Key Habits of people who successfully have lost weight

Options
Hi,
I wanted to put a list of all the habits / things the people on here who have / are losing weight do. For example keeping a diary of your food, shopping on a Sunday evening for loads of fruit and veg, distraction techniques.

Can you post anything that you think has been key to successfully losing weight?

Thanks

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Weigh and Log everything daily
    Eat everything (as in don't cut anything out) in moderation
    Exercise for cardiovascular health
    Enjoy life and don't sweat the small stuff
  • JeralynSh
    JeralynSh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

I agree with all of this!
    Also, be CONSISTENT!

• GeeWillickers
    GeeWillickers Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I think you should consider expanding that out to keep habits of those who have lost weight and not gained it back.

If you slip up put it on yourself but don't carry it with you. Everyday is a fresh start.
    Work on your mental, emotional self at least as much as your physical self every day.
    Setup rewards for milestones.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options

That's basically it. Personally I'll add:
    Eating a lot of small meals instead of 3 large a day.
    Originally, I used MFP calories and only did cardio so I could get some more calories for dinner, and I thought that was kind of fun. It really helped me eat what I wanted.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Regular exercise.... Being consistent.... Enjoying treats...
  • bmo1324
    bmo1324 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Everything Ninkyou said is on point but I'll add some as well:

In general:
    Workout by doing something you enjoy
    Think long-term
    Think healthy! (Don't body compare!)
    Keep a food journal or use an app
    Preparing your own food and doing so ahead of time

For me personally:
    Protein, keep adding protein - helps to keep me full and is helping with workouts
    Mindfully eating
    Planning for social eating (planning ahead in general)
    Workout buddy and consistent workout schedule
  • parkerpowerlift
    parkerpowerlift Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I wanted to put a list of all the habits / things the people on here who have / are losing weight do. For example keeping a diary of your food, shopping on a Sunday evening for loads of fruit and veg, distraction techniques.

Can you post anything that you think has been key to successfully losing weight?

Thanks

1.) Consistently logging every single day. If I don't log it right after I eat it, then at least logging my foods before bedtime. Seeing my logging streak grow larger and larger is quite nice! I'm close to 140 days straight!

2.) Seeing my current results and knowing that I have a system that works for me pushes me to keep on going! Why fix what's not broken?

3.) Over the summer, I decided to post my Couch to 5k and Couch to 10k results on my Facebook page. Whenever I weigh in and lose weight, my weigh in is posted to my page for all of my friends to see, which keeps me more accountable! It's not for everybody but for me, it's nice to have my friends and family's support!

4.) Consistency with working out. Unless I have a crazy busy week, I tend to work out a minimum of 3 days a week. If I'm lucky, I go every other day.

5.) Knowing that if I go over my calories one day, I can make up for it by cutting back the rest of the week. As long as your total weekly calorie goal is met, you can lose.

Everybody else has posted great stuff! Good luck!

• nsg2404
    Options
    RE: TIPS . . . . . . I found that entering what I want to have for my evening meal at the beginning of the day helps. It means you can adjust your food intake during the day and eat lower calorie items and you have something yummy to look forward to later!
    I also don't add my exercise until last thing at night. This helps me to stick to daily calorie target (without extra for the exercise) and then I have something left for late at night if I feel peckish.
  • WhoWasGivenToFly
    WhoWasGivenToFly Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    logging, logging, logging
    knowing what a serving size of any food looks like
  • wendyallcorn
    wendyallcorn Posts: 10 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    great thanks everyone ; )
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    For me these are big helpers to staying on track and losing weight.

1. Be honest with myself and log everything
    2. Buy a food scale and weigh everything
    3. Only weigh in once a week so not to get upset by the day to day fluctuations
    4. I plan my meals for the week on Saturday and go to the grocery store that day and get everything
    5. I meal prep everything I can ahead of time on Sunday so it is all grab and go and no reason for me to deviate from my plan.
    6. Keeping protein levels around 125g or above a day seem to keep me the most full. (I do lift 5-6 days a week though so that is why I aim for higher protein.)
    7. While exercise isn't a must to lose weight I highly suggest it. Your body feels so much better when you exercise and for me it really makes me look at what I am putting into my body. I know how long it took me to burn 400 calories so do I really want that piece of pizza.
    8. Have something that makes you feel satisfied as often as possible but fit it into your daily calories. I have a 1/2 a cup of ice cream everyday. It is a small enough amount around 100 calories that I can fit it into my daily allowance and it also helps keep those feelings of wanting sweets etc away :)

I should also add that I am not perfect and I have bad days, we all do and realizing that those days really do help make us stronger is key. We learn from the bad days, what triggered it, what we can do better next time and how to handle them in the future. In the last 3.5 years I have lost 233lbs so far with a goal of losing 300. I have learned a lot about my body and my mind and how to make them work together. :) I suggest you also take time to listen to yours and learn what is best for you and your body :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Everything she said. And remember you'll need to keep up with it when you reach your goal so you don't gain it all back.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    It's also interesting to think about the habits of people who have never been overweight. Most of them aren't sedentary. Most of them can have a bite or two of something and then leave the rest. Most of them don't binge eat the chocolate chip cookie dough in the freezer! I strive to have a moderate lifestyle. I think that will bring me the most satisfaction and hopefully good health!
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks

1. No excuses
    2. Learn how to count

That is all that is required, really!
  • jesusarolon
    jesusarolon Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    JeralynSh wrote: »

I agree with all of this!
    Also, be CONSISTENT!

I agree as well.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    ...I wanted to put a list of all the habits / things...

1. Why do you want to know?
    2. You overshot the question. DEVELOPING habits is the point.

Doing something once or over a short time is relatively easy. Changing your neural pathways until you have a habit is the hard part. It is a physical change, as much as building muscle.

• nessab70
    nessab70 Posts: 47 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I couldnt agree more with you I eat what i want within reason I stick to my daily calories and if I want an extra special treat I workout more

I also do my weekly meal plan so cooking dinner is much easier, I started this journey at the beginning of September and have lost 9kg so far,

I also workout and walk until I have done the minimum of 10 000 steps per day

I bought a fitbit a few weeks ago after umming and ahhing over it and it was the best thing I ever did.

Hope this helps :)

• cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    prepping food for the week ahead of time over the weekend: grill some proteins, cook some veggies, some grains, make a frittata, a pot of soup, etc. things that you can throw together to create new meals are great to have.

Don't give up anything or tell yourself to do anything that you won't be able to do forever. Cutting out food groups, exercise you hate, etc--it's not about reaching a goal and stopping, it's about a gradual downward trend towards what you think is a healthier weight and working to stay there.

Slow weight loss or no gaining is great too! Don't struggle or set yourself up to fail by setting unrealistic expectations.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    For me, the most important things to do and keep up with are:
    -Eating moderately and being aware of what I'm eating, and when losing weight, logging food very carefully
    -Intense exercise several times a week (the more I move, the more I am able to eat and still lose weight, so this is a good motivator for me when losing)
    -Being honest with myself
    -Having good food options available in the house (when I get hungry, I am HUNGRY and need to eat and it's way easier to deal with that if there are appetizing, lower-calorie snacks)
    -I refuse to give up any food. When losing weight I eat way less of certain foods, but I still eat them, and when maintaining I eat them in moderation.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options

This. Honestly, I'm not an exerciser at all -- it just does not work for me -- but eating reasonable portions of foods I like works just fine. (And sometimes unreasonable portions. I ate half a homemade pizza yesterday. It was great.)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!