WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• Gengirl65
    Gengirl65 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    No trick or treaters ... 3 bags of candy ... and no willpower whatsoever...

Will post goals tomorrow ... which may include having jaws wired shut! Sheesh.

• traveler61
    traveler61 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello all,
    Would love to join, but not sure I am really good at the everyday thing. I've lost 9 lbs so far and have about 50 left to lose. I was always really skinny until I got a sit down job and my kid got older, then pounds started creeping on my body. Then I started traveling for work and the pounds continued. Worked from home for three months last year and gained 15 pounds. It also gave me sciatica, which meant almost no exercise, so the 9 lb lose was a struggle.

I have started using my treadmill again, unfortunately not daily yet, tho I did walk 2.30 miles this morning at 3.1 mph. I am also doing yoga off and on again. Really need the weight loss to help my back.

My goals this month:

1. Walk everyday
    2. Eat better
    3. Move more on days I work from home.

Mary in West Virginia
  • karris43
    karris43 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm Jacqui and I've been on MFP for a few years. I originally lost 30lb but then family problems made me stop. A lot has happened since then. But I maintained and I learned about my comfort eating and how stress affects my eating patterns.

So in September I gave up sugar in my drinks and mostly in my food exept fruit which I love. In October I made some step goals on my Fitbit (although I have a desk job so it's difficult).

Now I'm ready to begin again. I've been logging food and exercise for a week now and started some strength training. My diary is open and you'll see that I don't really 'eat clean' but I mainly keep under the calories and eat some of my exercise calories back. My November goals are:

Walk 5 miles a day (or 10k steps)
    Carry on with strength training slowly
    Eat smaller portions
    Eat more fruit
    Start the Couch Potato to 5k programme

I'm 53 years old and I had a double disc prolapse 3 years ago so I'm so thankful that I can still run. I've got a tendency to overdo things in the quest for perfection generally, so I'm determined to take this slowly. I'm doing this to be healthy as I'm happy with my appearance as it is - my mother told me today that I've always been 'big boned' so I guess I'm used to it :-)

You ladies look like you know what you're doing, so nice to meet you!

Jacqui
    Manchester UK
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    Hello all and welcome to newcomers. We had about 20-30 kids last night which is about average so there is just a little candy left and DH will take care of that I think. I did have a few Rolos but nothing over the top. Got my truck winterized and had a lovely massage after.

Sylvia - Hope the dog finds a good home.

Cynthia - You might like to try chopping a small apple or 1/2 a large apple, sprinkle with cinnamon and cook on high in microvave 1 min. Then sprinkle with granola. It makes a nice warm treat without too many calories.

Goals: increase water exercise to 3x per week.
    Walk 105 miles. I made 102.21 last month.
    Do online survey for Sarcoidosis Research Foundation.
    Eat a minimum of 80 grams of protein per day.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Oh, dear. This afternoon I walked around the neighborhood around where I found Spot, passing out flyers and talking to people. There were three people standing out in a yard and I talked to them about Spot. They didn't recognize him, but one man ( who had ONE tooth, I swear!) said that "if he's aggressive, I can take him off your hands." I said, no, he's very gentle. The guy still insisted that if he's a little aggressive he could sure take him. I wouldn't give Spot to that man if he was the last human left on earth! I told my son about it, and he said the guy probably wanted him to guard his meth lab. It's a really bad neighborhood. I sure hope Spot isn't from there.

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Oh, dear. This afternoon I walked around the neighborhood around where I found Spot, passing out flyers and talking to people. There were three people standing out in a yard and I talked to them about Spot. They didn't recognize him, but one man ( who had ONE tooth, I swear!) said that "if he's aggressive, I can take him off your hands." I said, no, he's very gentle. The guy still insisted that if he's a little aggressive he could sure take him. I wouldn't give Spot to that man if he was the last human left on earth! I told my son about it, and he said the guy probably wanted him to guard his meth lab. It's a really bad neighborhood. I sure hope Spot isn't from there.

