Anyone tried these? Sound strange but look good. :)

jnv7594
jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
edited November 2014 in Recipes
Grain free peanut butter and chocolate chip cookie dough bites made with chickpeas. I have yet to be brave enough to try them, but they look really good. Has anyone here tried them with good results? I just posted the link rather than typing the whole recipe out, plus there are yummy looking pictures.

http://www.texanerin.com/2012/04/grain-free-peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-cookie-dough-bites.html

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    I find it insulting you'd link to a recipe in which the author is clearly trying to deceive her readers and thus you are trying to deceive users at this site as well.

"Chickpea cookies with no flour, no oil, no white sugar."

"Ingredients

1¼ cups canned chickpeas, well-rinsed and patted dry with a paper towel1
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    ½ cup + 2 tablespoons (165 grams) natural peanut butter, SunButter Natural or almond butter - room temperature 2
    ¼ cup (80 grams) honey (commenters have used agave and maple syrup with success!)
    1 teaspoon baking powder3
    a pinch of salt if your peanut butter doesn't have salt in it
    ½ cup (90 grams) chocolate chips (use vegan and dairy-free chocolate chips, if needed)"

Natty peanut butter has no oil? Honey contains no sucrose? Chocolate chips also contain no sucrose? She basically lies right off the bat.
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Sounds good, but I haven't tried them. I think the no added sugar bit means no refined sugar. The no oil probably means no shortning, lard, etc. The oil in the peanuts is actually healthy oil, a monounsaturated fat (mufa). It helps you feel more full, and research shows that these kinds of fats help lower bad cholesterol. Even the chocolate, if you use dark chocolate, has health benefits with antioxidents and good, mufas also. There probably is some refined sugar in the chocolate though.
  • jnv7594
    Thanks peacehawk. I may give them a try. I just haven't been able to stomach the idea of chickpeas with chocolate, lol. But who knows...might taste good. They've gotten good reviews anyway. I was going to try them with some dark chocolate...I usually like ultra dark chocolate anyway. I was just curious if anyone tried them and how they turned out. Anyway, have a nice day peacehawk, and thanks for the response.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    inb4 I hope Acg is just joking/trolling! omg haha.

I've made chickpea cookies before and they actually turned out pretty good, I'll try 'em again sometime with this recipe. Thanks!
  • ladystorm282001
    ladystorm282001 Posts: 4 Member
    Sounds weird but could be good..lol.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    FWIW, they sound good, but ACG has a point. There is oil...just no ADDED oil. There is some sort of sugar...just not WHITE sugar. It isn't as healthful as the blogger made it sound, but who cares? They still sound yummy.

Along that same vein are the black bean brownies I tried several months back. They were SO good, and no one at work knew there was anything "up." :-)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    It is somewhat misleading, and really necessary unless you have an allergy or prefer the taste. Grains, sugars, and oils are all perfectly healthy in moderation.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    edited November 2014

"Please read the following before asking a question! It will probably answer your question.

Tons of people have posted the nutritional analysis for these. They’re supposedly anywhere between 80-130 calories, which seems like a huge range to me. Please use a recipe analyzer like on CalorieCount if you need more information.
    You can use almond butter, sun butter, or whatever nut butter like you.
    The peanut butter should be the kind with only peanuts and salt. No added fat or sugar. Be careful because there are some “natural” brands out there which aren’t really natural. I find that this peanut butter is usually expensive so I make my own. You can make your own in only 5 minutes with a food processor. Check that out here.
    Chickpea flour won’t work. I don’t think plain hummus will either.
    I haven’t tried anything other than chickpeas but others have used butter beans, navy beans, red kidney beans, great northern beans, and lentils with success. I generally don’t like goodies made with those types of beans but I love these cookies made with chickpeas. Please use chickpeas unless you have an allergy!
    Doing this in a blender (unless it’s a Blendtec blender or something equally powerful) won’t work and might kill the blender.
    Adding random stuff like eggs… probably won’t work either. ;) Experimenting is great but I think this is a bad recipe to experiment with. But thanks to the experimenters who left feedback, I’ve been able to update the recipe with alternatives to honey and peanut butter. Thanks everyone!
    For a totally sugar free version, use 30 drops of Stevia and cacao nibs.
    Do not double the recipe! It might be too much for your machine and could damage it.
    For a vegan version, you can’t use honey. Use agave.
    For a dairy-free version, use Enjoy Life chocolate chips. They’re just as delicious as regular chocolate chips. SO good!"
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    "Please read the following before asking a question! It will probably answer your question.

