Exercise Watching TV

Options
50sFit
50sFit Posts: 712 Member
edited November 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
The average person watches 5 hours of TV every day.
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/average-american-watches-5-hours-tv-day-article-1.1711954
OUCH!
I don't know how true this is, but we all probably watch a bunch every week. Answer for yourself. Anyway, when I am before the boob-tube, I get in some light exercise on a mini-trampoline with calisthenics during a commercial break. It beats just sitting there.
Any other creative ways to watch TV and sneak in some light training?

wmov4vo0old6.jpg
007.JPG 24.1K

Replies

• warriorguy
    Options
    I sit in a chair and bicycle my legs up and down....also, barbell up and downs.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I run on the spot or walk on the spot until the ad is over. And not past midnight.
  • 50sFit
    Options
    warriorguy wrote: »
    I sit in a chair and bicycle my legs up and down....also, barbell up and downs.
    That's good!
    Maybe those watching TV 5 hours should consider this... :)

• 50sFit
    Options
    I run on the spot or walk on the spot until the ad is over. And not past midnight.
    Right, if I train past 8pm, I am up walking the floors.

• Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I use a step board for step aerobics.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I march/jog in place until commercials. During commercial breaks, I pick a random exercise to do. Some examples:
    - shadow box
    - side planks
    - plank up/downs
    - banded side steps
    - squats (with weight)
    - calf raises (holding weight)
  • 50sFit
    Options
    Pohudet wrote: »
    I use a step board for step aerobics.
    Ah, my wife does this too. :)

• 50sFit
    Options
    I march/jog in place until commercials. During commercial breaks, I pick a random exercise to do. Some examples:
    - shadow box
    - side planks
    - plank up/downs
    - banded side steps
    - squats (with weight)
    - calf raises (holding weight)
    Yep, commercials are great - love them now!
    - When I was fat, that's when I'd make a food run to the kitchen.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Instead of sitting at my computer watching Netflix and livestreams, I walk while watching.
  • mjcrothers
    mjcrothers Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I get on my treadmill to watch my show. Started doing c25k on it whilst watching. Some of my best workouts include the tv
  • 50sFit
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Instead of sitting at my computer watching Netflix and livestreams, I walk while watching.
    I have a standing work station where that mini-trampoline fits nicely, but typing is a challenge...lol
    jh2l4a27oius.jpg

• QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I love walking and I love movies. I would like to get a treadmill early next year and set up a spot with a small tv. I could do both all day long if I could, haha.
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I have a TV hanging in front of my treadmill. I normally keep it on mute though with the closed caption on. Doesn't ever matter what's playing, I use it to help the time pass while I listen to music.....

It's only hooked to a simple antenna which only allows me to get 2 stations. Soon going to get a blue ray to connect to it for other uses which will allow me to stream Netflix if I want.
  • 50sFit
    edited November 2014
    Options
    QueenE_ wrote: »
    I love walking and I love movies. I would like to get a treadmill early next year and set up a spot with a small tv. I could do both all day long if I could, haha.
    It just seems like proper diet and some form of exercise in front of the TV could be the key to curing our nation's obesity crisis. The same average person watching 5 hours of TV will then say "I just don't have time for exercise".
    mjcrothers wrote: »
    I get on my treadmill to watch my show. Started doing c25k on it whilst watching. Some of my best workouts include the tv
    Same here; I still like to get out, but some days the weather is just horrible.
    That's when I make a way like this.

• 50sFit
    Options
    DM01234 wrote: »
    I have a TV hanging in front of my treadmill. I normally keep it on mute though with the closed caption on. Doesn't ever matter what's playing, I use it to help the time pass while I listen to music.....

It's only hooked to a simple antenna which only allows me to get 2 stations. Soon going to get a blue ray to connect to it for other uses which will allow me to stream Netflix if I want.
    That's good!
    Anything that gets us moving in a way that's enjoyable is a step in a positive direction.
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »
    http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/average-american-watches-5-hours-tv-day-article-1.1711954
    OUCH!
    I don't know how true this is, but we all probably watch a bunch every week. Answer for yourself. Anyway, when I am before the boob-tube, I get in some light exercise on a mini-trampoline with calisthenics during a commercial break. It beats just sitting there.

wmov4vo0old6.jpg

Good idea, but based on the pic you posted I am concerned that you could easily hit your head on the ceiling while using the trampoline!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I use a mini-stepper while watching tv a couple times per week. When I first bought it I could barely get through 2 minutes straight without huffing and puffing.

Then I put it away for a while and focused on walking for my cardio. I got stronger and was able to walk faster and go longer.

I brought it back out earlier this year and was surprised I could get through 15 minutes straight while carrying a conversation with an elevated heart rate.

Now I can easily get through an hour show (40 minutes fast forwarding through the credits and commercials.) I actually keep it right under my tv in the entertainment system and not in my home gym so whenever I'm watching tv it stares right at me. :)

I usually go in intervals like 2 minutes faster and 3 minutes slower and I intermittently use 5 lb weights and do exercises like curls, tricep push backs, overhead press and chest flies. Before I know it my workout is over!

It's a really great workout and replaced the unhealthy snacking I used to do in the past, plus doing both at the same time saves time.

I still do my walking as my main cardio, but my mini-stepper has been great to mix things up.

Edited to add: I also do bodyweight exercises like leg lifts, tricep dips, calf raises, push ups and planks etc. while watching tv.

• earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I work out on my mini-stepper or my trampoline, sometimes lift weights while watching TV.
  • 50sFit
    edited November 2014
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »
    OUCH!

wmov4vo0old6.jpg

Good idea, but based on the pic you posted I am concerned that you could easily hit your head on the ceiling while using the trampoline!
    haha - no, my work is more of a slow jog which beats sitting.
    And hitting my head might mess up my hair.....

• XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX
    Options
    I have a HRM I pick a show and jog in place or do my stepper during the whole show. Its an easy way to burn 200-300 calories.