Spot isn't from the bad neighborhood now, even if he started there. He's met an angel. :heart:
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Katla: my sentiments exactly: Spot is from a good neighborhood now!

Michele: I did the banana/cocoa. I think my freezer's too cold for bananas, though, because I had to microwave the banana for 20 seconds before I could make a dent in it! :D Am I doing something wrong? It tasted really good, though; I could see myself doing this more often. Beats tanking with a tub of ice cream...

Kim: how was the apple thing?

Sue: good suggestion. I'd have to watch the granola, though; it can be high in calories. But again..better than a tub of ice cream....

54053224.png
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy nov 1st!was out for an hour with Violet in the cold,trick or treat.Today my asthma is bad.
    hugs
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    (*) Happy November, lovely ladies. Thank you Barbie for keeping us going.

:p My goals for October were to walk the 8K on Oct 12th - done; restart with Jazzercise - done and doing; restart Therapeutic Yoga - done and doing.

:p In addition to continuing with activities I started in October, for November I want to scale back on mindless eating and increase my mindfulness of eating high nutrient foods.

My arthritis is paining me today, and I am feeling cold and sluggish, so I decided to regenerate myself by just puttering around the house, doing minimal work and wearing extra woollies . I did go to yoga this morning, which was wonderful. If someone had wrapped me in a warm blanket I could have just stayed there.

That's the same after going for a massage, darned. It is such a wonderful treatment, but then you have to get off that comfy table, get dressed and drive home. I am sounding perfectly spoiled, don't I. Must be the arthritis talking. :# [Suck it up, buttercup >:) ]

(*) Sylvia - the depiction of lost weight in your post is awesome and inspiring. It made me smile.

I have to get off this chair. Wishing everyone a great weekend. Hugs to all who need it (okay, I guess we all do). Welcome to all the newcomers.

<3 Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, that is awful about that man who wanted an aggressive dog. I feel sorry for any dog that may may have.

Again, so many new members at the beginning of the month. Welcome to all. Just jump in continue with the conversation and we all help each other.

I am posting from my laptop!!!! I went to Best Buy and had him hook it up to a working charger and it came right to life!!!! So I went back and bought a generic charger. It still has the issue with occasionally having a dark screen but he said it may be a pinch in the wires between the screen and the base. It would cost at least $200 to fix it and it didn't cost much more than that close to 10 years ago. But I am glad to have my friend back!

Joyce, Indiana
  • LizPlus
    LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hello All :)
    Happy November!!! I see that quite a few women on here has lost a good amount of weight... (*) Yay!!! Good Job ladies....it is hard work..pat yourself on your back :)
    I lost a bit of weight last month then gradually put it all back on....eating more then I need...I am soooo discouraged with myself :'( I have had some health problems and even though the extra food just makes my health worse..I still keep on ....and I have been feeling hungry all the time..I am thinking it is a new med I started :\:'(So I Have To Get Back On Track!!!
    Have been out Christmas shopping....it will be more enjoyable when the stores get decked out for it...but I picked up some hard to get items before they were gone...I love Christmas.....enjoy decorating my home....when we lived in our other apartment I would put christmas clings on our outside door....I had children stopping to look at them and I would change it every couple of days...I loved watching their happy faces when they seen Santa or the reindeer....no matter how tired or ill you feel... a child's laugh and smile brings great joy <3
    So another month has came and gone....the cold months have arrived....I do like seeing the first snow fall ...looks like wonderland outside!!
    I am praying this month that I can take off the lbs I put back on...and that my health improves....
    I wish for you all...lbs lost....be happy with being *you* :)

