WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    Options
    No Halloween callers! Booooooo hoooooooooo! ! ! ! !

Off to DSIL'S as soon as we've exercised. Will write more from her house. <3

Love to all from rainy Hampshire UK

Heather
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,737 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~ we had maybe 15 trick or treaters, and i ate alot of candy, oh well, It is bagged up and the DH can take it to work, or give it to the electrician that is coming today to finish up...;lately I have been having 2 cups of tea in the morning.. and I quite like it, at least it is fluid going in ..
    Have to work until noon today, and then dont know the plan..
    I have to grocery shop sometime, I usually go early Sunday morning,but have to go to 8 am mass for my godson, tomorrow would have been his 31 birthday, died in a car wreck when he was 20..
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie for the new thread :flowerforyou:

Hugs and prayers to all <3

Hugs,
    DeeDee in cold and rainy NC
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Good morning.......awake off and on since 1:30......got up at 4am......my back is just not happy when I'm flat. Med taken and heating pad on.......questionable if I will make tai chi and yoga this am. Will probably go and just do what I can. Bit of drama from DH's family yesterday......spoke my piece to him and letting him handle it. Often grateful they (well, that a couple of them, anyway) are far, far away.

Barbie...........Thanks for moving my post; I was so surprised to see it here!........you are brilliant!!!! (but the regulars here know that!!!) Thanks for the new thread!

Mary.........HAPPY, happy birthday!!!!!

Margaret........Love your decor; wow, you had a ton of kids come by for candy!!!

Kim.......Neat pics!!! You are artistic in so many ways!!!

Katla.........WOW, you did fabulous on your goals!! Congrats from someone less successful. I admire your determination and honesty. Sounds like your night was one to remember; hope you took lots of pics.

Alison........Sorry it will be such a sad, sad day for you tomorrow(hugs).

Need to get the birds fed and make another cup of tea.
    Stay strong, ladies.
    Welcome newbies!!!!!

yanniejannie...........now roasting between DH turning up the heat and my heating pad!!!

PS Reminder: Clocks change here in the US tonight........fall back!

• PennyGK
    PennyGK Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good morning from frosty New Hampshire! I would love to be part of this motivational group. I've been a lifetime member of weight watchers for 20+ years - always maintaining my weight . . .until I hit 50. Usual weight lose methods do not work anymore. I would feel so much better if the 10 lbs. I've been carrying around for the last 4 years would just go away. Weight watchers is not longer an option - I live in a remote area and the meeting is now too far to travel. I love Fitness Pal and am happy to find a support group that understands weight gain and aging! Is the first step to set monthly goals?
    + PennyGK freezing in New Hampshire!
  • donnamwebb39
    donnamwebb39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Happy November, Everyone! Well, I survived Halloween without eating the candy! Made sure that I kept the bags tied up until late afternoon, then my youngest son took control and had door duty. We didn't have many (about 27) but I only bought enough for 42, and the leftovers were divided amongst my children with strict orders to keep it in their rooms or stomachs! I have also found that the thought of having to log everything I eat keeps me from eating some bad things.

Time to get set for the fall rainy season. Today looks clear, but rain is forecast for all of next week. At least it will be in the mid-50s(F) and not colder.

PennyGK - Welcome. This group is amazing. There are no other words for the ladies here.

Yanniejannie - Sorry about your back and the family drama. Nothing winds me up faster than nonsense family drama issues. Life is too short to carry out that kind of stuff. Family is supposed to help and support each other in a sometimes harsh world, not to be the cause of problems. Hopefully your husband can get things sorted.

Donna from Western Washington

So, goals for November:
    1. Take an outside walk at least 3x per week
    2. Continue to log everything that goes into my mouth and print report daily for notebook
    3. Only weigh in once per week (Mondays)
    4. Find and contemplate 1 new thing everyday that I am truly thankful for and write it down on the back of each day's printed report

75507908.png
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    :smiley: Welcome, Penny...this is a great place to be because there is someone here to connect with all day and all night even on weekends and holidays.....these women are the sisters I always wanted---loving, supportive, non-judgmental, and a least one person understands whatever I am going through.

smiley-computer001.gifBarbie in chilly NW Washington
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Barbie: thanks for the new thread and hope you slept well! I actually like the image of the older kids holding out their t-shirts to get candy. It’s better than getting drunk or harassing people.

