1st 10K is on Nov 2nd. Will I die ?

Options
2»

Replies

• maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Oh, bosh, treadmill works just fine for training though the OP should have experience on the actual course itself and on road too.

I find myself flying on roads because I've been training at running on incline on the treadmill.

And yep, you may find yourself addicted to races eventually!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I just did this! I hadn't even done a 5km program. I had run 5km 3 weeks before the race (did about 5 weeks of a C25K 12 week program which I had started 3 months in advance. Then I took break after break). I posted to this forum 4 weeks before my 10k and everyone said I wouldn't be able to do it. So, feeling discouraged, I stopped training but still went to the race intending to walk as much as I had to even if it took me 2 hours.

I'll have you know I ran that race in 1:24 (I actually think they messed up my time since a few of us got lost and started the race late and I think they forgot to adjust the time. But whatevz, it's close anyway). AND I only walked for 3 minutes because I just had to pee sooooo badly! Had to let it all settle. That's about a 13 min/mile, but still. Ran the whole thing. My knees killed the next day, my foot was sore for 2 days, and now I'm completely back to normal!
    Congrats to you for doing it anyway, even though the naysayers said to not do it.

It always drives me crazy when people in this forum will tell someone who is asking that question that they can't do a race and shouldn't even try. Walking is ALWAYS an option, run/walking in intervals makes it a lot easier than running the whole race, and sometimes the goal is just to finish, not to finish it fast or run the whole distance. Just because someone thinks they can't do it themselves is no reason to tell someone else they can't or shouldn't even try. There are, of course, exceptions to this rule especially if there is an injury but that's a case by case thing. If the OP states their goals are just to finish or even to run/walk it, they shouldn't be told they can't or shouldn't do it.

I know, right? I hate it when people give bad advice. Like I once saw this woman who has only run a handful of below-average half marathons tell a woman with no running base and unmanaged type 1 diabetes that should go totes run a half marathon with 4 weeks of training. Some people are just terrible. Anyway, glad everyone here is being supportive and giving the OP reasonable responses.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Ugh @ treadmill training for real running races.

Actually, just ugh @ treadmill training for anything. Ever.

Oh, sure, I know...there are plenty of supposedly valid reasons for using a treadmill...but honestly, compared to running outside...aka *real* running, it's awful. And the carryover isn't as strong as you might think it would be.

TL;DR - I hate running on treadmills.

Really? That didn't come through in your post. Perhaps you should be more clear? :laugh:

After 20 years of running in all kinds of weather - I actually prefer the treadmill - much closer to the shower and I live at the top of a mountain on the "wet" coast.
  • sjaplo
    Options
    Oh, I am so with you on this. I can't run for more than about 2 minutes on a treadmill without wanting to shoot myself.

Unless you set that treadmill at a significant incline you're not preparing yourself for running outside. It's less boring but it's more difficult because you're pushing against the ground to propel yourself rather than just keeping up with a backward-moving belt.

OP, training for an outdoor race should definitely be done outdoors. Slow your pace down a bit and you may find that the four miles you're struggling with now is much easier.

According to Runners World this just isn't true - although I do set mine at 1% for 80+% of my run. Bad habit that's hard to break.

http://www.runnersworld.com/treadmills/biomechanics-expert-debunks-treadmill-running-myths
  • sjaplo
    Options
    Best advice I can give - slow down - you're not planning on winning are you? Don't get caught up in everyone else's excitement because you'll go out too fast. Plan your pace and stick to it.

And for gosh sakes enjoy the day!
  • jzs20
    jzs20 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback !

Definitely going to start out at a slower pace, at least for the first half and then i'll see how I feel from there ;)
    I'll start skipping the treadmill and running outdoors too. I'm definitely in the minority though cause I honestly enjoy the treadmill headphones and 1% incline and i'm good for an hour or so...

Ultimately I would like to participate in the Broad Street Run here in Philly. (10 Miles)
    If I can conquer that, I may just consider myself a real runner

thanks again
  • jzs20
    jzs20 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    jzs20 wrote: »
    a buddy called me out on a 10 K and I didn't back down, signed up pretty much the same day. Now after running my first 5k back in july and my second next week... i'm starting to have some serious doubts. I mean even on the treadmill @ 4 miles my legs and feet are screaming...

any advice or support would be appreciated

37degrees,Windy and muddy but I completed the 10k ! I Did way better than I expected ... Finished in 64Minutes.

Learned a couple things : Check and double check shoe laces before getting started :/ (They came untied @ mile 5)
    : Invest money into wireless headphones
    : invest in better socks, running with frozen toes didn't feel too good lol

Overall great experience and i'm already looking forward to my first 8K on Nov 23rd.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    yup, dead.
  • Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    sjb74uk wrote: »
    I think you'll have a miserable time if you go out at the same kind of pace as your 5k runs.

If just slow it down, lets say 1 minute slower per km then you'll reach the end just fine. If you're concerned then start a bit slower than that and at the midway point you can speed up if you are feeling good.

Have fun and enjoy a beer afterwards :drinker:

Lol! I'm so going to have a beer when I finish mine in March! I've got plenty of time to train but I'm still thinking wahhhhhhhhh will I make it when I come to it! Good luck, I'm sure you will do just fine and be awesome :-)
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    Glad to hear you survived! When is your first half marathon?