How many different ways can we cook chicken

Options
Adpalangi
Adpalangi Posts: 349 Member
I'm kinda tired of skinless boneless chicken breast baked. Kinda boring to start with. What's your go to chicken recipe

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Cajun Chicken Summer Salad: Cut chicken breast meat into strips. Cook them on a skillet with a spray or two of cooking spray and a sprinkling of cajun spice. Serve on a bed of baby spinach, avocado, mango, cucumber, strawberry and slivered almond salad, with lemon olive oil for dressing.

Oven Fried Chicken: Dip boneless, skinless chicken breast in egg wash and then coat with seasoned panko breadcrumbs. Bake on a baking sheet in a small amount of oil (just enough to lightly cover the pan) and turn halfway through. Serve sliced on a bed of lettuce with a sprig of parsley.

Thai Red Curry Chicken: Heat a little bit of sesame oil in a skillet. Cut chicken into pieces and cook partway. Mix in a bit of red curry paste, some chopped veggies (I like green pepper, onion, carrot, zucchini...) and cook through. Add a can of coconut milk, and a bit of cornstarch to thicken. Serve over a bed of thai jasmine rice.
  • 1wagner
    Options
    Favorite right now is to marinate in Ken's sun dried tomato salad dressing add a little EVOL and kabob and grill under broiler....yummy
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    When I get bored with chicken, that's when I make tacos! (lean ground beef)
  • myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Try different marinades on your chicken. My 2 easy favourites are:

-Lemon and garlic chicken - mix 2 tbs olive oil, 3 tbs lemon juice and 2 cloves crushed garlic.
    -Tandoori style chicken - mix tandoori / tikka curry paste with low fat greek yoghurt.

Cut the chicken breast into chunks, marinate for an hour or so, then thread on to skewers and bake/grill.

I like to do a whole roast chicken on a Sunday and then use leftovers in salads for the week (my partner eats the legs and wings which are higher in fat, plus I don't like them).

Other easy chicken recipes that come to mind...

Cheesy mustard chicken:
    -Chop chicken into cubes.
    -Mix wholegrain mustard, a splash of milk, and some low-fat grated mature cheddar.
    -Put the chicken in an oven dish, smoosh the cheesy mixture on top of it and bake. Serve with boiled new potatoes and steamed green veg.

Bacon/pesto/mozzarella chicken:
    -This one's more of a weekend treat, not super low calorie, but delicious.
    -Slice open a chicken breast to make a pocket and spread with a spoonful of (reduced-fat) green pesto.
    -Add a slice of (reduced fat) mozzarella, then close the chicken breast again.
    -Wrap in bacon or parma ham and bake.
    -I like this served with gnocchi and green beans.

Sweet and sour chicken:
    -I don't have a specific recipe in mind but there are loads out there which aren't too unhealthy - add plenty of veg and fresh pineapple.
    -Here's one recipe I found: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/sweet_and_sour_chicken_52908

But as others have said, you can eat loads of things other than chicken. Lean mince (beef/pork/turkey/veal if you can get it) is versatile for chillis, tacos, bolognese, etc. and you can also make your own burgers and meatballs.

Fish is really healthy and high in protein.

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    How to eat Chicken without wanting to kill yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px7Uc2GrnhE&list=UUduKuJToxWPizJ7I2E6n1kA
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I have been using this recipe for Super Skinny Sweet and Sour Chicken. It's very good, and freezes well too!

