Very little energy, even after increasing calories

Options
So a little background: I'm currently recovering from anorexia. About a month ago I increased my calorie count to 1000, about 2 weeks ago I raised it to 1200, for the last week I've been trying to reach 1500, and today I raised my goal to
I have cut back significantly on my workouts, now I do stronglifts 5x5 3x a week, one TRX class a week, and one spin class a week.

My problem is I feel absolutely stuffed eating this much food and it requires a lot of planning for me to get myself up to those calorie counts. I'm starting to feel a little discouraged because despite eating more I still feel very tired and drained. I'm not eating many refined sugars or carbs. I just feel like I have no energy by about 1:00.

Any tips, advice? Are my macros okay? Should I be eating more still? Any foods that'll boost my energy (I thought fruit might do the trick, but it hasn't seemed to make any difference)

I'm 5'1, 96 lbs and trying to put on weight by building muscle.

Replies

• bloodlett
    bloodlett Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    carbs are used by the body for fuel if your carb intake is bad carbs then you could feel sluggish i get my carbs from fresh fruit and raw vegies and if your body is growing muscle it needs protein greek yogurt has a lot of protein bottom line the cleaner the fuel you put in the body the more efficient your body burns it and dont forget water lots of water 1 gallon or more per day stay away from anything processed
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    bloodlett wrote: »
    carbs are used by the body for fuel if your carb intake is bad carbs then you could feel sluggish i get my carbs from fresh fruit and raw vegies and if your body is growing muscle it needs protein greek yogurt has a lot of protein bottom line the cleaner the fuel you put in the body the more efficient your body burns it and dont forget water lots of water 1 gallon or more per day stay away from anything processed

Why should people be drinking 3.8 liters or more of water a day? What do you base that on?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Ditch the low fat/fat free foods and eat the full fat versions. More calories, more energy, same volume of food.

Also, speak with your doctor and/or therapist and get a referral to work with a dietician. You say you're trying to build muscle, but your body is still recovering from anorexia and your calorie needs are going to be different than those of the average person. You may need to eat more calories than the regular equations calculate.

You also might want to have them look over your food diary at the types of food you are eating and discuss whether there is a cause for concern that the restricting behaviors associated with anorexia are not manifesting themselves in food choices.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I agree, it would be great if you could get some input from a registered dietician.
    I looked at your diary. You can add some extra virgin olive oil to your chicken, fish and veggies along with your spices. The oil helps your body absorb the nutrients in your food especially the veggies.
    It will give you more energy. Your body really needs the fats!
    You can use whole fat dairy products like yogurt and cottage cheese. Do you like peanut or other nut butters?
    Perhaps have your blood tested for anemia. That could also add to your feelings of low energy.
    I'm always slightly anemic and a sub-lingual (under the tongue) B12 tablet helps me.
    Can you add some beef to your diet once a week? That may also help.
  • tachikata
    tachikata Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    First of all well done and congratulations for starting your journey back to recovery. Looking at your diary your diet itself looks pretty good and solid. I think for the time frame of a month, you may be making changes to your calorie intake may be a tad too fast for your body to get used to. I remember when I increased my calorie intake gradually by 500 to gain weight it took months too get used to before the bloating and exhausted feeling from digestion subsided. Personally I think it's easier on the body when making steady small changes consistently over a longer period so the body gets used to it as opposed to like say * bang* suddenly I'm on a 5000 calorie diet and running 50 miles a day as an exaggerated example, your body will just be shocked into fatigue. Maybe rather than changing your calorie intake every week or fortnight, up it it after a month or 2 or when you feel your body has gotten used to eating more food and doing more exercise than it's used to.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Did you get tested for low iron and vitamins deficiency? I would maybe add more carbs to see if it help. When I do strenght training I make sure to eat a bagle 1;30 hour before and it really make a difference on my energy level
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    If you are not eating many sugars or carbs, are you eating more fat. You need to either eat carbs or fat for energy. Its probable that you need to eat more energy food. I am not recommending refined carb foods though or junk food. I recommend continuing to eat healthy food. When you cook use cold pressed extra virgin olive oil and add a little more than usual or eat more whole grain carbs as well as plenty of vegies, chickpeas, lentils and beans. Also more fruit. More unsweetenend yoghurt, milk and cheese. And nuts and seeds.

