Best weight loss shakes?

Options
Im at 135 looking to loose about 10lb. Does anyone have any opinions on best/worst weight loss shakes? Are there any at the supermarket that are good? How about total lean by gnc? Any input would be helpful, thanks! :)

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Personally I would say to save your money. A lot can be very expensive, and are not conducive to long-term weight loss management and lifestyle changes if you do not plan on taking them forever. You can make a calorie deficit for free, and one that won't be overpriced like a lot of shakes and supplements branded as "weight loss aids".

If you do want to buy something, I'd recommend protein powder if it's hard for you to reach your protein goals.

Otherwise, the only "shakes" I like are homemade smoothies. I find they can make a very filling breakfast when you're on the go, and can easily pack in enough calories to cover a meal for you. :)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    CICO. shakes won't make you lose weight.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Turn your wallet upside down and shake it.....wa'la! you have now lost as much as you're going to off a shake. You lose from a caloric deficit.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what about a shake would make you lose weight?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I'm going to go with either from puking because they're nasty... or starving because you've blown through 1/3 of your calories and are hungry and hour later.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I'm going to go with either from puking because they're nasty... or starving because you've blown through 1/3 of your calories and are hungry and hour later.

I think the latter.
  • ivylauren02
    Options
    I have a super crazy schedule and feel like substituting a shake for a meal maybe once or twice a day will help me better maintain my calorie intake. Just wondering if anyone has had experiences with them!
  • reneereeser
    Options
    welp-- Having been down this road before, even tho I work typically min 60 hour weeks, i do best when i consciously control the nutrition...
    i tend to make my own w/ protein powders and almond milk- adding in frozen banana, blueberry kale (that's a fave)-
    - there are so many recipes you can find on the net-
    - if you need more sweet , toss in half a packet of stevia...

- and be careful with soy based smoothies if you've got thyroid issues...
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I have a super crazy schedule and feel like substituting a shake for a meal maybe once or twice a day will help me better maintain my calorie intake. Just wondering if anyone has had experiences with them!

Yeah, everybody's busy. And shakes are still a waste of money. With only 10 lbs to lose, your goal should be a 0.5 lb per week loss. At this point, eating real food really is the way to go. I'm saying this as someone who is in the same place in terms of weight loss. There is not a lot of room for error in your logging with such a small deficit, so you really need to take this time to learn proper portion sizes and develop a sustainable lifestyle.

Shakes, meal replacements, prepackaged meals (LC, SmartOnes) may help you stick to calorie count, but they are diet nightmares because as soon as you lose the weight and stop using them, the pounds have a tendency to creep back on. Learn to fit regular food into your life and your schedule, and you're much more likely to keep the weight off.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options

I use the Lean 25 protein shake from GNC (200) , I toss a serving of fruit (60 calls) a cup of unsweetened almond milk (45) calories and blend it (total calories 305). I have to eat breakfast because of low blood sugar levels this shake works great for me because it has 25g of protein which helps keep your sugars from crashing. Mornings are insane here (I have 4 kids and a hubby to get out the door and carpool around in the morning). The shake lasts me until lunch (where I usually have a second shake, unless time allows then I have either a sandwich or a salad). It's been working great for me so far i'm losing an average of 2 pounds per week and don't feel hungry.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Im at 135 looking to loose about 10lb. Does anyone have any opinions on best/worst weight loss shakes? Are there any at the supermarket that are good? How about total lean by gnc? Any input would be helpful, thanks! :)
    I am not sure what the best meal shake is. Maybe there is a difference. They're all just basically chocolate milk you know.
    2w5xfe40cmsk.jpg

Another alternative is to eat right and learn to lose the weight steadily and safely with lasting results. Eat real food...lean meats, raw dairy, beans, nuts, fresh fruits and veggies and whole grains.
    Losing weight and getting fit is simple but hard. We all know what to do.
    • Eat Clean + Calorie Deficit + Exercise = RESULTS B)
    That's the winning formula - proven 100%

...or you can try some chocolate milk....

• 50sFit
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You don't have much to lose so let me give you a little advice. Focus on working out, lifting and toning. You can lose as much weight as you want fast but you're not going to look how you want. Google skinny fat. Then google 18-19% bf female.

Look into eating more protien fruit and vege.

Don't waste time on liquid calories. The shakes aren't magic, they don't teach you how to keep weight off and they don't make you lose weight. They're just low in calories and lazy people like the idea of just 'drinking the pounds away' which does not happen. I've been there :(.

If you do want help, and still want shakes, i'd start with protien shakes in the mornings if youre finding you lack protien. This will help A LOT.

If someone could link guide to sexy pants. That would be wonderful <3

Its something i think everyone should read when joining MFP as it will teach you a lot and save you from wasting time and money.

I hope this helps, all the best to you on your fitness journey :)

DONE!
    Here is a great read which may help.

A guide to get you started on your path to sexypants
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Enjoy!
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Simple answer: Shakes aren't for losing weight - they are for gaining muscle.
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    No, shakes are not for gaining muscle. Shakes don't just make people gain muscle. Shakes do help provide protein if you're having trouble getting it from whole foods or need a convenient source.

To gain muscle it's take a whole lot more work than just drinking a shake.

Let me rephrase - i lift.
  • 50sFit
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Chocolate milk is also used for losing weight. People drink it as a meal replacement for fast, temporary weight loss.
    And when you drink chocolate milk with a meal, it can help add some bulk.
    Chocolate milk is versatile like that.
    I recommend Nesquick with added syrup for fast weight gain....
    tj5eqrqolmf3.jpg
  • cowleyl
    cowleyl Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have just started using Aldi meal replacement shakes at breakfast time. They have assisted me greatly in improving my protein intake, which I had struggled with for a long time. They are very flavoursome, and I have them with a piece of fruit. This week I lost 2.4 kg, the most I have lost in a long time.