Liz fr Halifax NS
    2507646ps6cr5d7h8.gif

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    Sylvia my friend I think Spot is yours,I think Bruno has found a new friend.
    Today is a total wash.. I wont even begin to type in all the junk I ate.. I have fallen off the wagon and under the wheels of the bus :#
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Took Mildred beagle to vet yesterday, Saturday. Her eyes are irritated by seeds and she has cream, morning and night. Temp and heart are fine. She is 11.5 years and full of lumps and bumps.
    Sunday here and did 30 minutes Bikini Boot-camp with Jeannette for 3612 steps.
    Stan is cooking bacon and eggs. Roast pork for dinner. Logged 1866 food cals and 455 ex cals.
    I did 12209 steps yesterday. Was drizzling at start of my 1 hour walk, but rain mac on and walked. Stopped raining but clod and very windy.
    I start Jeannettes' 6 weeks Sexy Abs program on Monday, I have to do a run/walk 3 mile joggeroo in the morning. Not run for ages. Then part of the Sexy Abs DVD. Oh My
    I have LOST 3 pounds this week keeping to diet and training again. Doctor WILL be pleased.
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • jmkmomm
    Options
    How do I book mark so the November thread will be in my star?

Joyce
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Did 50 minutes of Biggest Loser Power Sculpt DVD. Tomorrow the plan is to ride the recumbant bike. Someone on here reminded me that I have the DVD of "Food, Inc." so I plan to watch that while I'm working out.

I had a turkey breast marinating in the refrigerator so while I exercised I had that baking. Then went to Target to return the candy, bought a bit of these candy corn so if Ken & Lynette come over next weekend for dinner, I'll make this candy corn cake that I have a recipe for. Also bought Vince milk (since this will be the last day it is on sale and Target will price match) and some cream cheese that I couldn't get at WalMart yesterday. Came home and had breakfast. Then portioned out the turkey, made salmon to have later in the week along with some leftovers (plus, I needed the room in the freezer), made these parmesan chicken fingers to take to Mexican Train on Tuesday (would like them to be crunchier, maybe while I'm heating them up I'll put them on broil), now I'm making some sweet potato muffins that I'll freeze and take to Rummikub next week and possibly have leftovers for Thanksgiving (I'll just freeze them). Church later tonight. I put the opened candy in Vince's office. Out of sight, out of mind

Jan - we turned the heat on, too. I was surprised how cold it was this morning. When I went to Target the thermometer in the car said it was 37.

Cat - I certainly wish you luck, especially on the eating less part. With the holidays coming up, I know that I'm going to eat more than I usually do. However, I'm going to try having more and more veggies and just a little of the dessert. If I can, I'm going to try to skip the dessert entirely. But I know that there will be times when I just can't (like on Thanksgiving and Christmas). We're not going to the Newcomer holiday party this year. Honestly, I don't feel like I'm missing a whole lot. It looks like it's going to be a sit-down affair. You have to tell them a week in advance what your entree will be. To me, I'm not crazy about what they're offering. Last year it was a buffet. You know what my dessert was? Sweet potatoes and carrots! This year you get dinner and a dessert. Well, I would rather more veggies for the dessert, not what they want to give me. It just sounds too formal.

Sylvia - I'm glad they scanned the dog with two different scanners. He's lucky that you found him.

Mary - happy birthday!

Alison - so sorry about your godson.

Penny - welcome. Some people find that it helps them to set monthly goals, others (like me) don't find that particularly motivating. Trust me, there is no absolute "must do's" on this forum except for the must do of "try".

donna - big congrats on not getting into the candy. Depite a BIG bowl of popcorn, I still had one of the fun size candy bars. Oh well...I'll just comfort myself in that it wasn't a full sized candy bar. Lately, I've found that when I have a desire for something (like a candy bar) I'm more and more saying to myself "is it good for me?" Usually, if it isn't, I find that I'm choosing healthier foods.

Cynthia - that is so nice of you to take a backpack for their son!

Ming - welcome! You'll get lots of support here and some very good ideas that you might never have thought of.