High fat foods are easier to eat more of because they are lower in volume for the calories.

Continue to avoid most processed foods.

There are other reasons for lack of energy, but presumably your blood tests have been done recently. You may need antidepressants because low seratonin can leave you lethargic too. low functioning thyroid makes you lethargic as do feeling run down or if you are carrying a virus around.

But the most likely explanation with you i think is lack of energy food and low mood.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    You might ask your doctor to run some tests and see if your Iron/Vitamin D and other vitamins etc are low.

My family physician told me that most white/Caucasian people tend to have low vitamin D levels that can cause fatigue. Taking a Vitamin D3 prescribed by my doctor along with a daily women's vitamin has helped a lot. As soon as I stopped taking them over vacation my energy dropped again so I know they are helping.

Also stress can contribute to fatigue. Maybe practice some meditation for 10-15 mins a day?

P.S. congrats on taking steps to improve your health. Sounds like you are on the right track. We're here to cheer you on! :)
  • tachikata
    tachikata Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    But again yes that's my opinion, it's a good idea to see a registered dietician.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I'm not a nutritionist, and don't even play one on TV, but my very first thought was to check your B vitamins, which are broadly linked to energy.

Whether a food is 'processed' or not, the caloric, micronutrient, and macronutrient content of your diet will generally be the largest factor in how much energy is derived from it.

Congratulations on your success thus far in combating your ED.
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D! Unless you live near the equator, at this time of year, the sun isn't strong enough to help your body produce vitamin D. This vitamin helps with energy, depression and your immune system. You can get a bottle of 90 pills for 12$ at the drugstore. You can take around 2000 IU a day to give your body a kick in the but! Worked wonders for me! (This was recommended to me by a nutritionist)
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Ask your doc to run a B-12, Vt D and also check your glucose levels.....after looking at your diary I would probably up the protein a bit if possible and lower the carbs by 80 grams or so per day...Good luck..
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Promoting the idea of good vs bad foods to someone with an ED probably isn't a good idea.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Doctor
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Promoting the idea of good vs bad foods to someone with an ED probably isn't a good idea.

Agreed.

And I applaud you OP for your efforts in recovery, but I would also suggest that you work with a dietician or therapist in order to create a plan to continue moving forward.
  • 100andOnward
    100andOnward Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on starting towards recovery! I'm also not a dietitian, doctor, or therapist, and I STRONGLY recommend seeing them.

From a quick review of your diary, I'd say after calling your doc and checking with a dietitian, 1) give it a few more days, if it's only been 2 weeks, your body may still be adjusting. It takes some time. Also 2) add more fat. Avocados are great, as are coconut oil, olive oil on cooked veggies, even butter or ghee. It looks like you might not be getting enough water, as well.

Best of luck to you!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Thank you.

OP - how long have you been in recovery? People recovering from an ED usually have to eat way more calories through recovery than you are eating right now. Have you spoken with a doctor that specializes in ED recovery? I would highly recommend speaking with an expert. No one here qualified to tell you want you should and shouldn't be eating.

I will say this - when I was in recovery it was far more important that I focus on eating and working through my mental state, then tracking calories on a calorie counter. You can't solely put on muscle weight, either. You need to just put on weight, period. The muscle part will work itself out when you are healthy and appropriately active for your stage of recovery.
  • d6melanie
    d6melanie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone saying it's a good idea to check with your doctor in case it's related to your healing process. However, from my own personal experience I can say when I feel sluggish in the afternoon there are usually one of two culprits, and your diary suggests it could be either one.
    1. I'm eating too much sugar (of any kind, even fruit,) especially on an empty stomach. An example for me would be combining coffee and and a banana on an empty stomach or working out within an hour of eating just fruit. If I were to have coffee and whole eggs on an empty stomach I would be fine.
    2. I'm not eating enough fat. Whole eggs, Coconut oil, Avocado, a handful of cashews/pecans, walnuts, etc...

If the issue is just lack of energy due to micro/macro body needs then trying one of those two things may help. But it might be part of your healing process and your doctor will be able to pinpoint it more effectively.