Goodbye veganism....

Options
I've been vegan for 8 months and just yesterday decided to give it up. I loved it for so long but for the past few weeks, meat and all other animal products have started to look extremely good. My body was craving other protein sources besides beans, soy, nuts, and carb-rich foods. It was a tough choice to make and it still feels "wrong" eating animals...but I'm so happy and feel so free. Anyone else make the switch back to being an omnivore? What was your reasoning?

Replies

• SuninVirgo
    SuninVirgo Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Good for you!
  • vlheureux
    Options
    Good for you! I'm a vegetarian and a sort of vegan (I won't eat Dairy unless it's cooked into something). I've been this way since I was seven; I never liked meat, but when my parents divorced and my dad moved out, I was left with my vegetarian mother who didn't force me to eat the meat.

I do it because I can't stomach it. I even smell meat and I puke from the thoughts of death I get. It's terrible.

But, good for you for following your choices. I wish I could!
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'm glad I have support. I was worried that other vegans might bash me for going back, but so far I've received nothing but positive comments. My family and friends are stoked that I can cook meals with them again, haha
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with wanting and craving to eat meat. You can still enjoy the health benefits of a mostly plant diet while still eating a little bit of meat every now and then. That's what I do!! I eat 80% plants and the rest is mostly cheese, yogurt, and fish/seafood, some chicken and red meat is eaten sparingly.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but I admire their principles and cheer them on.

You can sit in the bleachers with me. ;)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    kellyb28 wrote: »
    I've been vegan for 8 months and just yesterday decided to give it up. I loved it for so long but for the past few weeks, meat and all other animal products have started to look extremely good. My body was craving other protein sources besides beans, soy, nuts, and carb-rich foods. It was a tough choice to make and it still feels "wrong" eating animals...but I'm so happy and feel so free. Anyone else make the switch back to being an omnivore? What was your reasoning?

Good for you, that's an excellent decision.

What you eat should never be approached as a journey through a fun house of fear and ridiculousness. Congrats.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Good for you. :) I think animal welfare is very important, but I do not think the vegetarian or vegan lifestyles are for everyone. For some, it can lead to an unhealthy obsession with food. Some may even lose sight of the original reason for switching to being vegan or vegetarian. Then others simply struggle giving up meat.

I was vegetarian for a really long time. My biggest problems came in the form of disordered eating (that would later develop into an eating disorder, and actually probably could have been defined as orthorexic at the time). While initially, I took on the vegetarian diet for the moral purposes, it became ingrained in health reasons, too. Ironically, my health suffered because of this (I was donating plasma regularly at the time, as I progressed into vegetarianism, I was rejected more and more for having low protein and blood pressure levels). So, I switched back to eating meat. That and my income level is part of what makes a healthy vegetarian diet sustainable. And as much as I'd love to grow food, it isn't a possibility for me at the moment.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Swiftlet66 wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with wanting and craving to eat meat. You can still enjoy the health benefits of a mostly plant diet while still eating a little bit of meat every now and then. That's what I do!! I eat 80% plants and the rest is mostly cheese, yogurt, and fish/seafood, some chicken and red meat is eaten sparingly.

This sounds right.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Your body does not crave protein from other sources if you have a balanced diet. You feel it's wrong to eat animals but you decide to even though it's perfectly easy to get all nutrition from non animal sources. Sounds like a bunch of excuses to me. If your morally happy to eat meat (which you obviously are because you are now ) admit don't try and make woolly excuses about your body craving things as it's just nonsense.

Stand behind your decision if you believe its right don't make stupid excuses to try and justify them. Veganism is about compassion and non violence so if you've decided you don't agree with that that is your prerogative but please don't reinforce silly stereotypes about craving meat

What I don't get is why make a public forum post which is just about excuses? If you wish to eat animal products fine but it sounds like your trying to convince yourself its the right thing and get lots of other people to agree with you so you can feel better about it
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    _Zardoz_ wrote: »

Your body does not crave protein from other sources if you have a balanced diet. You feel it's wrong to eat animals but you decide to even though it's perfectly easy to get all nutrition from non animal sources. Sounds like a bunch of excuses to me. If your morally happy to eat meat (which you obviously are because you are now ) admit don't try and make woolly excuses about your body craving things as it's just nonsense.

Stand behind your decision if you believe its right don't make stupid excuses to try and justify them. Veganism is about compassion and non violence so if you've decided you don't agree with that that is your prerogative but please don't reinforce silly stereotypes about craving meat

What I don't get is why make a public forum post which is just about excuses? If you wish to eat animal products fine but it sounds like your trying to convince yourself its the right thing and get lots of other people to agree with you so you can feel better about it

You sound mad, bro. Are you mad?

Indeedlioni neighbor - indeedlioni!

OP - welcome back - bacon feast on me tonight!!
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options

I'm an omnivore and have never had the slightest wish to become a vegitarian or vegan, and I felt much the same way as zardoz.

If I were a vegan, I would be irritated at someone blaming their inability to stick to a way of eating on some craving that their "body" had! If someone wants meat that's fine and they should eat and enjoy (I do), but take ownership of your desires and choices, don't blame it on some "body need" that is out of your control.

