How much weight can you gain in one day?

Options

Replies

• bbg_daryl
    bbg_daryl Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Interesting article and I bet it would be difficult to test out in real life without some pro scientists and extensive research. Since the article has zero sources, who knows what they're basing their info on.

Everyone's weight fluctuates 2-5 pounds in the course of normal day. That's why we're always directed to weigh in at the same time of day when we're trying to lose, so it's a little more closer to an accurate reading.

And I dunno.... I think if it was a certain time of the month, I could eat as much food as the article said! xD
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    devlinv1 wrote: »
    Interesting article and I bet it would be difficult to test out in real life without some pro scientists and extensive research. Since the article has zero sources, who knows what they're basing their info on.

Everyone's weight fluctuates 2-5 pounds in the course of normal day. That's why we're always directed to weigh in at the same time of day when we're trying to lose, so it's a little more closer to an accurate reading.

And I dunno.... I think if it was a certain time of the month, I could eat as much food as the article said! xD

You and I both. Challenge accepted and accomplished, lol.

I think the underlying premise (that I inferred) is that to eat 3,500 ABOVE one's maintenance level is no easy feat (cough, not for me if I set my mind to it). But yeah, we see it ourselves and from others--normal daily fluctuations are NORMAL, and typically not fat gain (if we're eating in deficit or even a smidge above maintenance).

Nothing groundbreaking in that article. Of course one day of indulgence will not make us gain, just as one day of "dieting" will not make us slim.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I just gained at least 3.......chocolate :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well yeah, it's nothing new... You'd have to eat 3500 calories over your TDEE to gain one pound of fat in one day (although it would probably only show on the scale later).

I just disagree with the article because it's not THAT hard to have 5500 calories, especially if you drink.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    The point it makes ... which is a valid one. Is that if you are usually good one day of blow out can't really mess you up too badly. It is actually worse to be slightly lax on a daily basis than just relax and have a diet free day.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    With one Godiva truffle being between 120-180 calories, I absolutely could do it :)

I don't mean the little truffles that come in the bags at big box stores, I mean the big ones in the case. I used to work there and can easily consume more than I'll admit.

Add in some other junk food and rum, and yeah, I take the challenge. LOL
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I've had some over 6,000 calorie days on my honeymoon at an all inclusive beach resort... It is not too hard to imagine a day there where I might have pancakes for breakfast (conservatively say 800 cals?), a burger and fries for lunch (1,200 cals at least?) , then a steak with mashed potatoes (another 1,200 if you're not eating a huge portion?) and then share a dessert for dinner (300 cals of chocolate lava cake?) . Throw in an ice cream cone (350?) and a few frozen cocktails at the beach (500-1000 cals?). Then a few more drinks/shots at night and and I can easily have a 1 or 2 lb weight gain that day. Sure, even people who have problems with food do not eat like this every single day but it is not impossible. I'm pretty sure if food did not equal to calories and I let myself have whatever and as much as I wanted, I would easily eat 3,500 over my maintenance today and enjoy it.

I have noticed that a lot of my skinnier friends do not get full quicker and do not enjoy feeling too full so maybe an extra 3,500 calories would be hard for them to do. But I enjoy eating a lot and feeling very full and if eating a lot of carbs, will get hungry again soon after I've already eaten. So I am not sure if this article applies well to the people on here since a greater proportion of people who are trying to lose weight may struggle with naturally eating less.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    According to the scale I "gained" 3.4kg since yesterday morning. I know for a fact that it is water weight, and that it was compilcated by the fact that I was dehydrated yesterday morning. As a daily weigher, I'm used to the crazy fluctuations, and never surprised when I see people post freaking out about a massive gain from "one bad day".

I did however eat an absolute buttload of calories yesterday...

• allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I gained 42 pounds in almost exactly six weeks some years back. No alcohol was involved, and I didn't spend the whole day eating. It's certainly not impossible to gain a pound a day.

I'd come off a medication, and even with a slow taper, I had the discontinuation side effect of being ravenously hungry all the time. No matter how much I ate, I was hungry. It gave me a lot of sympathy for the people with Prader-Willi Syndrome.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Absurd, what's flagged as spam on here.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

I think some folk flag anything with a link in it. I feel sorry for the mods who have to give at least a cursory review to all the silly flagging.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I think some folk flag anything with a link in it. I feel sorry for the mods who have to give at least a cursory review to all the silly flagging.
    yup.

But then, I read today that using silly Gifs is "trolling".
  • bbg_daryl
    bbg_daryl Posts: 150 Member
    Options

yup.

But then, I read today that using silly Gifs is "trolling".

What, really? :( That's sad because I used a gif of Jensen Ackles saying "Hi!" in a friending thread. =\