Sylvia: I’m with Yanniejannie. Spot deserves a great home!

Michele: maybe it would help to not think of it at bending, just putting the very tips of your fingers on the food. I froze bananas last night; am going to try the cocoa thing this evening.

Pat: haha, jaws wired shut…I know the feeling.

Kim: ah, knife skills, that would be it! Thanks.

Alison: thinking of you.

This is the last weekend for our fave outdoor café, which is closing for the winter. Always sad, but even more so this year since the guy running it is stopping after 20 years to take another job. At least it’s nice weather this weekend and we can sit out with a sweater or jacket on. I may well go over on calories (not everything’s on their menu these last days) but will try not to freak out and eat a lot in the evening, which has been my downfall recently. We got them a cute, personalized backpack for their little boy, who is going to kindergarten, and will bring them some flowers. Here's a photo of the backpack, with an apple to show the size (the backpack looks big on the photo but it's not, really).
    chylkaxjhr8a.jpg

Hope everyone has a good day.
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    OK. Scale this morning was kind ... no loss or gain after my ridiculous month.

Last month's goals ... total bust.

This month's goals ...
    Weigh and log every bite every day.
    Exercise at gym at least 1x a week ... specifically weights.
    Exercise at home at least 20 minutes each day.
    Drink 8 glasses of water each day.

Beth in Western New York

• Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Hi new here.. Just started MFP in October, saw and read a few of Octobers posts. Nice active group here. I am 63 and my weight loss goal is to lose 75 lbs. I did well in October and even got thru Halloween without incidence. I am down 15 lbs. I messed up my weight loss scale so MFP shows only a 3 lbs loss :( but thats ok. I have a "retired" DH, and two grown DD who still live at home, and too many pets to mention. I have struggled with my weight on and off forever and have tried many diets. I do best with low/no carb diets as I seem to loose and feel better on them. Its just sticking to them. Last month I bought my 1st fitbit zip and this little gadget has really given me motivation, also bought one for one DD. So we are trying to help each other. My goals this month are to continue this journey, track every morsel that goes in my mouth, walk min. 10,000 steps per day, bicycle 30 min. per day, and to drink 64 oz of water per day. Doesn't sound like much when I type it, but its a big change for me. I think I am addicted to anything sweet, salty, and to breads. So I have to stay clear.
    From reading/skimming over some of Octobers post I see many of you also have live struggles, we all do I hope I can be supportive to you all too. Thanks for letting me share.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,638 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie for getting us started… Sounds like I was in good company eating too much Halloween candy ! GRRR but it is leaving today – my housemate is taking it with her somewhere.

YannieJannie – thanks for the time change reminder… I forgot!

Penny GK – welcome!!!

Donna – I don’t respond often to your posts but read them, as there are always great nuggets in them! Thanks for sharing.

Ming – welcome!

Levi and I walked this morning and I am spending today at a place called Apple Hill – it is about 1.5 hour drive from me in the foothills. A friend goes every year and this time I am going with her… I have never been; and she is a bit set in her ways… I gather it is apple farms that open up a small area for apple based food, crafts, etc… It will be interesting. There are only certain places that she stops – she has been doing it exactly the same for 25 years… Please my hope is that as I age I continue to be flexible, and willing to try new things.

October Goals:
    Breathe – did this and thought of you all with “ hunger is not an emergency” and “don’t let perfect be the enemy of good”
    Log every day – did this, but did not keep good enough notes and know I missed some stuff and the scale shows it.
    Walk every day – did this!

November Goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday
    And I need to figure out a couple more

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • PennyGK
    PennyGK Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What a warm welcome! Thank you all!

