Does anyone else struggle with bran flakes?!

Options
I am away with the family and they have porridge and bra flakes. I seem to be struggling with boot bingeing on these foods, yet they are so healthy, but one bowl and I want more (four bowls of bra flakes and two bowls of porridge for breakfast today! I'm the same with bread ... Worse than any other foods, but how bizarre). Oh well, just curious as to know if anyone else can't have one bowl of cereal, even healthy cereal

Replies

• onmyown70
    onmyown70 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Apologies for all the typos folks, I'm using an iPhone and that combined with poor typing skills and intermittent Internet connection is proving problematic! I think my message is clear though, what is alien to my family is even healthy stuff I have hedonistic tendencies, I would say my craving to eat loads of cereals is as strong as normal folk with cake...
  • Juliarosemary66
    Juliarosemary66 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I love fruit and fibre bran flakes and i could eat bowls of the stuff! What i do now is weigh it out and have it with very low fat greek yogurt and strawberries followed by a hot drink. I also use a small spoon to eat it as it takes longer to eat. Hope this helps.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue - if cereal is the breakfast on a holiday or family visit, I drink a large glass of water before and after, and drink a lot of coffee. Otherwise I eat too much.
  • onmyown70
    Options
    This is useful! Thank you. I noticed if I cut my sandwich up mid afternoon and have a long hot drink afterwards I can do moderation, but then I don't give myself the option, I only buy one sandwich! I think your idea is great, however, I feel like the greedy me may just dive in and et handfuls when I'm feeling in the mood- discipline! It's odd though, isn't it, that compulsion to eat loads of what seems such a healthy food and what my husbands health conscious brother forces himself to eat, yet I can eat a whole packet!
  • princessinnocentknickers
    Options
    you find it so hard not to binge on it because bran flakes (like the majority of breakfast cereals) are loaded down with sugar. it's usually the third or fourth ingredient on the boxes I see in supermarkets
  • jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Ha ha I also have the same problem :P I find that if I set my limit a little higher than the recommended amount, (it recommends 40 grams but I always put mine at 60 grams), then I am more likely to stay fuller longer and not eat other things :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Porridge I force myself to have the small oat so simple sachets and after a while they seem enough

Bran flakes ..yes I would have the same problem and make sure I weigh it ....and a regular serving is bloody tiny :disappointed:
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Yep, cereal is my nemesis, lol. Many a time I have easily munched my way through a box by way of 3-4 large bowls of the stuff. It was always fruit and fibre for me or muesli.
  • bbg_daryl
    bbg_daryl Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Carbs are hard to resist, especially when they have lots of sugar and are squishy (like warm oatmeal or soggy cereal). They're comfort foods for sure. Maybe you could offer to make breakfast for the family? Under the guise of being kind, you could arrange yourself healthier mornings of eggs, toast, and fruits.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Carbs and sugar, what's not to love? Try drinking water first, have your bowl, then walk around a bit prior to deciding on that second one.
  • farberry
    farberry Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Make your porridge with water, and pretty runny. I can have 30 grams of oats like this and it fills me up easily till lunch. Also if you make your porridge on the hob the temptation to have another bowl may be reduced as washing up pans is such a hassle.
    I don't eat cereal any more, so that's how I avoid that issue!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    onmyown70 wrote: »
    I am away with the family and they have porridge and bra flakes. I seem to be struggling with boot bingeing on these foods, yet they are so healthy, but one bowl and I want more (four bowls of bra flakes and two bowls of porridge for breakfast today! I'm the same with bread ... Worse than any other foods, but how bizarre). Oh well, just curious as to know if anyone else can't have one bowl of cereal, even healthy cereal

I will personally overeat pretty quickly on most grain-based foods. I'm like you with bread and things like that.

My solution is generally not to buy the stuff and eat other things, saving grain-based foods for when I socialize or holidays. (Interestingly enough, I don't go overboard even on chocolate like I do on breads and cereals, so while I did enjoy some candy on Halloween, it wasn't outrageous)

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Can you ask your family if you can pick up some eggs and fruit and yogurt, or something you can eat for breakfast without bingeing on? Six bowls is a lot. And cereal is not all that healthy, especially if it makes you binge. Or if you're in a hotel, even a protein bar would be better and pre-portioned.

Good luck!
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    you find it so hard not to binge on it because bran flakes (like the majority of breakfast cereals) are loaded down with sugar. it's usually the third or fourth ingredient on the boxes I see in supermarkets

This
    and if you are not cooking oats from scratch and having those commercial mixes they will be too
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Maybe eat some protein foods along with your cereal.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    No. I have never struggled with bran flakes. I struggle with life and pizza.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    No. Crunch Berries might be a struggle, but I can have a bowl of Raisin Bran and be perfectly content.

I always have something else with my cereal, though - usually fruit, sometimes a granola or fiber bar. Cereal alone would probably not be very filling.
  • onmyown70
    Options
    To be honest I just think there are two weeks of the month all carbs are a danger zone (I haven't been restricting or intentionally avoiding carbs- I buy portions or a ready made sandwich each day (false economy for me to buy a loaf!) but it's just the madness of such healthy foods seeming irresiatable, it's just that mmmm feeling, I want more. Like someone else pointed out though, those flakes are full of sugar. It was like the bread in Europe, (bread has always been a nemesis) but hugely so on holiday, tunes out they add sugar to their bread.

I like the idea of making everyone eggs for breakfast! I was fine until we started havibg cereal...! I think also having time on our hands and breakfast doesn't take place until everyone is up and my little one and I are always up first.

I do realise how ridiculous I am, and highly peivilidged to be around auch great people. Feel a little ashamed my head just wants to be stuck In a packet of cereal. The most bizarre thing was all day I was looking for more food! So it didn't satisfy but made my appetite worse! Plus looked at the diary and two days off my tom .... I need strategy guys. This stuff is my heroin my drug of choice
  • onmyown70
    Options
    Can you ask your family if you can pick up some eggs and fruit and yogurt, or something you can eat for breakfast without bingeing on? Six bowls is a lot. And cereal is not all that healthy, especially if it makes you binge. Or if you're in a hotel, even a protein bar would be better and pre-portioned.

Good luck!

Useful :-) thanks. Cereal and bread, my two key things I struggle with. Don't ask me why, I get the sugar thing but I can binge on porridge at certain times. Branflakes, I have recently found, are worse than any chocolate bar I have ever had, in triggering a binge. Don't ask me why! It's generally cereals, I should imagine I would be like that with cake but most people avoid cake in large doses so that seems more normal!

• nomoredoughnuts
    nomoredoughnuts Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Cereal is my worst enemy. That's why I never buy it. But bran flakes are yummy and healthy so If I have them I have a bowl and put the box back in the cupboard.

I had days I would eat a whole box of cereal to the point I would feel sick. It's my worst binge-trigger and I am being totally serious. I find it easier to stop with ice cream than cereal.