Where do I even start?

Options
I've always had a weight problem and been on diets since I was 3yrs old (ugh) but now as an adult I have celiac disease, fibromyalgia and arthritis and am now 306 lbs. I've gained 70lbs in the last 3 yrs despite walking or biking 3-4 times a week as those are the only things left I can do without horrible pain. It feels hopeless. I tried a garcina product and it made current issues worse so I had to quit it - I think any weight loss drug is out of the question due to being on quite a number of other prescription drugs already. I desperately want to lose 10% by end of the year just to help make current health symptoms more bearable. Where do I start?

Replies

• funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Start right where you are, with what you are eating today. Just start logging and eating the foods and doing the exercise that you are doing right now. Logging is the most important part.

Logging is not magic, but it's close. You'll do a diary of your food, it looks like this: (mine)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/funchords

Logging your food, reading your logs. Here's why:
    • When you log what you're eating before you eat it, you have a second chance to make a better decision.
    • When you see the log of what you're eating over time, you'll investigate alternatives and make changes
    • When you get into practice, logging takes less than 5 minutes per day
    • When you log through your crises -- when you feel or are out of control, you're back in control as soon as your next meal and you don't feel so bad because you know where you are (the biggest part of fear is not knowing)

(And, as someone sensitive to food like you are, logging can help track down food reactions.)

Logging provides the info, the control, and the "didn't quit" that will make your effort successful. You'll even do it after you've lost the weight, to help train you to maintain. So get really good at it. It's worth it.

After a few days of logging, you'll start eating better because of all of the above. You'll start to hit the target once in a while -- then days in a row. Then your weight will start to drop.

Weight loss isn't about perfect control, it's about good enough control. So don't fret over a bad day -- it's just a day in a lifetime. Just log it and keep going.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I would add to the above ^^ regarding logging, that the only way you can log accurately is if you buy a food scale and weigh your food. Otherwise you will be guessing at portion sizes. An apple for example, can weigh anywhere from 85 grams to 210 grams depending on size and 3 ounces of chicken breast meat is not an entire breast. If you want to lose weight on a regular basis, you do need to weigh foods.

55835802.png

• estitom
    estitom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It sounds tough. I wouldn't be able to do it on my own if I were you. Have you had any contact with a dietitian lately?
  • EmergingDawn
    EmergingDawn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for this really great advice. No I have not seen a dietitian lately but it might be worth looking into. I have been writing down what I eat in a notebook as per rheumatologist request and it was how I figured out rice, corn, quinoa where making symptoms worse and to cut them out, but my portion sizes might be definitely off. I will start with a tight control of tracking and portion sizes
  • time4linda
    Options
    caryena2 - I am right with you today, knowing that I must do something but overwhelmed on where to start. Is a goal of 10% in 2 months realistic? That's 3.5 pounds per week. Careful not to set yourself up for failure. My first step (and sounds like yours, too) was to sign up here. The others have given us good advice. Thank you. I will start with logging what I am doing right now, then try to make small changes as I go. Sodakat - great progress you have made! Good tip on weighing & measuring. I know how easy it is to over estimate food portions.
  • rattleh3ad
    rattleh3ad Posts: 50
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Log everything you eat, don't cheat at all. Be 100% honest with what you eat. Measure everything. Learn to read food labels.

Diet is 95% of weight loss. Exercise determines your fitness, what you eat determines your weight. You can't outrun a bad diet.

As I said before, the most important thing you can do is eat at a calorie deficit and log everything you eat. You WILL lose weight eating a deficit, it's biologically impossible not too.

Some tips. Cut out all drinks, and stick to water only. Sugary drinks are empty calories that can pile on quickly. Drink loads of water every day. It keeps you fuller and hydrated. Don't eat until you are full, eat until you are not hungry. Try to eat on a consistent schedule every day, and don't wait until you are starving to eat, as that can lead to a binge. Cook meals at home, that way you know what exactly you put into them, and you can measure out your portions. Avoid eating out, restaurant portions are ridiculous. If you are a fast food addict like I was and you must absolutely have it, go to Taco Bell, as there foods are the least caloric heavy.

I would stick to eating loads of lean meats and veggies. These are loaded with protein and fiber and are pretty low on calories so you can eat more and feel fuller.

As far as exercise, I wouldn't worry about it now if you are in pain now, when you get lighter you can start focusing on light cardio.

I know this is a lot to take in, and it will take a bit to get used to. It's a lifestyle change after all, and don't expect results overnight.

I will once again state this again: Eating at a calorie deficit, you WILL lose weight

Also, can I ask, do you only want to lose 10% of your weight to make it more bearable or do you want to reach a healthy weight which will no doubt ease your arthritis tenfold?

I know what's it like and how hard it is but you can do it. I was once 280lbs and am now down to 210 and I feel great and I won't stop until I am within a healthy BMI.
  • EmergingDawn
    EmergingDawn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi Rattleh3ad - yes the long term goal is to be around 150-170. I just know I need to do something now, today. And need to see immediate results that will make me feel a bit better now not 2 yrs from now if that makes any sense at all. Your suggestions are awesome - thank you.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    People are going to throw a lot of food tips at you, which I see has started. These are not shortcuts to the logging (accurately, with a food scale). Don't let the tips overwhelm you - instead, write them out and try the ones that you're ready to try. Don't try everything, you'll get overwhelmed and frustrated and quit. Take this a step at a time. It begins with logging.

Your MFP logs can replace your rheumatologist notebook. Just print out your logs. You can even type in food notes in your logs. Let your logs inspire you and take on the tips that make the most sense when you're inspired, ready and looking for a change in that area. Enjoy this -- I have.

Day 113, down 65 lbs, 233 heading for 208.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Try eating smaller, more frequent meals and learn how many calories it takes to keep you going without hunger. For myself, I've learned that about 175 calories lasts me about 3 hours. It doesn't satiate me, but i know that if I eat that amount, I won't be obsessing on my hunger. I eat 4-5x/day in that range plus 1 larger meal
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I think you've had very good advice here. I'd like to add two things: If you can, keep walking. It's very good for your overall health. The other thing is to take some time to search through the success stories on the forum here. You will find all kinds of inspiration! Just know that it is possible to lose weight and feel better, but it's not a race, it's a whole change in habits!
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    funchords wrote: »
    People are going to throw a lot of food tips at you, which I see has started. These are not shortcuts to the logging (accurately, with a food scale). Don't let the tips overwhelm you - instead, write them out and try the ones that you're ready to try. Don't try everything, you'll get overwhelmed and frustrated and quit. Take this a step at a time. It begins with logging.

Your MFP logs can replace your rheumatologist notebook. Just print out your logs. You can even type in food notes in your logs. Let your logs inspire you and take on the tips that make the most sense when you're inspired, ready and looking for a change in that area. Enjoy this -- I have.

Day 113, down 65 lbs, 233 heading for 208.

Listen to this kind of advise. There are NO tricks, secrets, magic, or super foods to life changing success. I would highly suggest pursuing funchords as a friend. It sure sounds like he has great perspective and sensible, accurate advise.

The only thing I'd add to thoroughly and accurately logging of your meals and snacks is to be HONEST on your logging. I find myself being tempted all the time to not log "this" and "that" and that I'll just remember to adjust later. But, I look in the mirror to see who I'm fooling and who is being hurt and log it anyway. And I am ALWAYS glad for doing it. Why? Logging gives knowledge and knowledge is power!

That power gives me relief to know and SEE that perfection is NOT required. I see where I varied from my plan and I can see the consequences that each variance has on my weight loss goals. It keeps things in proper perspective and wards off unnecessary worrying. RARELY are the consequences even detectable. And those consequences that are detectable can be traced back to the cause, be'cause' - the cause was logged honestly :relieved:

Best wishes on your journey :smile:
  • starchild3
    starchild3 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am only a week into this and I too have fibromyalgia. This is what is working for me...I have cut out junk food, I log everything I eat (even if it's bad) and am logging all my exercise. It's actually helping me! I decided that this is it and am just doing it. It helps me so much! The people here are amazing! With exercise I do what I can, and as long as I move everyday I feel good about it! You got this!
  • Rachelwin65
    Rachelwin65 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have been logging for a couple of months and am down 21 lbs. so far. I bought a fitbit, too, and walk just about every day. I can tell you that the first couple of weeks were tough, but it got much easier pretty quickly. You CAN do this. And you will start to feel better long before hitting your 10% goal!