WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies!
    Hope everyone is doing well. Have been lurking off and on. I have missed being here as I have got extremely busy with my new school and the work there. Needless to say I put on some weight too :s When I go through the posts here there is always a suggestion I can use or someone else going through the same trying situation, which helps me to overcome my self pity <3
    Best wishes to all
    Barbie thanks for the thread and all the inspiration.
    Anamika from Mumbai
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,952 Member
    Options
    smiley-happy093.gifTonight we went to the yearly Gratitude Dinner. About 300 people attended dinner followed by an inspirational speaker. We sat with a great group of people which was a really good thing since our table was called last to go through the food line. The committee buys several turkeys and hams to be cooked by volunteers and the rest of the food is potluck. Every year I cook a turkey. My potluck contribution was a double amount of cole slaw. I took my time going through the food line and chose wisely. My plan was to have one plate of food, no seconds, no dessert, and no foods that were things I don't normally eat. The speaker was great but he talked a little too long. We have turned our clocks back and will be in bed soon. smiley-sleep012.gifThe only reason I am still up this late is that I napped for 90 minutes this afternoon.

smiley-happy110.gif If you are new to this thread, I hope you will keep coming back and join in the conversation....before too long, you'll feel like part of the family.

smiley-greet013.gifAnamika, I'm glad to see you again....my life isn't as busy as yours and yet some days all I can do is read the posts without responding

smiley-happy020.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washingtonsmiley-happy093.gif

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

My word for 2014 is “mindful”

November Resolutions
    *walk 18,000 steps a day
    *don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
    *strength training twice a week
    *put important dates on the 2015 wall calendar

146200.png
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I am VERY happy to have LOST 3 lbs in a week.
    Went for a drive out, got to Ulverstone to walk dog, raining, so only a short walk.
    Came home, pork in oven to roast. Then off I went for my 1 hour road walk. Col, very windy and drizzling. BUT 11705 steps by 4pm. happy with that
  • karris43
    karris43 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    So today I'm going to walk 5k on my treadmill. I did it last Sunday and today I'm going to add the strength training afterwards.

There are so many great ideas here. I'm inspired now to walk at lunchtimes and to really think about what I'm eating. Although I definitely think the key to weight loss for me is to be more active.

Looking forward to checking in with you lovely ladies every day x
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Michele: you freeze the bananas and then thaw them? How long do you thaw them? I must know all the details. :D

Michele, Sue and others: about the apple thing, I used to make a dessert we affectionately call "the apple thing". I cored an apple, put some raisins and cinnamon in the hole left from the core, and nuked it for a couple of minutes until it was hot and soft. Added some yoghurt. Maybe I should pull that out again too. I can always dress it up with oats, granola, nuts or whatever if there's room in my calories. (Room in my calories, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha)

Last day of the outdoor café today, sob. At least it's sunny so far and I hope it will be when we get there later.

Hope everyone has a good day.
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png
  • PennyGK
    PennyGK Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday Ladies! It's great to start my day catching up on your posts and feeling inspired for the day . . . . today it's about smart choices at the grocery store. I'm going to resist the urge to rush through the store and "get it over with" and really pick out foods that will jump start my week. Sunday is a prep day for me. Keeping on track is always easier for me when I'm prepared. Lunch is the meal that sabotages my daily plans so that is the meal I will focus on today. I think a huge spaghetti squash is on my list . . .so many things you can to it and it's so delicious and filling.
    Have a wonderful Sunday!
    Penny in New Hampshire
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,740 Member
    Options
    well I am up, slept well, and have to jump in the shower and then off to 8 o clock mass for my Godson,then off to grocery shop,and come home and cook... trying to find stuff for the DH for dinners, that is a little lower in calories than what he has been eating.. me too for that matter
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies :flowerforyou:

Kim :) I had a nice giggle at the cheeseburger being the best food choice :laugh:, I think the apple donut sounds awesome :blushing:!

Michele :) Any pictures of the Halloween decorations? It's one of my favorites holidays, and this year our Halloween dinner didn't work out :frown: :'( .

