Gone off most chocolate ???? WTH?

Options
I'm not a fussy eater.. the only thing i could'nt swallow previously was sweet n sour chinese sauces and wassabi.. but since ive been eating healthy, low sodium fats and sugars ive notice my taste has become a little more reserved, but to my horror last night anything with icing or chocolate i bit into last night i almost vomited and had to spit it out (i dont spit its discusting), unless it was cadburys.. what the hell is wrong with me?

Is this normal? has it happened to anyone else when they have changed form eating whatever they want to healthy?

This is serious schizney ...so please serious replies only! Im devistated :'(

Replies

• shballa
    shballa Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I noticed that food tastes differently now. Better in general. I appreciate tastes more than when I was just shoving food in my mouth all the time. And yes, I had a reese's peanut butter cup on Halloween, and it was so sweet it made my eyes water. I used to down at least 5 or 6 of those on trick or treat night.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If you stop eating something that tends to have an extreme spectrum taste- when you go back to eating it you find it's wildly unpaletable.

If you really want to keep eating chocolate icing type things- just include them randomly in your diet- not just for special occasions once or twice a year.

It's not a big deal- it happens quiet a lot. You can just make the choice to either fold them into your regular meals or accept you really aren't interested in them that much any more.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    It could be temporary, or your tastebuds have gone off of sugar or one of the oils used in cheaper chocolates. They still might like high-quality chocolate over the low-quality over-processed junk that uses cheap ingredients. Cadbury still uses cocoa butter instead of palm oil, for example.
  • Makterbro
    Makterbro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I remember when I used to absolutely love Mountain Dew, I used to drink it all the time. I had a little a couple weeks ago and it tasted really weird to me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Depends on the chocolate. Most chocolate here tastes horrible, IMO, but give me some Godiva or Lindt and we're talking (I don't typically buy Cadbury so who knows).
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    There's also a natural tendency with age for taste to change. That's why so many little kids like foods such as sugary candy and fried foods, and that's why certain more bitter tastes like black coffee or dry wine are "acquired" tastes.

bonappetit.com/entertaining-style/trends-news/article/sense-of-taste-changes-aging

Try some high-quality high cocoa content (70%+) dark chocolate. Less sugar, more taste. Experiment with chocolate from different regions.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    Well I love chocolate...but I do know taste can change. Mine did. It changed when I lost most of my weight. I used to eat a lot of sugary cereal, not so much anymore. I also used to hate nuts and avocado. Now I can't get enough of it. It's really weird.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate, in small doses. I've never even as a fat chick been able to eat large amounts of chocolate. Anyways I gave up caffeine and all things that contain it, so I haven't had chocolate in about 3-4 months now. I've lost track, I have been tempted of course. with it being Halloween yesterday I could of really gone for a kit-kat bar. lol I am finding it easier to decline now as the month go on. :)
  • segacs
    Options
    I love chocolate, in small doses. I've never even as a fat chick been able to eat large amounts of chocolate.

And I could eat lots and lots of it. Still could. Though I try to stop myself.
    Anyways I gave up caffeine and all things that contain it, so I haven't had chocolate in about 3-4 months now.

Life without chocolate (or my morning cup of coffee) doesn't sound like a life I'd want. I'm sure you have your own good reasons for going off caffeine, so this isn't a criticism or anything. Just saying that I don't think I could ever do that.
    I have been tempted of course. with it being Halloween yesterday I could of really gone for a kit-kat bar. lol I am finding it easier to decline now as the month go on. :)

And, see, I guess I have turned into a bit of a chocolate snob, and I don't even think of kit-kat as "chocolate" anymore -- to me, that's been reclassified as "candy". Oh, don't get me wrong, I'd still enjoy a kit-kat bar from time to time. It's just that with such a limit on calories, I'd rather devote them to the really high quality chocolate. If I'm only buying a small amount, I can afford the really good stuff since a single bar lasts a long time when you eat it a square at a time.

Join us over on the chocoholics thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10013644/fellow-chocoholics
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Yes, when I stopped eating cheap sugary stuff, it did impact my taste for sweets in a very short time. Fruit tastes much sweeter to me now!

I decided that, if I was going to use my calorie allotment for candy, it was going to be good quality dark chocolate. I agree that the high cocoa dark chocolate is really tasty (and it has less sugar). I've been experimenting with dark chocolates I get on amazon.com - recently tried dark chocolate covered espresso beans (zowie). Lindt dark chocolate truffles are very good. I don't know why, but it isn't hard to eat one or two and feel fulfilled. I have no desire to stuff myself on the good chocolate (so far).
  • SXMEnrico
    SXMEnrico Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    well icing is just gross and not all chocolate is created equal. Try a lindt ball and see if you have the same reaction
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the more I eat healthy and the longer I do it.. when I do go back and eat something I used to love, it doesn't taste as good ... but I just look at it like a good thing. Have had less cravings for those kinda of 'bad' food :)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    If you stop eating something that tends to have an extreme spectrum taste- when you go back to eating it you find it's wildly unpaletable.

If you really want to keep eating chocolate icing type things- just include them randomly in your diet- not just for special occasions once or twice a year.

It's not a big deal- it happens quiet a lot. You can just make the choice to either fold them into your regular meals or accept you really aren't interested in them that much any more.

This was my experience too. A while back I experimented with paleo. Everything was cooked from fresh meats and produce and I stopped putting salt on anything or cooking with it. I stopped being able to go out to eat because EVERYTHING after a while tasted too salty.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    It does change... here I was posting on another topic yesterday about me planning on eating sssooo much candy last night (I really was) yet I literally ate 3 candy corns and a fun size kit kat and my sugar/candy craving was satisfied. I was completely shocked. It was really weird to me.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

This was my experience too. A while back I experimented with paleo. Everything was cooked from fresh meats and produce and I stopped putting salt on anything or cooking with it. I stopped being able to go out to eat because EVERYTHING after a while tasted too salty.

Me too. I never put salt in my food anymore...which kind of turned into a problem now, because now I have low blood pressure. But I just can't stand the taste of it anymore. :neutral_face:

• ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I used to love sickeningly sweet desserts in the past. When I got braces, I started to eat a diet that comprised largely of oatmeal, congee, steamed vegetables and fruits. After 6 months, I tried to reintroduce those very same desserts, and realised they were way too sweet for me, and I didn't even crave them all those months. Like someone else has said, fruits now seem a lot sweeter to me than they were in the past. A lot of foods have also started to taste much saltier to me. Not sure of the cause in my altered taste preferences, but there's a small part of me that's quite sad I can't enjoy my beloved desserts from the past like I used to, because I remember how euphoric they made me feel.
  • segacs
    Options
    But there's a small part of me that's quite sad I can't enjoy my beloved desserts from the past like I used to, because I remember how euphoric they made me feel.

Yeah. But then again, lots of stuff used to make me happy when I was a kid and would seem a bit silly to me if I were to do it now. We grow, we evolve, we change.