Tons of people have posted the nutritional analysis for these. They’re supposedly anywhere between 80-130 calories, which seems like a huge range to me. Please use a recipe analyzer like on CalorieCount if you need more information.
    The peanut butter should be the kind with only peanuts and salt. No added fat or sugar. Be careful because there are some “natural” brands out there which aren’t really natural. I find that this peanut butter is usually expensive so I make my own. You can make your own in only 5 minutes with a food processor. Check that out here.
    I haven’t tried anything other than chickpeas but others have used butter beans, navy beans, red kidney beans, great northern beans, and lentils with success. I generally don’t like goodies made with those types of beans but I love these cookies made with chickpeas. Please use chickpeas unless you have an allergy!
    Doing this in a blender (unless it’s a Blendtec blender or something equally powerful) won’t work and might kill the blender.
    Adding random stuff like eggs… probably won’t work either. ;) Experimenting is great but I think this is a bad recipe to experiment with. But thanks to the experimenters who left feedback, I’ve been able to update the recipe with alternatives to honey and peanut butter. Thanks everyone!
    Do not double the recipe! It might be too much for your machine and could damage it.
    For a dairy-free version, use Enjoy Life chocolate chips. They’re just as delicious as regular chocolate chips. SO good!"

because we all know that once you "add fat and sugar" they immediately become "bad" even though peanut butter already has fat and sugar in it…

*facepalm*
  • ndj1979
    and thanks but I will just eat real cookies and fit them into my calorie and macro allowance
  • KameHameHaaaa

I've made chickpea cookies before and they actually turned out pretty good, I'll try 'em again sometime with this recipe. Thanks!

these cookies look yuck...I'll stick to the real things and make them fit into my daily calories...

I liked the ones I tried :) But to each their own. I eat -ALL- the foodz, including substitutions simply cuz I like the creativity of it.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    ndj1979 wrote: »

because we all know that once you "add fat and sugar" they immediately become "bad" even though peanut butter already has fat and sugar in it…

*facepalm*

Just like to point out I never personally said fat, sugar, oil etc was bad. Just quoting the article for the people who only read the headline and called foul because in most peanut butters they add oil. That is all. :)

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 wrote: »

*facepalm*

Just like to point out I never personally said fat, sugar, oil etc was bad. Just quoting the article for the people who only read the headline and called foul because in most peanut butters they add oil. That is all. :)

sorry, was just pointing out the idiocy of the article…:)
  • jnv7594
    edited November 2014
    Don't get me wrong. I still eat regular cookies. Heck, I had a full sized Snickers bar yesterday and just fit it in my calories. But I have a daughter with allergies and a friend with allergies that I thought might like these, and I wondered what they tasted like myself as well. It's more curiosity than anything, and maybe something my daughter might enjoy. I was going to try them with dark chocolate because that would be my preference, but I would probably make them with milk chocolate for her. I never said anything was good or bad about the ingredients, nor did I even claim these were a healthier or better choice. People seriously need to chill out, lol. ALL I asked was if anyone had tried them.
  • jnv7594

Acg is stalking me because he got all shook up about something I said in another thread. Just ignore him...I am. He's trying to get under my skin, but little does he know, I couldn't give two craps what he thinks, lol.