I can run!

Options
megbee617
megbee617 Posts: 100 Member
This might be more appropriate for the fitness/exercise section, but I want to celebrate a *very* small victory.

After several weeks of cardio "training" with the elliptical and arc trainer, I finally tried running (jogging really, about 15min/mile). But I was able to go 10 minutes straight without stopping! And then walked 5 minutes and ran 10 more minutes! Let me tell you, I have NEVER been able to do that! It's such an awesome feeling to meet a fitness goal (even if it's so small).

I want to try to work at it more so I can run a full 5k this spring. Any tips?

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Wahoooo!! That's a HUGE victory. Congrats!

Google the Couch to 5k program. It's what most people use to train for their first 5km.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, if your goal is to do a 5K just gradually increase your running intervals (try about +1 minute at at time) and decrease your walking intervals and you'll find yourself ready in plenty of time.

Keep your runs slow for now, don't worry about speed, it's all about building up your aerobic capacity and allowing your body time to make the physiological changes that running needs.

Most importantly.....remember this is about having fun while improving your fitness. With consistency and a positive attitude you will amaze yourself!
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Well done you! I second the C25K which has turned me into a runner as well. Good luck!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    consistency is the key I do a run walk pattern and completed a 5k last weekend 24:39. I'm hoping I can get it under 24 minutes. Have Fun that is the key to sticking with it. Good Luck
  • ShayeDei
    Options
    Huge victory! Keep it up! I just recently reached a goal of running a mile without stopping and looking to run a 5k. Sending you a friend request:)
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Great job! I've just finished c25k on Thursday and will be running my first 5k tomorrow, you should try it out.
  • medlaura
    medlaura Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Congrats, that is awesome!!!!!! :D
  • AniLandSmiles
    AniLandSmiles Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You sound so positive and enthusiastic! I love it! I am doing the c25k and it has been very good for me. You can download the app for free to your smart phone (if you have one), and you might even be able to start like half way through, since you're able to run 15 minutes already. Just something to think about.
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I liked the C25K program, but you are so far along, you would need to start at week 5 to actually challenge yourself (jog 5 min, walk 3 min, jog 5 min, walk 3 min, jog 5 min). The idea of increasing running intervals and decreasing walking intervals might be better.
  • pmur
    pmur Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I third or fourth the Couch to 5k. The couch to 5k group here is amazing. I survived the program because of the support from runners there. I started the program in late December and ran a half marathon in september(almost 9 months to the day). I never thought I'd run a 5k, forget a half.
    Only tip, if you feel out of breath, can't talk, need to pee etc, slow down. And like someone said on the group, when the going gets tough it helps to concentrate on your breathing and focus to breathe right. It helps to do that even today.
  • rupert2011
    rupert2011 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Great Job!! This is not a small thing this is the awakening and a huge step toward your goal. You can do it!! So happy for you, what an inspiration. Keep going.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    This is awesome!!! Just keep on doing what you're doing with the intervals. And....why wait until spring? You can do 5K's and run/walk them. Don't worry about time initially - you can work up to that. Just concentrate on finishing and having fun!!! It's also nice to have a buddy or two to do it with you.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!