In need of low carb help.....

Options
I am seeing a holistic doctor that has placed me on a low carb diet (72grams per day). I know nothing about low carb...I have a book I am looking carb count up in. My problem...I don't know what to eat but meats, cheeses and greens. I have had eggs in some form every day for 3 weeks because I am suppose to have a NO carb breakfast. I am sick of eggs at this point. I thought I ate healthy before this. Made sure I had 2 fruits a day...very little bread of any kind... low sugar but I did have some. I know I need variety...what are your suggestions for balanced and healthy low carb eating. Thanks in advance !

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Is it low carb or no carb? And why is he saying to eat that way? Personally I'd see a real doctor because this advice sounds like garbage.
  • 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Is it low carb or no carb? And why is he saying to eat that way? Personally I'd see a real doctor because this advice sounds like garbage.

I have had my fill of regular doctor...just says "live" with it ( diarrhea). This doctor is trying to help my body heal itself. It us an 18 week program....willing to try it to see if I get help. I just need help with what to eat. Breakfast is the only no carb meal.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I have had my fill of regular doctor...just says "live" with it ( diarrhea). This doctor is trying to help my body heal itself. It us an 18 week program....willing to try it to see if I get help. I just need help with what to eat. Breakfast is the only no carb meal.

I'd still go see another doctor, not your old one, and have them check you for IBS, Crohn's disease, or celiac disease.
  • 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    1. I have been checked for everything....nothing shows. I have been tested off an on by 3 doctors over a 4 year period....I just want my life back. They all say just take Imodium . That would be great if it worked. This is really my last hope ....or I feel that way..... it controls my life.
  • jfeakins
    jfeakins Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    For low-carb advice/recipes I really love the south beach diet book.

You could be gluten intolerant (not allergic/celiac)- there's no way to test for it other than to just avoid it and see if you feel better. My little sister had some stomach issues - I'll spare the details- and since she's started to avoid gluten, she feels 100% better.

I'm no doctor, and I'm sure you've tried this- but try to see what exactly triggers it and avoid that! Unless it seems to be everything... good luck!!
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    There are ways to desguise eggs when you get sick of them ... I make little mini quiches with cupcake tins. You put some cooked meat, veggies in the bottom, and then pour over it some eggs that are scrambled together with high-fat cottage cheese (4%) - less carbs in it. Sprinkle some cheddar or other cheese on top and bake them.

Two or 3 of them for a breakfast are a good way to start the day with little work involved (since they can be heated quickly in a microwave instead of every day being a process of cooking and cleaning up after).

Question being, how are you reacting to dairy products? has your explosive symptoms reduced with the low carb diet?
  • RoseyDgirl
    Options
    once a week I make grain-free pancakes (plenty of recipes online - some more 'bread' seeming than others dependent on the addition of non-grain flours, baking soda, etc) A non-breadlike version would be mashed ripe banana, egg, a spoonful of almond butter - stirred together and fried up. tasty - with most carbs coming from the banana.

Keep playing with recipes - and experiment.

I made a grain-free chocolate cake last night (low cal, low sugar, very chocolaty) - which came out to 171 cal, 13 carb, 5 sugar - per serving. Can't wait to have my first slice tonight to see if it will taste as good as it smelled while baking.

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I am seeing a holistic doctor

LOL

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    Check out the Low carb groups. They usually have good suggestions as well.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group

• allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    There's not a lot that has NO carbs. For breakfast I usually have a smoothie of greek yogurt, protein powder, and peanut butter, but even that has like 20 g carbs. I find it much easier to eat very low carbs for other meals, when I'm more in the mood for salads or just lean protein and steamed veggies.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Turkey sausage, lean fried ham or bacon are all no- or very-low carb, and most folks like them for breakfast.

I keep a stock of pre-made salmon patties (skinnytaste recipe) that I often eat for breakfast. That recipe does have carbs, but there are probably variations that don't. I also get a ton of my protein intake from greek yogurt...it has an extremely high protein per calorie ratio, but it isn't carb-free.
  • baconslave
    Options
    I am seeing a holistic doctor

LOL

Could we please at least TRY for a few more minutes to keep this civilized?
  • Dawmelvan
    Dawmelvan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Almonds and an apple with cinnamon.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I don't see the connection between low carb and diarrhea....

what evidence did this holistic dr provide that you need to go low carb to cure it????? Maybe you see someone who specializes in stomach disorders...gastroenologist (sp)??
  • RoseyDgirl
    Options
    baconslave, I love your new profile picture. That steak is perfectly cooked. It looks so much better than my Roasted veggie soup had been... I'm suddenly craving steak (again)...

OP, since you've been on this new regimen for 3 weeks, you will be able to tell us how you are responding to the change in macro levels better than just hearing ney-sayers commentary. "So how are you doing?"
  • baconslave
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I don't see the connection between low carb and diarrhea....

what evidence did this holistic dr provide that you need to go low carb to cure it????? Maybe you see someone who specializes in stomach disorders...gastroenologist (sp)??

I have to agree.
    Though it's possible that the dr is trying to see if you are gluten sensitive by eliminating it. That's really the only way to tell. A period of elimination of the food from the diet. Conversely, it could be something else altogether. I think someone mentioned lactose intolerance. My oldest son developed lactose intolerance after an illness. His pediatrician was useless in diagnosing what was wrong. Only until we did various food eliminations did we finally isolate the culprit.

I don't see the harm in doing a low-carb diet without gluten for a few weeks. If it doesn't help though, I might try a gastroenterologist.
  • RoseyDgirl
    Options
    Dawmelvan, have you tried slicing the apple, coating it in cinnamon and sauteeing it in butter? SO yummy. :) No added sugar required.
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    have you tried monitoring your diet to see when you experience the worst episodes?

Perhaps it is something you are eating on a fairly regular basis that is upsetting your stomach that you might not suspect.

I found, after some painful "research" that I cannot eat most common greens (like romaine, other lettuces, mixed greens, etc) Turns out though that spinach, kale and chard don't negatively affect me.

I found Imodium did zero to help me, my doctor recommend Metamucil - it is also used for bulking she said and sure enough it worked wonders in comparison.

• RogueinSF
    Options
    have you tried an elimination diet? it seems really strange to me that your doctor would tell you to cut down your carbs and not cut out specific kinds of foods. eggs can be very problematic in terms of allergies, for instance. my friend has a ton of issues with food, not detectable "allergies" but intolerances. she did an elimination diet, and then was able to pinpoint the exact things that gave her problems. a lot of foods that are high in carbs are not traditionally allergens. i have another friend who has very detectable food allergies (can't eat wheat, corn, or rice) which could seem like low carb, but she is not allergic to fruits or potatoes and other carb rich foods. i would really recommend finding a nutritionist who would begin with an elimination diet if you haven't already. This is what an elimination diet looks like and how foods are reintroduced, just as an idea, you should still go to a naturopath: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/elimination-diet