Blaming this change on anything other than a choice to enjoy meat again is a slap in the face to those who do follow the vegan way of eating. It hints that this is somehow something that is wrong for the body (since the "body" is what was craving meat)

Op just take ownership of your choice and leave the excuses out of it.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options

Me thinks he is!! I remember I joined a vegetarian/vegan 'meet-up' group and OMG...I sure met many people attending extremely passionate about not consuming animal products - not just passionate, but on crusades to change people to their cause. Frankly, some of them scared me a little...
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

I'm an omnivore and have never had the slightest wish to become a vegitarian or vegan, and I felt much the same way as zardoz.

If I were a vegan, I would be irritated at someone blaming their inability to stick to a way of eating on some craving that their "body" had! If someone wants meat that's fine and they should eat and enjoy (I do), but take ownership of your desires and choices, don't blame it on some "body need" that is out of your control.

Blaming this change on anything other than a choice to enjoy meat again is a slap in the face to those who do follow the vegan way of eating. It hints that this is somehow something that is wrong for the body (since the "body" is what was craving meat)

Op just take ownership of your choice and leave the excuses out of it.
    Agreed. It reminds me of the sugar haters that give in to a Snickers bar and equate it to a crystal meth addiction.

• BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    PLEASE don't admonish the OP for saying what she feels because of some oversensitive Vegan. OP is talking about her health, which this site is closely targeting. Zardoz is talking a social choice.

For your health, could it be that:

Everyone should be Vegan for at least part of the year.
    Everyone should be in Ketosis for part of the year
    Everyone should be an Omnivore for part of the year.

• daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Like any sort of commitment - take weight loss, for example - it's fun and new at the beginning, but once the novelty wears off, it gets harder. When I get "back on the wagon", woah, I'm not even hungry eating under my calorie goal! Let's get up early and run! This is easy! Give it a few weeks though, oh man, my body is really "craving" a few more hours under the covers and half a jar of crunchy peanut butter.

OP, I've been a vegan for a long time, and I share your feeling of meat and other animal products looking really, really good. But you note that eating animals still "feels wrong" - is it possible you were just getting bored with your food choices? Man cannot live on tofu scramble and Boca burgers alone - there are so many amazing vegan recipes that could put the spark back into your relationship with plant-based proteins.

The thing about ethical veganism is that we have seen how meat and animal products are produced and, at some point, decided that they were not something we could support. Like any big commitment - weight loss, marriage, whatever - it's not always fun and easy, but if it's something you believe in deep inside, it's always worth it to stick to it :)

Let's support each other! Happy to share great recipes and cookbooks to keep vegan eating nourishing and interesting!
  • firebloom
    firebloom Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I used to be vegan for moral reasons but when I started paying closer attention to my health, I realised that a lot of the foods that I was eating to replace meat and dairy had so many unnatural and heavily processed ingredients that I really didn't want to be eating. I'm not saying that veganism can't be done but it wasn't for me. Now I'm an omnivore but I only eat organic meat, eggs and dairy because of the higher ethical standards.
  • shartran
    Options
    I feel better now that I've incorporated fish, some eggs and a bit of dairy (yogurt only) back in.

I think my body needed more fat though. I could probably just eat more fat and forego the animal products, but I do enjoy the above items and wanted them.

A little weird at first (going from a strict diet), but I sure do feel better now:)
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    firebloom wrote: »
    I used to be vegan for moral reasons but when I started paying closer attention to my health, I realised that a lot of the foods that I was eating to replace meat and dairy had so many unnatural and heavily processed ingredients that I really didn't want to be eating. I'm not saying that veganism can't be done but it wasn't for me. Now I'm an omnivore but I only eat organic meat, eggs and dairy because of the higher ethical standards.

Actually, "organic animal products" doesn't have much to do with animal welfare. It means that animals must be fed organic foods, but a lot of welfare-related rules are self-regulated. Male chicks in the egg industry are still "disposed of", dairy cows can be confined/tied up, chickens still get their beaks clipped. There's also no "organic" method of slaughter, so producers can use any method from boiling alive to bludgeoning.

Organic animal products are good if you're looking to lessen the amount of hormones, chemicals, etc. you're ingesting from those foods, but it doesn't do much in terms of animal welfare.
  • shartran
    Options

Actually, "organic animal products" doesn't have much to do with animal welfare. It means that animals must be fed organic foods, but a lot of welfare-related rules are self-regulated. Male chicks in the egg industry are still "disposed of", dairy cows can be confined/tied up, chickens still get their beaks clipped. There's also no "organic" method of slaughter, so producers can use any method from boiling alive to bludgeoning.

Organic animal products are good if you're looking to lessen the amount of hormones, chemicals, etc. you're ingesting from those foods, but it doesn't do much in terms of animal welfare.

true enough - that is why one NEEDS to source out 'where' the items come from. I buy from a local farmer who does not do this (above) as he has a handful of chickens only that he maintains and the yogurt produced is from cows that he raises - again not in mass amounts...
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

But, that's part and parcel to the larger issue that labeling something 'organic' is largely a meaningless marketing ploy, from a United States regulations perspective; it may be different in other countries, but I've not seen evidence of this personally. Penn & Teller's Showtime series with the censored name did some discussion on this, if I recall correctly.