I've known for a long time that my dog's are slowing down . . .we walk for 50 minutes everyday and it's become a very slow walk! So the first change I need to make is to put me first and adjust the daily cardio so it works for all of us!!!!

I also know that the two best things I can do to stay on track is measure and log and journal the journey . . it's always worked for me and is less time consuming with My Fitness Pal.

That said, my November goals are set to get me back on track . . .

November Goals -
    Up the cardio - 20 minutes on the treadmill - 20 minutes with the dogs M, W, F
    Up the cardio - 30 minutes on the treadmill - 20 minutes with the dogs T, TH, S
    Log all bites - good and bad
    Go over set step goal - everyday. Sync Garmin with Fitness Pal!
    Journal via Fitness Pal Blog

Ming - I just started too . . . .I'm excited to join this group and hope we can all help each other. Welcome!
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Good morning everyone! It was frosty here this morning. First time it's been below freezing which to me means...NO MORE MOSQUITOS! Walking will be much more pleasant now.

I weighed myself this morning, for a bright new start to a bright new month, and the scale was really good to me. I was so happy I drug hubby into the bathroom to see the numbers. 183.4!!!!!!!!!! And that was after eating two pieces of halloween candy last night too. So, I am feeling pretty darned good this morning. Three pounds for the month. That's OK. Better than nothing and it all adds up.

Spot slept in the recliner last night and did really well. He didn't whine like he did when I locked him in the laundry room. I got up at 3:00 to let him out and he did his business and ran right back in to the recliner. What a good boy. Now if only he would learn to use the doggie door. We're working on that, but hoping he won't be with us long enough to do it. It's such a joy to watch him and Bruno playing together. They are like brothers. It's funny when they get up on their hind legs and "box" each other.

The lady who had lost a blue heeler mix called and I emailed her a picture. It's not him. So, back to the drawing board.

We went to swim laps at the Y this morning and now I'm up at the studio. I was hoping to get some stuff glazed and start the kiln before I leave but it's still too hot to unload from yesterday, so that will have to wait. We aren't going to the lake this weekend. Tomorrow is hubby's 65th birthday and we are going to Joplin to go to dinner tonight. Tomorrow the kids are coming in the afternoon for playing, dinner and birthday cake.

Well, I have to go do something constructive before the day slips away. Have a wonderful weekend and a great November!

di1e083wn153.jpg

(sorry that came out so big! It's from Model My Diet, and I pasted it into coreldraw to show all three versions and add the text.)

Sylvia

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today's joke of the day:

:)

A three-year-old had been told several times to get ready for bed. The last time his mom told him, she was every insistent. His response was, "Yes, Sir!" Since he was talking to his mother (and she is a woman), it was not expected of him to call her "Sir".

"You would say, 'yes sir,' to a man, I am a lady, and you would say 'Yes Ma'am,' to a lady," Mom said. To quiz him on is lesson; she then asked him, "What would you say to Daddy?"

"Yes Sir!" was the reply

"Then what would you say to Mama?"

"Yes, Ma'am!" he proudly answered.

"Good boy! Now what would you say to Grandma?"

He lit up and said, "Can I have a cookie?"

o:)
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Lost 13 lbs in October. I hope November is even half as good weight-wise. I can't do any standing exercises because of a foot/ankle problem that I am getting physical therapy for. So, my main goal this month is to do upper body workouts every other day, and lower body workouts on the PT table 2X a week. I will take Saturdays or Sundays as a day off.

I also have a goal of getting through Thanksgiving. I thought we were having dinner here, which meant a small meal within my calorie range. But, we are going to a relative's house, and there will be plenty of Italian women bearing good food and saying, "Eat, eat. It's just one day." That will be a challenge. But, I plan to lose this month anyway. I have to do this to help my foot/ankle get better.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,
    Yesterday we put out a bowl of candy so that kids wouldn't ring the door bell and drive the dogs crazy. It worked okay. I had a wonderful counselling appointment and I have some things to work on.

