Weight Loss by Smaller Clothes

Options
I'm getting back into my weight loss after three years of nothing. I was 160 3 years ago, but after a company switch I got more work, more hours and more stressed. Now I'm not so stressed & got transferred closer to home & fill on gas now every 12 days instead of twice a week. So I am way more relaxed now.
I've been having steady weight loss, but one thing that helps is buying one size smaller in clothes.
A few weeks back I bought this lovely shirt which complimented my curvy frame, however, it was a tad tight around my poochy tummy. But I bought it anyway and told myself I'll just have to lose some weight to look better in it.
Wore it yesterday and ta-da, no poochy-pooch tummy. I smiled with glee and told my husband. Even he admitted that the time before it was tight, but now it's not.
Anyone else do this?

Replies

• WantBestME
    WantBestME Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Yes.. Me too! I never had denim shorts .. I bought a pink denim shorts 2 months back. Two size lower. I couldn't even get it pass my thighs then, now after 2 months - i can button it, but i can see my tummy popping out - so its just a matter of few more months - i can finally flaunt it to my hubby!

• Blackdawn_70631
    Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    WantBestME wrote: »
    Yes.. Me too! I never had denim shorts .. I bought a pink denim shorts 2 months back. Two size lower. I couldn't even get it pass my thighs then, now after 2 months - i can button it, but i can see my tummy popping out - so its just a matter of few more months - i can finally flaunt it to my hubby!

I have capris the same way. I did fit in them five years ago. But the change in companies really stressed me out.
    At first with my weight gain they couldn't slide up past my thighs, then a few months later I could slide them on but they were really tight, tried again a bit later and better. Couple more pounds and I can wear them again.
    I never threw them away to buy a larger size because that would be telling myself I'm going to stay this weight when I didn't want to be.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have a vintage cocktail dress hanging above my scale...can't wait to get into that! I also bought two bodycon dresses recently and I try them on once a week...almost there!
  • Trishism
    Trishism Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I always kept my favourite smaller clothes. Two weeks ago I tried on a pair of jeans I haven't work in two years and had a bit of a muffin top, but now they fit comfortably, and I have two more pairs of jeans each a size smaller than the next to work towards fitting into.

Although I DID buy a jacket I could barely zip up, knowing that I'm losing weight. I forgot it at my parents cottage so I wont see it for another couple weeks but maybe that'll fit better too when I eventually get it back. Lol!

It's DEFINITELY good motivation to keep losing when you finally fit into something again(or better), though.
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    definitely!! i actually get way more excited about how my clothes fit than numbers on the scale at this point.
  • legowrangler
    legowrangler Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have some smaller sizes of pants in my closet and I can't wait to get into them
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have 80lbs to lose and am currently a size 16, I guess. I wore a size 8 when I was 150lbs (3-4 years ago and before obliterating my ankle in a biking accident). I always did weight training and cardio so was quite fit. I just bought two pairs of career slack in size 8. I also have a scandalous bathing suit I take my progress pictures in. Right now, I am looking like a beached whale but in about 6 months? Look out!!! I have tons of clothes in my closet I can't yet fit but I try them on weekly to see how I am shrinking. I am so looking forward to getting back to looking fabulous!!!

BTW, I'm 5'8".
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »
    I have 80lbs to lose and am currently a size 16, I guess. I wore a size 8 when I was 150lbs (3-4 years ago and before obliterating my ankle in a biking accident). I always did weight training and cardio so was quite fit. I just bought two pairs of career slack in size 8. I also have a scandalous bathing suit I take my progress pictures in. Right now, I am looking like a beached whale but in about 6 months? Look out!!! I have tons of clothes in my closet I can't yet fit but I try them on weekly to see how I am shrinking. I am so looking forward to getting back to looking fabulous!!!

BTW, I'm 5'8".

5'7" here. I was size 9 at 150. That was a long time ago. But when I dropped down to 160 three years I was actually fitter and toner than 13 years ago when I first got married at 150.
    My husband is also how I strive to be more toner and fit, to look sexy for him and because we're always in competition between who can lose the most weight the fastest. Not doing the twenty pounds in one month thing.
    I got him one time. Was wearing my workout gear which is a bit tight, but that's the idea. So I can look better in it by loosing the weight.
    One day I said I feel more fit which he replied that's only the gut inseam fitting holding in my gut.
    I just smiled wickedly and lifted my shirt, pulling the capri down some to show the belly really was flatter and staying in one spot.
    He was speechless and I was so happy!

• Blackdawn_70631
    Options
    sarahsedai wrote: »
    definitely!! i actually get way more excited about how my clothes fit than numbers on the scale at this point.

Indeed! Thank you for sharing that!
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Options
    I have a vintage cocktail dress hanging above my scale...can't wait to get into that! I also bought two bodycon dresses recently and I try them on once a week...almost there!

Keep going! Good motivation with the dress above the scale.
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Options
    I have some smaller sizes of pants in my closet and I can't wait to get into them

Glad to hear that!

• Blackdawn_70631
    Options
    Trishism wrote: »
    I always kept my favourite smaller clothes. Two weeks ago I tried on a pair of jeans I haven't work in two years and had a bit of a muffin top, but now they fit comfortably, and I have two more pairs of jeans each a size smaller than the next to work towards fitting into.

Although I DID buy a jacket I could barely zip up, knowing that I'm losing weight. I forgot it at my parents cottage so I wont see it for another couple weeks but maybe that'll fit better too when I eventually get it back. Lol!

It's DEFINITELY good motivation to keep losing when you finally fit into something again(or better), though.

I done the same with my newest jacket. It is tight when zipping up, but the idea is to lose weight to fit into it. Not buy something bigger.

Good luck on your return visit!

• sparkynazca
    sparkynazca Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    When I was 11 years old, my dad was obsessed with me staying a size 5. He would make me wear size 5 clothes around the house, even though I was a size 12. To this day I have scars around my waist from the jeans he helped cram me into. I would never use smaller clothes as motivation.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    totes
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    As we speak I'm wearing a dress my hubby bought me 5 years ago. Today is the first time I've ever worn it because it was too small back then. I have a wide belt on it now because it's way too baggy. I love this dress, probably going to have to have it taken in though.
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Options
    When I was 11 years old, my dad was obsessed with me staying a size 5. He would make me wear size 5 clothes around the house, even though I was a size 12. To this day I have scars around my waist from the jeans he helped cram me into. I would never use smaller clothes as motivation.

I am sorry for your experience. My mom told me I was fat at 100 lbs at 5'6" in my teens & that I ate too much. I was actually under weight and still growing. Took me getting married and the support from my husband to gain weight. I really totally support that. Not everyone is the same. I actually like being on the heavier side even though it's not completely healthy for me just because of what I experienced with my mom and married a man who likes/prefers me heavier. His quote is, "I liked big butts before they were popular."
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Options
    GothyFaery wrote: »
    As we speak I'm wearing a dress my hubby bought me 5 years ago. Today is the first time I've ever worn it because it was too small back then. I have a wide belt on it now because it's way too baggy. I love this dress, probably going to have to have it taken in though.

LOL..Oh wow. Now that's a success story!

• odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Oh this is my favorite thing! I remember I bought all these pants and a belt back in 2008 before I started teaching and bought them small because I was going to lose weight...but I never did :P Still, I kept them and after I moved, and started my new job and MFP 2 years ago I lost about 30 pounds and now they're my best fitting, best looking slacks!
  • pdav2014
    Options
    7 years ago my husband (who owns a business) bought fleece jackets for important clients. He bought me one, too. I never was able to wear it -- much too small, though not a small size -- until now. He thought I just didn't like it. I was too mortified to let him know I couldn't zip it. I am going to be wearing it this winter!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I did this early on I bought a very nice dress, but it never did fit right - too big at the top and too boxy in the middle.

Right now I have a dress in my closet that I plan on wearing to our office holiday lunch and though it fits I really hope it will fit loosely by then ;)