Kim - have fun at Apple Hill

Sylvia - while I really like the fact that colder weather means no more mosquitoes, it also means that the stink bugs are trying to get in the house into the warmth. Happy birthday to your hubby! Liked your Model My Diet. LOL what said to grandma

njitaliana - congrats on the loss

Jayna - welcome! So sorry you've been thru so much

katla - I'm with you, how I wish we didn't turn the clocks back. Some states don't, why don't all the states????

Mary - welcome! Come in here when you can and before you know it, it'll be addicting and you'll find yourself coming every day.

jacqui - welcome.

Sue in SD and Cynthia - The other day I made these baked apples. Basically, it's 1/2 an apple, in the middle there is a combination of oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter. It was quite satisfying and, yes, not a whole lot of calories.

Cynthia - I let my bananas thaw first. In thawing there's usually some liquid from the ice and that helps it to mix up. Did you thaw the banana first? yea, granola can be high in calories and sometimes high in fat and sugar, too. I found that gala apples worked pretty well, they didn't get real mushy.

Liz - one of the reasons that Vince gets such enjoyment out of decorating for Halloween and Christmas is the joy that it brings the kids when they see the decorations. I had a couple of kids say to me last night "you have the best house" (not really) and "Wish I had a house like this"

Sylvia - I think Alison is right, Spot is yours and Bruno has a new friend

Lesley - woohoo on that loss! You've been working so hard, you deserve it

Joyce - I had to go to "Motivation and Support" then click on the star next to the October thread which made the star go back to being blank and then click on the star next to the November thread which made the star turn yellow. Then the one was out of my bookmarks and the other was in.

Going to work on some of my plastic canvas. I need to get that done before Christmas. Been putting it off long enough.

Michele in NC
  • TrishasTime
    TrishasTime Posts: 588 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hi everyone

My name is Trish and I have just started again. I live in sunny Western Australia, so in time wise we will probably not always sync. I am hoping to appear here every day - simply for accountability. I have looked at where I am snd where I want to be and have at last recognised I need to have and give support.

My first day yesterday did not go as well as I had hoped ( in fact the evening meal was a disaster. The redeeming feature is that I logged every piece of it, owned it, but more importantly have shared it with this group

November goals
    Write down every bite
    Planned exercised twice a week
    Walk at lunchtime 4 times a week
    Stick to my calorie plan
    November 2, 2014 8:35AM Flag Quote ·

Thanks for letting me share and be a part of this group

Trish
  • TrishasTime
    TrishasTime Posts: 588 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
  • Feistycat
    Feistycat Posts: 12,868 Member
    Options
    "We're not going to the Newcomer holiday party this year. Honestly, I don't feel like I'm missing a whole lot."

Exermom - thanks for your feedback. I just asked my husband if his Co. had made holiday plans, and he said, "Yeah, same as last year", which means some lunch on a Saturday afternoon in December. I think we're going to boycott.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,644 Member
    Options
    Penny – great goals….
    Robin – glad you had a good appointment, and you made it through the first few days back to work.

New gals- welcome!!!! Mary, Jacqui, Trish… and any I missed.
    Cat – good job on tucking in a walk before the storm

Katla – I bet the neighbors would like a hand made drawing from the girls..

Katla & Cynthia you said it perfect! Spot is from Sylvia’s neighborhood now!

Lesley – I am sure your doctor will be pleased with the weight loss, but are you? If I was losing as much as you are I would be jumping up and down! You should be so pleased and proud

Apple Hill was interesting; a nice day out with a friend, but a lot of driving for not much.... basically a bunch of small farmers markets, and a big craft fair divided up into chunks, so you drove from farm to farm here a few crafters there a few crafters... I had the best food choice I could find which was a cheeseburger; but better than apple pie, apple turnovers, apple donuts.... How ever we had fun and I walked about 15K steps.

November Goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png

• jmkmomm
    Options
    Thanks Michlle. I am correctly bookmarked now