My goals for November
    Survive my return to work
    Get back to an hour a day on the dreadmill
    Drink my water

Robin Bodi and Ritter in the PNW
  • jaynalawayna
    jaynalawayna Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm new to this group but have been on MFP for a couple of years now with weight loss painfully slow. I'm a single mother with a dependent daughter who turned 18 in May (dealing with anxiety and depression from childhood trauma). In 2011 I had a scary call from my doctor and started exercising and eating better and dropped 30 pounds then stalled out (probably due to the fact that I hit a rough patch in January 2012 - lost my job, resulting legal issues, then my roommate-another single Mom with teenaged daughter-bailed on me and we had to find a new place to live) . I found MFP in the latter part of 2012 and gradually lost a bit more. In July the doctor took me off my regular diabetic and blood pressure meds because of declining kidney function and I bumped up 10 pounds (all the weight is below my knees). On the bright side: I got new bras this summer and am now a 36DD (was 44DD) and bought a new pair of jeans at Old Navy (my first time shopping at a non-large women's store) and am wearing a size 12 (was 18 after 2011 weight loss) So my resolution for November is to walk at least 2 miles every day - exercise with weights at least 3 times a week, and do another form of aerobic exercise 4 times a week.
    Jayna
    Central California
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    Options
    No time to write today, but I have read <3

Goal - DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD! :) (*)

Heather, tired from a long walk, in Newport Pagnell UK
  • Feistycat
    Feistycat Posts: 12,868 Member
    Options
    Oops, I posted to October's thread, so I'll just copy & paste.

I weighed myself this morning and I'm at my lifetime high: 182. I'm 5'2". As today is November 1st, I am recommitting myself to Move More, Eat Less. I hadn't been trying all that hard before, and look where it got me.

For breakfast today I had one hardboiled egg, 1 1/2 oz lowfat cottage cheese, and 1/2 C. blueberries. Now I'm going out for a walk before this storm we're expecting hits. Right now it's quite windy with blue skies and puffy white clouds - a perfect for walking.

-Cat
    Wasatch Front in Utah

Just got back from that walk - broke a sweat. MFP says I burned 182 cals in 40 min. of walking a moderate pace (3mph?)

Sylvia, I love that Model My Diet image of progress!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    PennyGK in New Hampshire: Welcome to a great group. :flowerforyou:

Donna from W WA: I think your idea of finding one thing to be grateful for each day and write it down is a wonderful thing to do. Over time, you’ll be able to count your blessings by reading your journal even when you’re feeling down in the dumps. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: This group of women has become like a family to me, too. I’ve always wanted sisters! :love: :flowerforyou:

Cynthia: I’m sorry that you’re losing your favorite outdoor café for the season. If the proprietor is doing something else, it may mean a permanent change. :flowerforyou:

Beth in W NY: I like your goals for this month. They seem positive and achievable. :flowerforyou:

Ming 1951: Where are you from? Welcome! :flowerforyou:

Kim: Add me to the Halloween sinners. I definitely ate too much candy! If you hold to your two goals for the month, you will have measurable success. If you plan to add goals, try adding something that brings you pleasure. My “have fun every day” goal has been doing wonders for my attitude and discipline. :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: Congratulations on the end of mosquito season and your weight loss. I love the visual of the diet progress and goal. Amazing! Today’s joke made me smile. :flowerforyou:

Jayna from central CA: Welcome to a wonderfully supportive group. :flowerforyou:

I survived Halloween, but ate too much candy. :ohwell: We had a lovely trick or treat with my DGD and my Cousin’s DGD. Both little girls are three, and are just two months apart. I made arrangements with several neighbors for them to trick or treat, and they were treated like little queens. It was fun for them and fun for the neighbors. I need to find a way to thank my neighbors.

Happy November! Don’t forget Fall Back this Sunday! Personally, I long for year round daylight time. Now that I’m retired it is less of a problem. :flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

November Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!

30881843.png