Cynthia :) Hope you enjoy your time at the cafe today <3 !!!! I got a giggle from you too about room in the calories, you can squeeze an apple in :big smile:!

Welcome to everyone new :flowerforyou: !

I'm on my iPad so I'm not going to try for a longer post right now, since it cuts things off :# !

Have a wonderful day!
    Hugs, DeeDee in chilly NC
  • jlisah
    jlisah Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This is my first post here and I'm happy to see a group for women over 50. I used MFP years ago to lose some weight, but over the past two years the weight has really been creeping up. The doctor said that if I diet and exercise the way I used to, I will still gain weight due to menopause - that it has to be more than that. I am 55 and my November goal is simply to walk, drink 8+ glasses of water, log my food intake every day, and not drop off this site as I so often do. I work long hours - going out to walk at night when it's dark and cold will be a challenge.
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Went to the theatre last night with some dear friends to see "The Kite Runner" this was one of the books we read at our book club a few months ago. It was very good, and mirrored the book quite well. A good job it was all booked and paid for a few weeks ago otherwise I doubt if I'd have gone. As it was, it was good to get a break and DH was ok about it.

Today though DH is not feeling so good, so it is back to the worrying again. I wish he would eat a bit more, but his mouth is so sore (oral thrush) that it is putting him off eating and I think that is why he now has a stomach ache, probably his stomach shrinking!

At least we have a GP appt on Tuesday and also a hospital out patient appt in the afternoon. I think I'll call the GP tomorrow though to ask about his stomach ache and what can be done.

We had a few trick or treaters not as many as in previous years, I wonder if it is not as popular in this part of the UK. Most of them were tiny tots with their mums shouting from the gate "say thank you" aww they looked so cute in their little costumes.

Where are you getting your little emotions thingies? Since MFP has changed I only have the choice of a few smiley faces a star or a heart - must admit I am finding it hard to navigate myself around the new features.

Have a good Sunday everyone - catch you tomorrow.

Viv Sunny but cool York UK

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Renny: I love yoga, too. I have gained so much strength, flexibility and balance by going to yoga classes. My teacher will be quitting in the relatively near future and I’ll have to find another. I’m not happy with phone app yoga although it is better than no yoga at all. :flowerforyou:

Joyce: I think of my computer as a friend, too. I’m glad yours is working again. Click on the star in the corner when you are actually on this month's thread. It will come to the November thread. :flowerforyou:

Liz from Halifax: We don’t see you often enough. I hope things are going well in your life these days. :flowerforyou:

Lesley in Tasmaina: Congratulations on the weight loss! :flowerforyou:

Trish: Logging every bite is the key to understanding what is going on in our bodies and also the key to success. You are smart! :flowerforyou:

Kim: The thank you note is a good idea, and I’ll try it next time. The girls are three and can’t write or draw. They can scribble. This year, the neighbors will be getting thank you notes from me. :heart:

Anamika: We haven’t seen you in ages! I’m so glad you’ve posted! I hope we see you often. :flowerforyou:

Cynthia: I hope you have nice weather for your last day at the café. :flowerforyou:

jlisah: In the winter I do active things indoors. One of them is yoga class away from home, but the other is to ride my bike on a trainer in the garage. It has been one of the best things I can do to stay active and burn calories, and it is available any time of day and is weatherproof. :flowerforyou:

Viv in York UK: You & your DH are in my prayers. I hope the doctor can help to deal with the thrush. We haven’t had trick-or-treaters in years except for grandchildren of neighbors once in a long while. This year it was my DGD and my dear cousin’s DGD. Most of the trick or treating is done in newer subdivisions with lots of kids. :flowerforyou:

My DSIL sent me an article about smart phone flashlight apps sold through google being full of spyware that mines the phone for financial and spending information and sends it off to sources in China and other foreign countries. I’ll be contacting Apple to see if my flashlight app does this. If so, I may become flashlight free and that would be a shame.

This is fallback morning and I have clocks to reset. My computer sets itself but everything else needs attention.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

November Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!

