per bag. Take the 4 cups popped and multiply it by the 35 calories for 1 Cup Popped and you get 140 calories per bag. 4 x 35 = 140. The calorie count of 170 is for unpopped popcorn. It seems like all the microwave popcorn boxes are just as screwed up. I don't know why they have to make things so confusing. Hope this helps.

Thank goodness...Someone else who is calculating like me with this...I was beginning to think I was doing it wrong....I just love math equations so I was really hoping that I was right with this one b/c it is really confusing....Who eats unpopped kernels anyway right???
  • IronSmasher
    Right

So there's this thing called MFP?

You can create a new food, add all the information for a known serving size (like, I don't know 35g?), then once it's in the database, you can change the serving size to anything you want and it works out the calories, carbs, protein, fats and micronutrients for you!

It's amazing!
  • okay, hoping this works (glad I'm not the only one challenged with posting photos for the first time!)

jry1ao.jpg

If you look under the serving size at the top of the box it states (makes about 4 cups popped). Then go to the "Amount Per Serving," it states "1 Cup Popped," look below and it is 35 calories. So, there are about 4 cups of popped popcorn per bag. Take the 4 cups popped and multiply it by the 35 calories for 1 Cup Popped and you get 140 calories per bag. 4 x 35 = 140. The calorie count of 170 is for unpopped popcorn. It seems like all the microwave popcorn boxes are just as screwed up. I don't know why they have to make things so confusing. Hope this helps.

The perfect explanation, great work...was everyone else ignoring the, "makes about 4 cups popped", line? That is the popped yield of the whole bag!!! To those thinking that it would make 10 cups of popcorn just think about what that would look like.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    I know that some kernels don't end up popping, but I'd rather go with the unpopped calculation (if I'm going to eat the whole bag) than the popped calculation since the kernels will be uniform to measure 2 tbsp. whereas popped popcorn is so irregular to pack into cup volumes. It's my preference to err on the side of the higher calorie estimate rather than the lower one, so I'd go with 425 calories/bowl instead of 350 calories/bowl if I was logging this myself. Thank goodness MFP will do the math for everything else since we've all clearly seen my attempt here! :tongue: