This may sound weird and/or possibly a little conceited but...

Options
2»

Replies

• flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Funny, but I had a similar experience on a recent trip to NYC. On the train from the airport, I noticed the levels of obesity. The next morning, I walked the loop in Central Park (knee problems prevent me from running). I was very impressed with the fitness level of the runners and cyclists there, but I had an overwhelming desire to hug or high five several individuals who were there, working very hard, who were in the shape I was at the beginning of my journey. They were the ones I was most thrilled to set out there, amongst the sea of Lycra and wicking tops.
  • LadyTalulah
    LadyTalulah Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I totally get where you're coming from! I remember a time where I wouldn't step foot in a gym because I didn't want to be "the fat girl who should really just stop trying". When I would see other women looking great in their tight gym gear, I would get really jealous and upset because I felt they were judging me! Oh how silly that sounds now…
    I am a gym bunny now, I love my body and I'm definetely in good shape. But when I see the newcomers looking really self-concious, I just want to tell them to relax! The gym has taught me never to be afraid of being a beginner and I feel that's a huge lesson!
    I could compare myself to the female bodybuilders at my gym and have the same feeling as before, because they can lift heavier than me and definetely have more definition! But now, all they do is inspire me because I know how hard they've worked to get to that point! As do those who went from being obese to slightly overweight. I might be in better shape than them but they've worked so much harder to get where they are and that's inspirational!
    I love surrounding myself with people who are dedicated to fitness, at any level. Now, instead of judging who looks best in what at the gym, I seek out people who are putting in the effort to better themselves!
  • ACJP2014
    ACJP2014 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling, I ran in shorts, in day light, outside, and past busy coffee shops for the first time last week. OK so I was still a little self conscious, but that gave me the motivation to make it all the way down the road and turn the corner before I let me self slow to a walk.
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I am one of the ones that wants to hide at the gym. I love going, but preforming some of the things there can be a bit embarrassing. I see people smile at me, and I bet they are thinking the same thing all of you are saying. They want to give encouragement, but are afraid of offending. Trust me, that smile, that nod or thrumbs up is just as much encouragement as words.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I used to wear bagging trouser most of the time, I hated people seeing me in anything tight especially leggings.

Now I wear running tights outdoors, leggings in the gym and also to/from and in shops. I don't seem to care anymore.

I'm still well over weight but I'm not as self conscious anymore.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I get where you're coming from too.

Years ago I was obese. Through a series of decisions, including joining martial arts, I lost 90 lbs. Part of my success was due to one of the other girls training at that dojo who took me under her wing at the beginning because she had once been obese. She approached me the first day and encouraged me in my journey and I will always be so appreciative of her for that.

One day, after I had lost the weight, I was training and a new girl, about the same size as I had been when I started, came in for a trial session. She was obviously way out of her comfort zone and trying to shrink away. She lasted about 20 minutes with one of the Senseis showing her some moves before dissolving into tears and running out of the dojo. Knowing how she felt because I had been there, I asked that Sensei (who was a bit of a jerk) if I could have the girl's phone number because I would love to talk to her and encourage her not to give up. He refused and said something snide that I don't recall but it was mean - something about waste of time. That was about 6 years ago and I still think about that.

I often wonder where that line is of encouraging someone in their journey if I don't know them. I don't want to offend or cause someone to be uncomfortable. At the same time though I know how crucial that support from a stranger was for me when I felt hopeless.
  • DiamondDiva914
    DiamondDiva914 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have made decision to not buy any more plus sized clothing....but it's super hard for me to walk out of a store without a new sports bra, workout top, or pants! I really like buying new clothes to workout in....it's almost like buying a uniform to go to work. Feels great!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I wear what's comfy and cheap and gets least sweat soaked, which is shorts and a tank top. Wore them when I was fat, too. I'm sure I look like hell working out with sweat flying everywhere and stuff but like... it's not a fashion show, what do I care. lol
  • jbaker436
    jbaker436 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think it's sweet that you were empathetic and wanted to be encouraging. When I first started my journey, I was also poor so I worked out in a gym (complimentary) at my corporate headquarters. That was really intimidating. In addition to baggy pants & t-shirt, I wore a ball cap, partially to catch the extra sweat but mostly to hide my face from any VIPs or folks would might know me. I told myself that the shallow folks might think badly of me, but the people that really are there to be healthy would appreciate my attempts. Fortunately, over time I felt more comfortable and I wasn't so self-conscience. I got in shape and lost some weight while working there. I'm working on getting back into shape and still prefer extra roomy clothes when working out, but feel a lot more confident when I work out wherever I am. Here's to everyone walking thru the gym door for the first time (and the 100th time!) B)
  • Sebismom
    Sebismom Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Your comments made me laugh because I'm one of those shlubby sweats and oversize t-shirts kind of gals at the gym. Well, actually I try (if I can remember) to follow the rule of only one loose item to keep the sloppiness at bay. So loose t-shirt and fitted bottom or shorts, or tight t-shirt and loose sweats. I'm not trying to be invisible, and I hope no one feels like I am. I just refuse to spend money on workout wear, so all my shirts are my husband's cast-offs.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    When I noticed a woman enduring what was obviously an intro session with a trainer, shapeless shirt over baggy trackpants, smileless and trying to be as invisible as possible, I felt a sudden urge to go over and give her a big hug...just for being there.

... not gonna lie, I wasn't expecting the rest of this section to be as nice as it turned out being.

That's what's been keeping me from going to the gym, or going on my bike, or basically exercising at all these past few years... I'm scared s**tless of being the visibly fat and out-of-shape person. I've been afraid of the derision, condescention, and the feeling that people are wondering, "why bother?" or "if only you'd done this sooner" or something. It's immensely comforting to see that people are probably not thinking that at all - that they might actually be happy for me?

• sazrina
    sazrina Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I do kind of get where you are coming from. I seem to have gone from someone who wanted to hide in the background to someone who wears the tight lycra clothes and looks like they live in the gym.
  • EmmaOnTrack
    EmmaOnTrack Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    When I noticed a woman enduring what was obviously an intro session with a trainer, shapeless shirt over baggy trackpants, smileless and trying to be as invisible as possible, I felt a sudden urge to go over and give her a big hug...just for being there.

... not gonna lie, I wasn't expecting the rest of this section to be as nice as it turned out being.

That's what's been keeping me from going to the gym, or going on my bike, or basically exercising at all these past few years... I'm scared s**tless of being the visibly fat and out-of-shape person. I've been afraid of the derision, condescention, and the feeling that people are wondering, "why bother?" or "if only you'd done this sooner" or something. It's immensely comforting to see that people are probably not thinking that at all - that they might actually be happy for me?
    Unless they are so far up their own *kitten* they can't see beyond their own lycra clad supremacy, then I can GUARANTEE that the folks who look at you at the gym are only full of incredibly admiration for you. The vast majority of us have been exactly where you are and know what guts it takes to do what you're doing. :)

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!