What should I do in the gym

Options
Hello,

I'm just starting my weight loss journey again and have about 100 lbs. to lose. I would, of course, like to incorporate exercise into my weight loss plan but am not sure what to do in the gym. Because I am overweight (250 lbs) it's challenging to do many things. Also, I'm not sure how long I should be working out for.

Do you ladies and gentlemen have any suggestions for me?

Replies

• sazrina
    sazrina Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I find the treadmill and crosstrainer give me the highest calorie burn. If you have a lot to lose I would say go for a decent amount of cardio to help you create a good calorie deficit. If you can't run you can still burn a lot of calories by walking on the treadmill at an incline
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I started at 244, doing 15 min on the Stationary Bike and Elliptical, increased my time and resistance along the way to 30 min each or a 45-60 on one or the other. Being that it's Fall I would suggest the Treadmill for walking unless you can add more walking outside slowly increasing distance and speed. Good luck!
  • reneereeser
    Options
    Elliptical is gentle on the joints and a lotta bang for the buck!
    You'll start off, things get easier, then you increase the intensity-
    However, REMEMBER building muscle means your burn even MORE calories OUTSIDE of the gym ... and even while you SLEEP! So strength training and cardio will blast the pounds off!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Start with the treadmill or elliptical. Does your gym have a pool? As far as duration, do it as long as you're comfortable, you will work up endurance as you go along.
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    Biking, elliptical, treadmill walking, strength training, swimming, water jogging, rowing, arc trainer, etc
  • splashtree2
    Options
    Hello,

I'm just starting my weight loss journey again and have about 100 lbs. to lose. I would, of course, like to incorporate exercise into my weight loss plan but am not sure what to do in the gym. Because I am overweight (250 lbs) it's challenging to do many things. Also, I'm not sure how long I should be working out for.

Do you ladies and gentlemen have any suggestions for me?

CIRCUIT are OK and you don't get bored, you make it with weight or not and is a good cardio developing endurance as well.