Calories burned using a golf cart

Options
My daughter says the "Golf with power cart" option is not the same as using a riding golf cart. If this is the case then does anybody know the average amount of calories burned when golfing with a riding cart?

Thanks,
Mike

Replies

• bshea61
    Options
    About 850 depending on current weight.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    If you're not wearing a heart rate monitor it's going to be one huge guess.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Probably depends how much beer is in the cart, too.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Most calories burnt off on the first 18 holes are gained back on the 19th.

I have no idea, though. Walk! It's good for you! :)
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I wear a hr monitor and average around 800-900. I find I don't get as much exercise when riding in a cart because you are sitting most of the time... you get much more exercise when walking.

8931969.png
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Maybe it would help if you leaped enthusiastically from the cart and sprinted to the ball each time...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    trekr200 wrote: »
    My daughter says the "Golf with power cart" option is not the same as using a riding golf cart. If this is the case then does anybody know the average amount of calories burned when golfing with a riding cart?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Probably looking at 1000 to 1500 calories per hour when riding in the cart. More when you are swinging the clubs.

ETA - in case not clear, you don't get a lot of caloric burn from sitting on your back 40.
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    noexcusesjustresults2014 Posts: 212 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I don't understand golf carts (unless you are disabled). If you can afford one, you can afford a caddy instead. If your focus is on burning calories, forget the cart and carry your own clubs.
  • mr_pedalling
    mr_pedalling Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If your focus is on burning calories, forget the cart and carry your own clubs.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Thanks,
    Mike
    Probably looking at 1000 to 1500 calories per hour when riding in the cart.

just no.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Probably zero.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I don't know why riding a golf cart or riding a rider mower are even exercise options in the database here. It's just sitting-- so no difference calorie-wise between riding a little machine and sitting on one's rear end anywhere else. The only thing a person could log as exercise during golf would be the time spent walking.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Thanks,
    Mike

Is this a typo? I don't think I'd burn 1000-1500 cals an hour if I was being chased by a pack of wild dogs through a ravine whilst piggy-backing a small burro...

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Most likely you are not going to have a steady heart rate during it, so a HRM would at best make a guess at what you burned.

I would view "golfing in golf cart" in the same way as logging cleaning on this website, or cooking. It's not worth trying to log activities that are going to have a negligible dent into your exercise goals, and especially ones that may not elevate your heart rate enough to even give you an accurate guess. Yes, they can get strenuous, but you don't want to be grasping straws trying to log everything that *may* count as exercise, since you may not be accurately logging your exercise.

I would say just go to the golf course, enjoy the game, and don't sweat trying to figure out the calories burned for it.
  • dbmata
    Options

Thanks,
    Mike

Is this a typo? I don't think I'd burn 1000-1500 cals an hour if I was being chased by a pack of wild dogs through a ravine whilst piggy-backing a small burro...
    No, I'm being sarcastic.

There is absolutely zero burn over basal, since you're seriously sitting on your duff not moving.
  • Alatariel75
    Options

Thanks,
    Mike

No, I'm being sarcastic.

There is absolutely zero burn over basal, since you're seriously sitting on your duff not moving.

LOL, Monday morning sarcasm detector fail..

I wonder how many calories I really would burn piggy-backing a small burro...
  • dbmata
    Options
    fyi, I read piggy as bare.

I was like... uh, what?
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Holy zombie post, Batman! This "thread" from 2011 had no replies, until someone posted one yesterday. What led to that?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    Holy zombie post, Batman! This "thread" from 2011 had no replies, until someone posted one yesterday. What led to that?

.....Foiled again.
    Really have to check those dates.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »

.....Foiled again.
    Really have to check those dates.

Dammit.