Under on Protein and Potassium...please advise

Options
Hi
I' ve been on MFP for 3 weeks now and while I stay below my calories and am beginning to really get a handle on my sodium, I can't seem to ingest enough protein or potassium. I do eat chicken and greek yogurt and add kidney beans and cannelli beans to my diet but it's still not enough. I also eat a lot of fruit so I am always over on my sugar. I'm doing the C25K program and strength training three times a week. I am lactose intolerant so it's hard to turn to dairy. Any advice on how to consume more protein and potassium would be very much appreciated!!!

Replies

• shaun603
    Options
    Eggs and bananas :)
  • trungalung
    Options
    Almond butter...with everything!
  • jedwardsau
    jedwardsau Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Salmon :)
  • LilyOfTheValley008
    Options
    For potassium, do you eat spinach? I add a bit to everything and it's way higher in potassium than an equivalent amount of bananas.
  • 999peanut
    Options
    for potassium, check here... I hate bananas and it was the one thing I was constantly told to eat - so checked and found other foods with higher content that I like... I factor in a few dried apricots to my daily intake..also not showing on the list is tomatoes.. they also are a good source

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php

for protein you could add a few nuts
    http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-highest-in-protein.php

• dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    spanorchid wrote: »
    Hi
    I' ve been on MFP for 3 weeks now and while I stay below my calories and am beginning to really get a handle on my sodium, I can't seem to ingest enough protein or potassium. I do eat chicken and greek yogurt and add kidney beans and cannelli beans to my diet but it's still not enough. I also eat a lot of fruit so I am always over on my sugar. I'm doing the C25K program and strength training three times a week. I am lactose intolerant so it's hard to turn to dairy. Any advice on how to consume more protein and potassium would be very much appreciated!!!

I read on here before that you could be eating a decent amount of potassium & not know it since it's not technically not required on food labels.

• ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    dunnodunno wrote: »
    Hi

I read on here before that you could be eating a decent amount of potassium & not know it since it's not technically not required on food labels.

This^^^ potassium is not required on US food labels, so unless you have blood work showing a deficiency you are prob fine!
  • spanorchid
    Options
    Ok. Thanks. I'll check out the websites too!
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    dunnodunno wrote: »
    Hi

This^^^ potassium is not required on US food labels, so unless you have blood work showing a deficiency you are prob fine!
    Yes this is true about potassium.

For protein try upping your serving size on meat or seafood portions, can tuna, quinoa, protein shakes/bars, eggs, and lentils. Maybe add a protein powder (whey isolate) to your greek yogurt. Its pretty good.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Sodium is required on food nutrition labels because of so many people that have diseases that are affected by it. Also, sodium can be a minor culprit in making people obese, as it is usually associated with foods that have preservatives and foods that people develop habits of overeating on. Na is a preservative in itself- it kept the soldiers alive in the world wars. A serving of SPAM has 730mg of sodium.....there are 6 serving in each can. I am pretty sure they didn't leave any in the can.

Sodium is a vital micronutrient, as it is what is responsible for your muscles moving. Potassium regulates water intake and expenditure, as well as heart rhythm. It is just as important as sodium, as neither are nutrients the body can produce on its own. But a lack of potassium won't kill too many people too quickly; neither will an abundance. But an abundance of sodium will kill the right people, and everyone will feel the effects of too little; it is the main electrolyte in muscle activity and the main ingredient to watch in people with high BP. That is why they put it on there.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are one of the highest sources of potassium there is. So meat and potatoes should do the trick.
  • spanorchid
    Options
    I consumed my protein goal today. Thank you for all your help. I know I've made a lot of big changes in the last four weeks. I'm now physically active 6 days a week. I've cut out fast food and soda and am down to one cup of coffee a day. I feel great! I want to make sure I'm properly fueling my body so I can continue to make progress.