need lifting advice *also recommended weight

Options
sirfunalot2385
sirfunalot2385 Posts: 3
edited November 2014 in Introduce Yourself
Hello im a 5'7 male weighing 212, my goal is to get to 150 with lean muscle i lost 10 lbs this month with good calorie intake and excersize.

So this past week i added weights to my workout
Also taking the omega 3's as part if my dietary supplement. I would like to know a person being 5'7 is 150lbs a good weight or is that too skinny?

Also i would like to know as part of my weight lifting i need to know what work out to get good muscle definition. As baby steps and part of my workout i do a pre post workout of jogging 30 minutes on the tread mill then i go lift.

I work out both my triceps, biceps, shoulders, and chest, and abs. But i need to know what my workout should be so i can get a good definition in my chest arms shoulders. For abs i just do 3 sets of crunches of 35's. Is there more abs workouts i can do?

Replies

• haildodger
    haildodger Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 is a nice beginner program, and has a good free app to guide you.

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
  • sirfunalot2385
    Options
    HaiLDodger wrote: »
    Stronglifts 5x5 is a nice beginner program, and has a good free app to guide you.

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Thats kinda hard because i have a planet fitness membership with only machines, no free weights w/barbells
  • Hymay
    Hymay Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would second the Stronglifts , or Starting Strength from Mark Rippetoe...
    Sadly, both those are barbell workouts. For starting fitness, I would really rec free weights.. machines are great for isolated problem areas, or working around injuries, but building a foundation, you want it all connected. Compound lifts work muscle groups together, rather than isolated. Do what ya can with PF, but I'd start looking around, the free weights would be worth it. As for an ideal weight, you will have to base it off your own body frame.. try to get an estimate of your current body fat%.. and figure out how much lean mass you have right now.. and add the desired amount of muscle lbs.
    As for defiinition, that will be more a matter of getting rid of BF than which workout you do to build str and muscle.

There is also a plethora of bodyweight workouts on youtube you could look into. You can get quite muscular with just those, and also work with compount movements rather than machine isolation.

For muscle growth, research workouts that optimize both Growth Hormone and T. How you work out can make a big difference there.
  • sirfunalot2385
    sirfunalot2385 Posts: 3
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hymay wrote: »
    I would second the Stronglifts , or Starting Strength from Mark Rippetoe...
    Sadly, both those are barbell workouts. For starting fitness, I would really rec free weights.. machines are great for isolated problem areas, or working around injuries, but building a foundation, you want it all connected. Compound lifts work muscle groups together, rather than isolated. Do what ya can with PF, but I'd start looking around, the free weights would be worth it. As for an ideal weight, you will have to base it off your own body frame.. try to get an estimate of your current body fat%.. and figure out how much lean mass you have right now.. and add the desired amount of muscle lbs.
    As for defiinition, that will be more a matter of getting rid of BF than which workout you do to build str and muscle.

There is also a plethora of bodyweight workouts on youtube you could look into. You can get quite muscular with just those, and also work with compount movements rather than machine isolation.

For muscle growth, research workouts that optimize both Growth Hormone and T. How you work out can make a big difference there.

Im confused some of the stuff you stated was not specific enough, sure looking up youtube videos about good weight lifting is nice but i need one specific core to work with and stay on that program for awhile.