30881843.png

• myrtfgo
    Options
    Morning all.
    New here to the site. Working Wonderslim at the moment. have a goal in mind for a wedding next June and before my 60th birthday next Aug.

NOV Goals
    Stay within caloric range
    Enter food daily
    Exercise (moderate besides my normal dog walking) 3x week 30-45 min
    Drink water
    Check blogs.
    Be honest in my logging food
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,952 Member
    Options
    jlisah wrote: »
    This is my first post here and I'm happy to see a group for women over 50. I used MFP years ago to lose some weight, but over the past two years the weight has really been creeping up. The doctor said that if I diet and exercise the way I used to, I will still gain weight due to menopause - that it has to be more than that. I am 55 and my November goal is simply to walk, drink 8+ glasses of water, log my food intake every day, and not drop off this site as I so often do. I work long hours - going out to walk at night when it's dark and cold will be a challenge.

I made walking every day a requirement for me....where I live it is darker but not as cold as where you live. I bought footwear that is suitable for walking and that keep my feet warm in extremely cold temperatures. Warm feet keep everything else warm. I have a balaclava to keep my face warm, gloves, down coats, wool socks, hats, and scarves and a good flashlight. Also an mp3 player for listening to music and podcasts makes the time pass quickly and productively....and a pedometer to give me "credit" for the distance I walk.

:smiley: Barbie from NW Washington
  • hoff2002
    hoff2002 Posts: 64 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hi everyone! I joined MFP on October 6th. I'm 60 years old and I have an extreme amount of weight to lose. I need to lose about 150 lbs. I'm, also, a diabetic who is now insulin dependent. I'm a registered nurse working in Information Systems, so it isn't that I don't have the knowledge of what I'm supposed to do. I'm just not doing it. I've been on many diets. My most successful has been a low carb diet which helps with my diabetes, but I have a habit of being so restrictive on the foods that I eat that I end up overeating and have difficulty getting back on the diet. For example, my highest weight was 311 lbs about 8 or 9 years ago. It took me 8 YEARS to get down to 236 lbs and I was so excited. Then I blew my diet and couldn't reign myself in for months. I gained almost 60 lbs back. So here I am trying to see if MFP can help. So far I've lost 10 lbs. I blew it a few times, but since I'm writing everything down that I eat, I'm finding that I'm getting back on track sooner.
    My plan for November is to continue to write down everything that I've eaten even when it makes me cringe at how much I've eaten! This month I want to begin to incorporate exercise into my plan. At present I've very sedentary, so I need to take it slow; even if that means I will exercise just 5 to 10 minutes a day. I have to start somewhere.
    I'm hoping that there will be others on this site that will know where I'm coming from and we can help to motivate one another toward our goals. I'm glad that I stumbled on this site. I'm looking forward to getting to know many of you!
    Thanks,
    Barb (hoff2002) from South Louisiana

• yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hi, everyone,

Once again, at the beginning of the month we have truly exploded with new posters. Welcome to all!!! Please keep coming back and remind us where you are from each time at the end of your post......specific or general location. Comment on what strikes your fancy and tell us about your lives. People will get to know you and you will be part of the (hands down) best, most supportive and welcoming thread on MFP!!!

I absolutely LOVE my yoga instructor!!!! I went to class yesterday morning (very reluctantly) with a lot of mid and lower back pain after being up most of the night with it; she worked one on one (hands on) with me for a short amount of class time and I've had no real pain since!!! Just a bit of stiffness this am and very, very slight ache where the worst of the pain was. LOL, Wonder if I can put her on retainer??? She is a marvel!!!! She's in her mid-40's, single, teaches at a local college; she's the person I took the chicken soup and cold care package to when she had such a bad cold about 6-9months ago.......neat, neat, woman.

Cynthia.........Cute backpack!!! What a nice thing for you to do for their child; I bet they'll remember you as one of their most special and treasured customers.

Liz and Anamika..........Nice to see you both posting here, please come back again and keep us updated on your lives.

Sylvia..........Yes, seems like you have a new dog! Congratulations! Have you mentioned him to your ill friend yet?