skinnykitchen.com/recipes/super-skinny-sweet-and-sour-chicken/
  • Justcallme_J
    Justcallme_J Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Have you tried chicken thighs instead? I get tired of b/s breasts pretty quickly, but b/s thighs have much more flavor for just a few more calories.
    To answer the original question, I do fajitas a lot with chicken breasts. They have a lot of flavor depending on the marinade you use and end up being a fairly low cal meal when you add peppers and onions.
  • VictoriaS57
    VictoriaS57 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This is a great recipe I've been using. Because of the olive oil, it may not be as low-fat as you'd like, however the flavor is wonderful and a little goes a long way. I find I have no trouble making room for this in my calorie counting. I enjoyed this recipe so much I made a large batch of the glaze to keep in the fridge like a pesto, with an olive oil seal. I can reduce the olive oil considerably when doing this and basically use it as a preservative for the garlic and spices and then dig down under the oil seal for the "pesto". I use this on chicken and stir fry my veggies in it. I think it would be great on shrimp, too. I created a recipe on MFP and dole it out a half T at a time. I think I'll reduce the oil even more the next time around. You can use this on skinless as well as whole breasts and legs.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/bakedchicken/r/r90315f.htm
  • Adpalangi
    Adpalangi Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Adpalangi wrote: »
    I'm kinda tired of skinless boneless chicken breast baked. Kinda boring to start with. What's your go to chicken recipe

um, why are you eating only chicken? You do realize you can have fish, beef and pork, right?

I have a lot of chicken breast in my freezer. Bought a family PAC, cause I bake chicken a lot. I want to try something different.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    For goodness sake stopping eating that junk. Eat it in the normal way and preferably choose free range chicken if you must it. It will have less fat and the chicken will have had a better life.

Bake chicken casseroles in the french style like coq au vin etc. Or italian. Those cuisines are excellent with anything.
  • Squatch3099
    Squatch3099 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Three or four chicken breasts, rinsed and dried. Coat in a little olive oil, lay in a glass baking pan that is sprayed with non stick cooking spray. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Over chicken pour a mixture of 1/2 Cup tomato sauce or barbecue sauce, 1/2 Cup pineapple puree, any seasonings you like. Make sure mixture is poured on the top of chicken. Do not cover. Bake for 1 hour and 15 to 20 minutes. Check with cooking thermometer for 170 degrees at least. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving. Top with Mandarin Orange segments for a Hawaiian style main dish. Serve over wild rice.
  • 5stoneoffLinda
    Options
    Chicken Kiev - stuff chicken breast with garlic (crushed) and quark cheese and wrap in bacon. If you've got enough calories, make breadcrumbs (white are best) and brush bacon with egg and spray low fat calorie spray on to a metal baking tin, put on some breadcrumbs to make the base and then pop on the bread crumbed bacon wrapped chicken kiev on top and cook in oven for 45 minutes. Hope you like it!!!!
  • Squatch3099
    Squatch3099 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Watch out for the type of chicken you buy. Check the sodium content. A lot of the "Value Pack" chicken is older chicken and will be tougher than the smaller chicken breasts. A lot of chicken is injected or soaked in sodium as a preservative and to plump up the general appearance. There is a big difference between 40 mg sodium per 4 oz. and 170 mg per 4 oz. Look at your ankles!
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    For goodness sake stopping eating that junk. Eat it in the normal way and preferably choose free range chicken if you must it. It will have less fat and the chicken will have had a better life.

Bake chicken casseroles in the french style like coq au vin etc. Or italian. Those cuisines are excellent with anything.

Why kill an animal that is having a good life?!? That's just mean!!!
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    With chicken, the sky's the limit!
    You can barbecue it, grill it, broil it, bake it, saute it...and you can have chicken-kabobs, chicken creole, chicken gumbo, pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried...
    What else?
    There's pineapple chicken, lemon chicken, coconut chicken, pepper chicken, chicken soup, chicken stew, chicken salad, chicken and potatoes, chicken burger, chicken sandwich... That- that's about it.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »
    With chicken, the sky's the limit!
    You can barbecue it, grill it, broil it, bake it, saute it...and you can have chicken-kabobs, chicken creole, chicken gumbo, pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried...
    What else?
    There's pineapple chicken, lemon chicken, coconut chicken, pepper chicken, chicken soup, chicken stew, chicken salad, chicken and potatoes, chicken burger, chicken sandwich... That- that's about it.

I read that in the voice of bubba from forest gump! Made me smile!!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I read that in the voice of bubba from forest gump! Made me smile!!

Ah, but have you ever been on a real chicken boat?
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    ooh bump
  • Dietcise
    Dietcise Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Marinate in Italian dressing & then grill it!