Viv.......I am so glad you kept your plans and went to that show. Your life is pretty much in upheaval right now and these bits of "normal" life are very important to maintain for your own well being and balance so you can be there for your DH. You are both in my thoughts and I send you my best.

Cold, very windy, drizzle........truly miserable. DH is still in bed (how does he sleep so long?????) and DD has gone off for a day with horse barn work. I've read the paper and fed the birds........have a couple bananas past their prime, maybe sour cream banana/ walnut bread? Must go to grcery too.....that list is getting very long.......need to eat up/feed others the leftovers today.......butternut squash soup......pork chops.....beef cabbage rice tomato mixture.

Stay strong!
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Well today is the day. Michelle is coming over around 3:30 for us to meet her new guy. Charlie said that he wants to talk to her before he meets the guy. He said he wants to see where her head is coming from, going to or whatever the phrase is. He wants to know if it is a problem of self confidence that she can't fond a guy 'of her kind' and is just settling for whatever she can get. He said he believes a white girl should date some one of her race. So I asked him how come some one of German heritage married a Danish girl? So he said at least we were Americanized. So to that I asked if he didn't think this guy is Americanized. As long as this guy treats Michelle with the upmost respect I don't care if he is purple. I have never known Michelle to be settleing for anything. She is very headstrong, confident, knowing she doesn't need a man to complete her. After her divorce she knew how to handle herself very well and she knows what she wants and what she doesn't want. She realized that she settled for Dan. He was the first decent looking guy that even paid attention to her. She was like that high school kid that was exstatic that the football quarterback said hi. But he was such a charmer and said hi to to many women and she got hurt. She is just now back on her feet and I am happy for her.

She was going to take the candy home with her and take it back to work with her but I am afraid that the little bit I have eaten and the lot of bit that Charlie has eaten, she may not have any!!! We will occasionally split a regular size Snickers bar, even though my favorite is the MIlky Way but he has found out by eating so many of these mini Snickers that the nuts in the Snickers are hard for him to chew with his partial plate and the Milky Way minis pull it out with the caramel. So that makes more Milky Ways to tempt me. Come on Michelle, take them away.

Wearing one of my new outfits for church today! I feel good.

Joyce, Indiana
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. This morning I found out that Spot REALLY does not like baths. I ran the water in the tub and he went to hide under the coffee table. I reached down to pet him, trying to convince him to come with me yo the bathroom, and he bit my hand. Not hard enough to break the skin, but hard enough to bruise. Hubby came out and put him on the leash, but he wouldn't walk down the hall toward the bathroom. He was trembling and crying. Poor baby has had a bad experience in the bath, I think. So we gave up and let him hide for a few minutes, then I sent Bruno and Molly outside to play and he decided to go with them. He's back to normal now, sleeping on my lap. I'm almost afraid to go run the water for my own shower.

Today is hubby's 65th birthday. I've already baked his angelfood and have strawberries thawing. The kids are coming over at 1:30. Should be fun.

Well, that shower has got to be done, so I'll get to it. I hope you are all having a wonderful Sunday (or Monday for those of you in Australia, Tazmania and that corner of the world).

Sylvia
  • jaynalawayna
    jaynalawayna Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hello again - did 4.62 miles (walking) yesterday but will do more today. I intended to add an aerobic exercise or strength training in the evening, but that didn't happen. Had a lovely steelhead trout with mixed vegetables for dinner and may be making pumpkin soup tonight.
    - Jayna
    - Central California
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,272 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    Would love to write more, but I'm feeling washed out!
    Not sure if I've got a UTI. :ohwell: :noway:
    Will see how I am in the morning.

Love Heather x x x x
    27681614.png
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    This weekend has been a vicious downward spiral with my food. Time to switch that back. Tomorrow morning I weigh-in for a contest at work $20 to lose 20 pounds by June 1; everyone who succeeds splits the money. Time to stock up on healthy, filling foods, and take all my Tylenol so I can last a little longer exercising. I even decided to NOT take back the smaller pair of work pants, because I'm sure they will fit again. :)

Terri in Milwaukee